routing like in express ???

Jakub Milkiewicz

Apr 23, 2015, 11:24:19 AM4/23/15
to res...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Today i started learning restify and the first step was to read http://mcavage.me/node-restify/. As i am pretty familiar to express i was expecting that a lot of stuff would simply work the same way. I wasn't disappointed with my assumption as in the guide there are a number references to express. One is in routing section:" in 'basic' mode, is pretty much identical to express/sinatra,". Forgive me as I am not familiar with "express basic mode is" but i found restify routing really different from express:
Restify  3.0.2  code:

var restify = require('restify');
var server = restify.createServer();

server.get('/abcd/:b?', function(req,res,next){
  console.log("with b")
    next();
});

server.get('/abcd/:a?', function(req,res,next){
  console.log("with a")
    res.send("small");
    next();
});

Express 4.12.3 Code :

var express = require('express');
var app = express();

app.get('/abcd/:b?', function(req,res,next){
  console.log("with b")
    next();
});

app.get('/abcd/:a?', function(req,res,next){
  console.log("with a")
    res.send("small");
    next();
});

var server = app.listen(3000)

So basically when i call:
 curl -v http://localhost:<port>/abcd

express:
with b
with a
both printed out on server console
and
200 returned with body being "small"

restify:
404 is returned {"code":"ResourceNotFound","message":"/abcd does not exist"}

For
 curl -v http://localhost:<port>/abcd/a

express:
with b
with a
both printed out on server console
and
200 returned with body being "small"

in restify:
with b
printed out on server console
no reply from Server makes curl hang

Why is all that? Why restify is not calling all matching routes, like express does ? Why restify is not honoring "string" regexpressions "/:a?"
Am i simply missing sth or restify routing is simply working totally different than express

br JM