Using resourcespace to manage different physical assets associated with a single resource

William Beaufoy

May 16, 2013, 7:03:13 PM5/16/13
to resour...@googlegroups.com
I've installed a few RS systems to manage digital assets. A new client has a video archive where each film has multiple physical versions in different formats which are lent out (and need to be kept track of), so I'm wondered whether to use RS for this.

My plan would be:

* Set up so each film is a resource, and each 'holding' (physical copy) is an alternative file.
* Extend RS to add fields per alternative file such as format, location and who has it.
* Change the alternative files UI to reflect that we are dealing with physical holdings of a resource rather than digital files.

Has anyone done this or have any thoughts on whether RS is the right solution? My main concern is how easy the alternative file system is to extend with custom fields, and whether this would go against the way RS is set up as to make it now worth it. One factor would be whether it could all be done with a plugin or whether it would require core customisation.

Interested in hearing any opinions or experiences,

Will

Jeff Harmon

May 16, 2013, 7:15:45 PM5/16/13
to ResourceSpace
The system is currently not set up to support metadata for alternative files.  Sorry!  This would take some substantial work to support.

Best,
Jeff

Dan Huby

May 17, 2013, 9:27:00 AM5/17/13
to resour...@googlegroups.com

One solution is to set up another resource type for the physical copies and then use the relation function to relate these resources with the parent film.

Dan

william...@gmail.com

May 17, 2013, 10:32:33 AM5/17/13
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys, seems alternative files isn't the way to go then.

I wasn't aware of the relation function, and this looks like it could be what I'm looking for. Will investigate further.

neel bhatt

Aug 18, 2016, 1:58:23 AM8/18/16
to ResourceSpace
Hello,

In my development I require to fetch metadata information for alternative file. Above it is mentioned that metadata of alternative files are not supported.

Any way to get and set metadata for alternative files?

Thanks,
Neel

Stephen S

Aug 22, 2016, 9:39:52 AM8/22/16
to ResourceSpace
Hi Will,

I created a plugin recently for a client of mine that allow one to track the physical location of items in the db. You can download it from github:

Hope you find it useful.

Stephen