Experiencing a bit of REST Fest remotely

ant...@ognio.com

Sep 11, 2013, 2:22:22 PM9/11/13
to rest...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

    This is Antonio from Lima, Peru. I'm an architect at RCP, the organization that runs the Peru TLD (.pe) but also a Huffington Post-inspired site that is very popular here called LaMula.pe. This news site as well as a new ERP we're starting to build for the local market are powered by a growing set of RESTful webservice we've been building since early 2011.. from authentication, to gamification all the way through blogging, comments, leaderboards, search-oriented autocompletion and more. That's why I'm so interested in REST and have been reading Mike's book as well as a few other REST-themed books from O'Reilly and working thru' some of the massive and awesome list of pointers that Ivan Zuzak put together in his "This Week In REST" blog.

I've been really interested in attending REST Fest this year but in the end I haven't been able to make it and the event is just around the corner.  I'm planning on being there with you guys next.

My question is: what can someone like me not being physically there in Greenville do to experience a bit of REST Fest from the Internet?

I guess there will be videos posted later. Have you considered streaming the talks live over UStream or a similar service? If you guys do that maybe you can accept some questions from remote viewers over IRC.

I fully understand this is a very small, very intimate event that was intended to be attended in person and perhaps setting thing up is a bunch of extra work but I thought I should ask anyway and learn what do you think are viable options for people willing to follow the event over the Internet?

Thanks a lot in advance for your time,

Antonio Ognio
Lima - Peru

mca

Sep 13, 2013, 2:40:18 PM9/13/13
to rest...@googlegroups.com
Antonio:

Sorry this sat in the list unanswered for so long..

first, sorry we'll not see you with us this year. I understand travel can be costly and hopefully we'll see you in person nexty year.

second, in the past years, we've had someone onsite volunteer to stream the speaker sessions. but our main person for this is also not attending this year (Darrell Miller!!!!!). so we're not sure if someone will be willing to do the streaming this year.

also, the streamed feed is rather low quality. sometimes it gets a bit hard to hear, etc.

it's also possible that folks will live tweet or blog the sessions (had some of this in the past). we'll encourage that.

finally, all the talks will be recorded and posted over the next week or so. our onsite video team is *excellent* and they do a great job getting the material posted in vimeo.

so, hopefully, you'll have some live stuff to enjoy.