time for generating human genome with annotations

Tiffany Ting Liu

Nov 24, 2015, 11:35:57 AM11/24/15
to rna-star
I was wondering how long it takes to index the human genome with annotations? It's been running for ~1.5 days. I used a single thread. Would this be correct? Thank you so much.

Best,

Tiffany

Alexander Dobin

Nov 24, 2015, 12:18:18 PM11/24/15
to rna-star
Hi Tiffany,

this seems too long. Even with one thread it should take only a few hours. Please send me your Log.out file.

Cheers
Alex

Andy Teich

Dec 17, 2015, 3:19:43 PM12/17/15
to rna-star

Hi - was this issue ever resolved?  I am having the exact same problem.  I can also send my Log.out file if that would help.  Thank you for any input/advice.

Andy

Alexander Dobin

Dec 17, 2015, 6:31:36 PM12/17/15
to rna-star
Hi Andy,

I am not sure it's the same issue, but I have fixed a bug in 2.5.0a/b that was causing stalling of genome generation in some cases.
Please check the latest patch on GitHub master.

Cheers
Alex

steve Shen

Jan 7, 2016, 11:28:25 AM1/7/16
to rna-star
Dear Alex,

It seems to be similar situation for me that process is stalling when generating reference with annotation file. We are using precompiled STAR in Linux_x86_64_static folder of 2.5.0b (downloaded today).

The genome sequence is Homo_sapiens.GRCh38.dna.chromosome.5.fa and GTF file is Homo_sapiens.GRCh38.82-Chr5.gtf, which only chr5 entries are used from general GTF file. Thanks in advance for advice.

By the way, many thanks for this wonderful software. We have been using STAR for DNA variation and RNA splicing detection recently.

Regards,
Steve

Alexander Dobin

Jan 7, 2016, 12:46:46 PM1/7/16
to rna-star
Hi Steve,

could you please send me the Log.out file from the stalled run?

Cheers
Alex