Annotate Plugin

Tom Gleason

Jun 15, 2010, 3:12:43 PM6/15/10
to ResourceSpace
Hello,

I just committed an annotation plugin to the plugins repository.
This uses the flickr-style annotation tool:
http://www.flipbit.co.uk/jquery-image-annotation.html

Note that it is incompatible with plugins such as magictouch which
alter the preview area, and that it also uses jquery (so, an
additional js library is downloaded).

It allows different users to mark up an image, with annotations
editable only by the user who created the annotation.
It also contains skeleton code for contact-sheet-style PDF output, so
that in the future you could output a PDF sheet with the annotations
drawn/keyed on the preview.

You're welcome to help develop it further if you find any problems with it.

See here for a preview of the functionality:
http://resourcespace.blogspot.com/2010/05/text-coordinates-extraction.html

--
Tom Gleason, PHP Developer
DBA Impressive Design

Exploring ResourceSpace at:
http://resourcespace.blogspot.com

njenney

Jun 15, 2010, 5:13:34 PM6/15/10
to ResourceSpace
I can't wait to try this out. Thanks Tom.

On Jun 15, 2:12 pm, Tom Gleason <theorysav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just committed an annotation plugin to the plugins repository.
> This uses the flickr-style annotation tool:http://www.flipbit.co.uk/jquery-image-annotation.html
>
> Note that it is incompatible with plugins such as magictouch which
> alter the preview area, and that it also uses jquery (so, an
> additional js library is downloaded).
>
> It allows different users to mark up an image, with annotations
> editable only by the user who created the annotation.
> It also contains skeleton code for contact-sheet-style PDF output, so
> that in the future you could output a PDF sheet with the annotations
> drawn/keyed on the preview.
>
> You're welcome to help develop it further if you find any problems with it.
>
> See here for a preview of the functionality:http://resourcespace.blogspot.com/2010/05/text-coordinates-extraction...

njenney

Jun 15, 2010, 11:42:16 PM6/15/10
to ResourceSpace
Works great. Very intuitive and easy to use. I especially like the
yellow asterisk (example: * 2 notes) on the thumbnail view. Any chance
you could add that on the detail view as well? The reason I say that
is if you are browsing and using 'Next Result' then there is no visual
indication that there are existing annotations. Unless of course you
mouse over the image. Just an idea.

Also, what are your thoughts on having a Super Admin have the rights
to edit/delete other user's annotations. Just wondering if someone was
to annotate something incorrectly or perhaps something offensive and
you needed to delete.

Thanks for this great contribution.

On Jun 15, 2:12 pm, Tom Gleason <theorysav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just committed an annotation plugin to the plugins repository.
> This uses the flickr-style annotation tool:http://www.flipbit.co.uk/jquery-image-annotation.html
>
> Note that it is incompatible with plugins such as magictouch which
> alter the preview area, and that it also uses jquery (so, an
> additional js library is downloaded).
>
> It allows different users to mark up an image, with annotations
> editable only by the user who created the annotation.
> It also contains skeleton code for contact-sheet-style PDF output, so
> that in the future you could output a PDF sheet with the annotations
> drawn/keyed on the preview.
>
> You're welcome to help develop it further if you find any problems with it.
>
> See here for a preview of the functionality:http://resourcespace.blogspot.com/2010/05/text-coordinates-extraction...

Mac Conin

Jun 16, 2010, 3:30:25 AM6/16/10
to resour...@googlegroups.com
cool, thx

Tom Gleason

Jun 16, 2010, 3:22:12 PM6/16/10
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback, Neal.

Both good ideas. Both would require someone to fund the plugin a bit
further. I'd like to do the PDF output with annotation markups as
well.

Or anyone is welcome to contribute code.

Tom Gleason

Jun 16, 2010, 3:24:20 PM6/16/10
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Maybe some CSS expert can come in and fix the way the OK/Cancel box is
not styling correctly?

Jeff Harmon

Jun 16, 2010, 3:39:56 PM6/16/10
to ResourceSpace
we'd be happy to redesign them actually, as they aren't in the
aesthetic of the application and look suboptimal. just tell us the
spec you want them at.

