Area calculation is invalid

Stenver Jerkku

Apr 15, 2017, 3:16:32 AM4/15/17
to RGeo-Users
So for some reason when I try to calculate a polygon area, the results are extremely small.

> factory = RGeo::Geographic.projected_factory(projection_proj4: "+proj=utm +datum=WGS84 +zone=32T")
> RGeo::GeoJSON.decode(geometry, geo_factory: factory.projection_factory).area
1.7460196668357376e-05

Here is what the geometry looks like - so it's definitely not that small:

I also tried different approaches, like using rgeo shape reader and ask area on geometry from that(in case my factory is invalid) - the results are exactly the same

RGeo::Shapefile::Reader.open(@shpfile_location.to_s) do |file|
  file.each do |record|
    puts record.geometry.area # => 1.7460196668357376e-05
  end
end

Can anybody please give any hints as what could be wrong?