RF Explorer Upconverter

RF Explorer

Oct 30, 2017, 2:00:56 PM10/30/17
to RF Explorer
Introducing this multi-functional device you can use for:
  • Extend your current RF Explorer Spectrum Analyzer to measure frequencies as low as 100KHz
  • Use the included selectable low noise preamplifier on any frequency from 100Khz to 4GHz range
  • Use the included selectable 30dB attenuator on any frequency from 100Khz to 4GHz range

This device can largely improve the measurement capabilities of any Spectrum Analyzer, as well as extend the reception and versatility of your SDR

More info: http://www.rf-explorer.com/upconverter

Full datasheet and additional information will be released in the next few days.

herbert walker

Oct 30, 2017, 7:25:32 PM10/30/17
to RF Explorer
Ariel,
I just noticed the impending release of the upconverter and the WSUB1G+.  I assume that the WSUB1G+ has to be manually switched between bypass and upconvert to cover the entire 50 kHz to 960 MHz range, and that the frequency display and any conversion loss caused by the upconverter  are automatically corrected in firmware.

I also assume that a WSUB1G/WSUB3G also has to be manually switched between bypass and upconvert to cover the entire 50 kHz to 960 MHz range, but I'm not sure how the corrections for frequency display and any conversion loss are to be implemented since a WSUB1G/WSUB3G does not know that the upconverter is selected.  Is the upconverter only intended to be supported for corrected frequency display and conversion loss when used with a WSUB1G/WSUB3G running the Windows software?  If so, when is the software revision supporting the upconverter expected to be released?

If an upconverter menu option is planned for the WSUB1G/WSUB3G to add correction for frequency display when the upconverter is installed, when is the firmware upgrade supporting the menu option expected to be released?  I don't see how  a  upconverter menu option could compensate for conversion loss  unless the loss is flat across the entire frequency range of the upconverter.

Regards,

Herb

Ariel Rocholl

Oct 31, 2017, 7:32:13 AM10/31/17
to RF Explorer
Hi Herb,

Excellent questions, thanks.

See answers below.

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 12:25:32 AM UTC+1, herbert walker wrote:
Ariel,
I just noticed the impending release of the upconverter and the WSUB1G+.  I assume that the WSUB1G+ has to be manually switched between bypass and upconvert to cover the entire 50 kHz to 960 MHz range, and that the frequency display and any conversion loss caused by the upconverter  are automatically corrected in firmware.

Actually that is not required, the WSUB1G+ automatically switches internal mixer so that is totally transparent for the user. Therefore with WSUB1G+ you can scan a range of something like 200KHz - 500MHz in the same screen.

The only (amplitude) manual switching required is for enabling the internal preamplifier or attenuator, by default it always starts in direct mode.

I also assume that a WSUB1G/WSUB3G also has to be manually switched between bypass and upconvert to cover the entire 50 kHz to 960 MHz range, but I'm not sure how the corrections for frequency display and any conversion loss are to be implemented since a WSUB1G/WSUB3G does not know that the upconverter is selected.  Is the upconverter only intended to be supported for corrected frequency display and conversion loss when used with a WSUB1G/WSUB3G running the Windows software?  If so, when is the software revision supporting the upconverter expected to be released?

The operation with the external RF Explorer Upconverter does require manual switching for covering different frequency range, operating the buttons A and B on the Upconverter device. Therefore if you want to measure a range of 200KHz - 500MHz as in previous example, you would need to first do a scan in range 200KHz-240MHz with WSUB1G with Mixer enabled, and then a second scan for the remaining range with Mixer in bypass. The RF Explorer for Windows already includes Frequency Offset option so you just need to set 530MHz offset (Mixer LO) in order to correctly represent this on screen.

If an upconverter menu option is planned for the WSUB1G/WSUB3G to add correction for frequency display when the upconverter is installed, when is the firmware upgrade supporting the menu option expected to be released?  I don't see how  a  upconverter menu option could compensate for conversion loss  unless the loss is flat across the entire frequency range of the upconverter.

Yes, upcoming improvements will allow single menu entry to enable external RF Explorer Upconverter frequency and amplitude compensation using correction files.

More details in just a few days.

herbert walker

Oct 31, 2017, 6:34:34 PM10/31/17
to RF Explorer

Thanks for the reply Ariel,
I think I'll sell one of my two WSUB3G's and get a WSUB1G+.  I'd probably get the upconverter if I only had one WSUB1G/WSUB3G.  Too bad Seed Studio doesn't offer a trade-in program for previous WSUB1G/WSUB3G owners.

Best Regards,

Herb

RF Explorer

Nov 12, 2017, 8:13:47 PM11/12/17
to RF Explorer
The RF Explorer Upconverter datasheet is available (link), including response curves, usage instructions and correction files for RF Explorer for Windows.