- Jeff Harmon
Colorhythm LLC

David Dwiggins

Jun 16, 2010, 3:47:45 PM6/16/10
to resour...@googlegroups.com
I think this is a great idea -- I can definitely see uses for it
within our system.

Ideally, I think the presentation could be tweaked a little bit. Specifically:

1. I don't like that it disables the "click the image to enlarge"
paradigm that currently exists. Our users have gotten very used to
clicking on the preview to view a larger version. I gather this was
done because clicking on an annotation allows you to edit it. But I
think people frequently want to enlarge the image, as opposed to only
occasionally editing an annotation. So maybe it would be better to
have an "edit annotations" link that puts it in edit mode, and
otherwise have the click enlarge the image as usual. (or just make it
so you have to go to the full size image before you can edit/add the
annotation?)

2. I also think that the button is a bit bold compared to the very
subtle UI elements used elsewhere in the system. I wonder if it would
make more sense to just have an add annotation text link in the same
style as "Full Screen Preview", "Add to Collection", "Transform", etc.

However, these are small quibbles compared to the overall
functionality, which is fantastic!

-David

Tom Gleason

Jun 16, 2010, 3:53:20 PM6/16/10
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, David.

Just thinking: option to mark up pdf pages individually would be neat
too. Currently this feature is disabled for PDFs and movies..

The PDFs were omitted 1) because PDFs can have multiple pages, and 2)
because I've got a PDF searching plugin in the works that can plug in
without conflicting with this.

See:
http://resourcespace.blogspot.com/2010/05/text-coordinates-extraction.html

Tom Gleason

Jun 16, 2010, 3:59:35 PM6/16/10
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Would love to see this thing ported to prototype/scriptaculous as
well... not sure if it's possible.

AKiSeY

Jul 9, 2010, 5:27:59 AM7/9/10
to ResourceSpace
Just tried this plugin and I am really impressed. Very nice job!!!!

Tom Gleason

Jul 9, 2010, 2:02:30 PM7/9/10
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Just fixed annotate plugin in SVN for alternative files. It shouldn't display the annotations or the annotation editor for alternative files in the preview page.

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:27 AM, AKiSeY <anthony....@infranea.eu> wrote:
Just tried this plugin and I am really impressed. Very nice job!!!!

David Magnus

Jul 4, 2014, 12:47:09 PM7/4/14
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

Really love the annotations plugin.
I actually would like to annotate alternative files.
Is their a way I could turn that back on?

or was that a bug

Dave

Tom Gleason

Jul 4, 2014, 3:01:52 PM7/4/14
to ResourceSpace
Hi Dave,

Sorry, the plugin wasn't designed to annotate alternatives.

Tom

--
Tom Gleason
Senior Software Developer

Main Office: +1 415-399-9921
Fax: +1 415-399-9928
Mobile: +1 347-537-8465

tgle...@colorhythm.com

--
ResourceSpace: Open Source Digital Asset Management
http://www.resourcespace.org

TimC

Jul 7, 2014, 5:20:04 AM7/7/14
to resour...@googlegroups.com, tgle...@colorhythm.com
Hi Tom

Just a note on your original post 'that only the user who created the post can edit it' and this goes for the current annotate or original plugin as well. I really think the Super Admin user ought to be able to edit any annotations as we've had issues with users testing this plugin and typing in gibberish or worse and then we can't get rid of it without going in the database.

So please if possible allow Super Admin edits. I knocked up a quick report that allows me to list and check on all the current annotations for quality control purposes.

Many thanks.

Brian Irwin

Jul 10, 2014, 5:40:13 PM7/10/14
to resour...@googlegroups.com, tgle...@colorhythm.com
Hello Tom,

Thanks again for the annotate plugin!

Recently, my annotations stopped showing up in search results.  I tried re-indexing and running checks on the database.  The records are still there in the table and annotations appear correctly on the images.

New annotations appear in search results for a brief period, then disappear.

Do you have any suggestions as to where I can look?

I am using RS version 6.1 r5330
PHP Version: 5.3.10-1
MySql Version: 5.5.35
Ubuntu 12.04.2