New firmware available - v1.06_beta01

Ariel Rocholl

Apr 13, 2011, 7:19:01 PM4/13/11
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

The new Beta 01 for upcoming v1.06 release is available in the
download site .

Additional documentation will follow in a day or two. Please read below a summary of features
added. Any question let me know.

See below a few screenshots of the new features in action.

Regards,
Ariel Rocholl

=============================== Version change list ===============================

* A new Sweep RF Generator feature is available in the RF Generator mode.
  There are options to select frequency step, number of steps and time
  each step will transmit before jumping over the next one.
  In this new mode, the RF Generator frequency is considered the start
  frequency.
  To transmit a single continuous wave (tone) select steps=1.
  This has been tested in 433M units only, but should work in all models.
* Improved battery info on screen, it will show you remaining battery in some
  additional screens, including RF Generator mode.
  Battery icon has been moved to a different position in Spectrum Analyzer mode
  to reduce collision with signal display.
* Sweep/seconds information added to Spectrum Analyzer screen.
* Additional protection check has been added to battery status. The firmware will
  now clearly display a LOW BATTERY message on screen and shutdown MCU and RF modules
  to reduce energy consumption when lipo is reaching a 3.2V limit. This is a safety
  status where the unit can be stored many hours without shortening battery life, but
  the user is advised to power off the unit with power switch or recharge ASAP to avoid
  impact in lipo lifetime.
* <left> and <right> buttons in Spectrum Analyzer mode have been modified to update
  center frequency by a 1/4 of span, not 1/2 as in previous version.
* Spectrum Analyzer mode now has increased sensitivity up to -120dBm limit, thanks to
  finetuned management of RF section, which added about 10dBm to the dynamic range.

Antonio Muñoz

Apr 14, 2011, 3:27:07 AM4/14/11
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ariel,

thanks for the update. I'll try to install it on next monday (tomorrow we have some measurements and everything must be in a known state) and give report throught the week.

BR,

A. Muñoz

Ariel Rocholl

Apr 14, 2011, 12:39:07 PM4/14/11
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonio,

Sounds good, let me know your testing results anytime.

Note this firmware doesn't include additional baud rates nor granular dBm power control, that will come in Beta 02, release date is TBD.

Thanks
Ariel

Slimfish

Apr 19, 2011, 6:16:44 AM4/19/11
to RF Explorer
Hi Ariel,

yesterday i installed the new beta. Comments:

* A new Sweep RF Generator feature...
It's nice, but after testing a little i found that step time is not in
ms but way slower (x4). It would be nice to have it in a SI unit.

* Improved battery info on screen, it will show you remaining battery
in some
additional screens, including RF Generator mode.
Ok

* <left> and <right> buttons in Spectrum Analyzer mode have been
modified to update
center frequency by a 1/4 of span, not 1/2 as in previous version.
Ok

* Spectrum Analyzer mode now has increased sensitivity up to -120dBm
limit, thanks to
finetuned management of RF section, which added about 10dBm to the
dynamic range.
That's very nice. Taking hardware to it's very limits. ;-)

* Sweep/seconds information added to Spectrum Analyzer screen / new
Battery position
It's ok, but i probably would take other approach. As signal marker
can move a lot in the case of modulated signals i would prefer that
freq/amplitude of market remain in a fixed position in screen (top)
along with the battery indicator and sweeps/second. This way freq/
amplitude of marker will not blur the screen in the case of very noisy
signals. In the case proposed, left/right keys could be used to move
marker.

A minor detail: X axis has no units (Y axis has dBm).

My overall impression (-not just this beta-): firmware works good and
has a lot of features already implemented, but the menus/buttons are a
bit confusing to me. I propose some modifications.

-MENU key: should allow you enter in the menu. Navigation through
menus (FREQUENCY, ATTN., CONFIG...), with left/right keys.
-RETURN key: brings you up one level in the menu system or discard
current setting.

Menu tree:
Origin(display)
+FREQUENCY (SPECTRUM A.) MENU
+RF GEN. MENU
+ATTENUATOR (DISPLAY) MENU
+CONFIG MENU
+RF EXPLORER screen

In regard to the menus, i would only add sweep time (if hardware allow
so) to the FREQUENCY (SPECTRUM A.) menu. Maybe also an option to
select the use of left/right keys (either Center freq. or marker) in
CONFIG menu.

I think the menus and use would be more consistent. But again, this is
only my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt.

Regards,

A. Muñoz

Ariel Rocholl

Apr 19, 2011, 7:13:17 AM4/19/11
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonio,

Thanks for your detailed report.

I will check what is wrong with sweep generator time, it should match (ms) not 4x(ms). I think I validated that with my logic analyzer but may not be the case for the very latest binary.

X axis has no MHZ because I'm in the middle of development for Center/Span data being visible there as well. The MHZ unit will come back in Beta 02 together with these added parameters.

As for the manual marker, I agree on its convenience. The default SA screen is designed for non-expert users, but advanced users like you will clearly benefit from a manual marker. I'm working on that for beta 02 or 03, more details will come soon.

As for your great suggestions on menus, I agree too on some redesign may be needed as I add more and more features. I will certainly consider your ideas.

Thanks
Ariel

Ariel Rocholl

May 30, 2011, 6:19:51 AM5/30/11
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

v1.06_Beta02 is almost ready to go. It includes several enhancements and firmware code to work with upcoming expansion modules for Sub1Ghz wideband (240-960Mhz) and 2.4Ghz bands.

It also include 3dBm increment granularity for sweep RF Generator, and several additional RS232 commands you can see listed on the wiki, which will enable a set of new rich functionality in the Windows PC Client.

I hope to finish all beta testing by end of this week. Stay tuned.

Cheers
Ariel