Using End-to-end alignment results in zero chimeric alignments?

Katherine Pillman

Sep 19, 2016, 1:11:58 PM9/19/16
to rna-star
Hello,

Main point: When using the default alignEndsType, I

Back story:
I am relatively new to STAR and have been using it in conjunction with CIRCexplorer to identify circular RNAs.
I noticed in STAR was aligning softclipping some reads that were mapped across chimeric junctions by another program.
I found a post that suggested using end-to-end mapping might fix this (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rna-star/XZgOmZe9Tpg).
I performed exactly the same star run as previously but using the --alignEndsType EndToEnd parameter.
The output has 0 chimeric alignments (where the identical run without EndToEnd identified 497114 chimeric alignments).

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be? Is this expected behaviour - i.e. should EndToEnd not be used for detecting chimeras?

Thanks!

Katherine

Alexander Dobin

Sep 20, 2016, 6:09:12 PM9/20/16
to rna-star
Hi Katherine,

the EndToEnd option should *not* be used for chimeric detection, as it will force all the chimerically split reads to align locally.
What parameters are you using for chimeric detection?

Cheers
Alex

Katherine Pillman

Sep 21, 2016, 8:34:37 PM9/21/16
to rna-star
Hi Alex, thanks for your response!

My command for the non-end-to-end chimeric detection run is:

/data/sacgf/tools/STAR/STAR-STAR_2.5.0c/bin/Linux_x86_64_static/STAR --genomeDir /data/sacgf/reference/iGenomes/Homo_sapiens/UCSC/hg19/Sequence/STAR150Index/ \

--runThreadN 8 \

--runMode alignReads \

--readFilesIn  <one_single_end_fastq_file.gz>\

--readFilesCommand zcat \

--chimSegmentMin 20 \

--twopassMode None \

--outSAMtype BAM SortedByCoordinate \

--quantMode GeneCounts \

--outSAMunmapped Within KeepPairs \

Is this what you wanted?

Cheers, Katherine

Alexander Dobin

Sep 23, 2016, 12:34:03 PM9/23/16
to rna-star
Hi Katherine,

the command looks good.
You could also play with other parameters. For instance, STAR-Fusion uses:
--chimSegmentMin 12 --chimJunctionOverhangMin 12 --alignSJDBoverhangMin 10 --alignMatesGapMax 200000 --alignIntronMax 200000 --chimSegmentReadGapMax 3 --alignSJstitchMismatchNmax 5 -1 5 5  --seedSearchStartLmax 20 --winAnchorMultimapNmax 50

Cheers
Alex

Katherine Pillman

Sep 23, 2016, 8:48:51 PM9/23/16
to rna-star
Thanks Alex, I will try adjusting some of those parameters instead.

Cheers, Katherine