newbie question: How do I link to a postgis db if I am not using rails?

Russell Fulton

Jul 20, 2014, 1:08:33 AM7/20/14
to rgeo-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I have just discovered rgeo.  I am looking at writing some scripts to manipulate data in a post PostGIS database rgeo seems to be a welcome alternative to pygis :)

The sort of thing I want to do is pull data from some postgis tables, massage it a bit and then put it back in a new table.  My current project is to take a bunch of lines and adjust their endpoints so they can be used to make polygons.  The problem being that the end point of one line must match the start of the next exactly for postgis to build polygons from them.  I want to pull the lines in and then find the best match and adjust the endpoints so they match exactly.

So the question is "Is there a straight forward way of getting data from PostGIS into an RGeo program?"

My research has turned up the active record module but I am not using rails.  I want to write a hundred line script not a web application ;)

Russell