ResourceSpace - Open access (no login) for intranet site?

ZuluWarrior

Oct 20, 2011, 6:02:38 AM10/20/11
to ResourceSpace
Hi,

A quick question, is there any way to ge resource center to allow
users to use collections (view, download, search, browse) without
requiring a log in at the start?

We are looking to incorporate RS into our intranet, as a useful tool
for all our multimedia assets, however as it will not be available
publicly it would be desirable to allow access without log in (and
offer login for admins/editors to make chanfges/additions).

Any info or advise would be most welcome, I am happy to develop ect
but would rather pursue existing options or at least get an idea how
to code something like this inside the RS architecture.

Tom Gleason

Oct 20, 2011, 1:34:53 PM10/20/11
to resour...@googlegroups.com
look at the config.default.php file:
# Uncomment and set the next line to allow anonymous access. The anonymous user will automatically be logged in
# to the account with the username specified.
# Note that collections will be shared among all anonymous users - it's therefore usually best to turn off all collections functionality for the anonymous user.
# $anonymous_login="guest";

set

$anonymous_login="guest";

in config.php, and make sure you have a user named "guest".

You need to be aware that the anonymous account is shared with all users, so collections functionality is not very reliable since multiple users will be using the same collections.
The anonymous account is usually are set up in a User Group with the "b" permission which disables collections functionality.

Tom Gleason

Tom Gleason

Oct 20, 2011, 1:37:10 PM10/20/11
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Clarify: the anonymous account is shared between all *non-logged-in* users, so it is recommended that this user is in a user group with the "b" permission, unless you are ok with all non-logged-in users using the same set of collections.
--
Tom Gleason

JohnBB

Oct 22, 2011, 7:00:37 AM10/22/11
to ResourceSpace
Have a look at
http://groups.google.com/group/resourcespace/browse_thread/thread/e3831bf59cc24fdb/4d8d5b3a936a3a82?lnk=gst&q=Public+access+with+no+logins+for+one+user+group#4d8d5b3a936a3a82

where a similar issue is being discussed. Basically there would be
some customisation required to completely remove the login page, but
it is not difficult and you could possibly share the work with others.

Regards
John

Dan Huby

Oct 23, 2011, 7:33:56 AM10/23/11
to ResourceSpace

On Oct 22, 12:00 pm, JohnBB <j...@brookes-net.co.uk> wrote:
> Have a look athttp://groups.google.com/group/resourcespace/browse_thread/thread/e38...
>
> where a similar issue is being discussed.  Basically there would be
> some customisation required to completely remove the login page, but
> it is not difficult and you could possibly share the work with others.

It's not necessary to do any custom development. Tom has already
highlighted the built-in support for anonymous access.

Dan

JohnBB

Oct 23, 2011, 5:30:35 PM10/23/11
to ResourceSpace
Hi Dan

I think it is up to the customer to decide if Tom has adequately
answered his question. If guest login does everything that
ZuluWarrior wants, that's fine. If not, I think we should be prepared
to welcome him as a potential contributor and give him the help he
needs.

Regards
John

nondeplume

Nov 7, 2011, 6:31:49 PM11/7/11
to ResourceSpace
i followed the instruction here but found i also had to change my
password policy to 0 chracters in each catagory to allow auto login
with no login screen by inserting this (see below)into the config.php
in the includes folder. this then takes you direct to th home page and
their is a option to logon in the top navigation

$password_min_length=0; # Minimum length of password
$password_min_alpha=0; # Minimum number of alphabetical characters (a-
z, A-Z) in any case
$password_min_numeric=0; # Minimum number of numeric characters (0-9)
$password_min_uppercase=0; # Minimum number of upper case alphabetical
characters (A-Z)
$password_min_special=0; # Minimum number of 'special' i.e. non
alphanumeric characters (!@$%& etc.)
> > Dan- Hide quoted text -

Dan Huby

Nov 8, 2011, 4:25:23 AM11/8/11
to ResourceSpace

On Nov 7, 11:31 pm, nondeplume <patrickjro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i followed the instruction here but found i also had to change my
> password policy to 0 chracters in each catagory to allow auto login

That's strange. I've configured several systems to use auto-login
without needing to change the password requirements. Are you sure
about that these changes didn't coincide with some other config
changes?

Thanks,

Dan

nondeplume

Nov 8, 2011, 5:50:08 AM11/8/11
to ResourceSpace
i set the annoymous user in the config.php as Guest and set up a guest
user in the team centre but i still got a login screen. i left the
guest password blank but the password policy came up with an error and
when i visited teh site i hit the login screen first, so i edited the
policy to all 0 and the login screen disappeared. my config.php is
below with passwords removed. I am still trying to set annoymous
access only from our internal IP range and force login if accessing
from home but haven't found a solution yet. I'm not a webdesigner and
have minimal expereience - i am a teacher in an Autism unit at a
highschool and i'm trying to set up a site to share teaching resources
that is easy to use in school (no login) but secure from out of
school.

<?php
###############################
## ResourceSpace
## Local Configuration Script
###############################
# All custom settings should be entered in this file.
# Options may be copied from config.default.php and configured here.

# MySQL database settings
$mysql_server =
$mysql_username = ;
$mysql_password = ;
$mysql_db = ';
$mysql_bin_path = '/usr/bin';

# Base URL of the installation
$baseurl = ';
# Email settings
$email_from = ;
$email_notify = ;
$spider_password = ;
$scramble_key = ;
$api_scramble_key = ;

# Paths
$imagemagick_path = '/usr/local/bin';
$ghostscript_path = '/usr/bin';
$applicationname = 'testRS';
$ftp_server = 'my.ftp.server';
$ftp_username = 'my_username';
$ftp_password = 'my_password';
$ftp_defaultfolder = 'temp/';
$thumbs_display_fields = array(8,3);
$list_display_fields = array(8,3,12);
$sort_fields = array(12);

# Available languages
$defaultlanguage="en";
# default language, uses ISO 639-1 language codes ( en, es etc.)
$languages["en"]="British English";

# Disable language selection options
$disable_languages=true;

# Can users change passwords?
$allow_password_change=true;

# If Exiftool path is set, write metadata to files upon download if
possible.
$exiftool_write=false;

# Set metadata_read to false to omit the option to extract metadata.
$metadata_read=false;

$anonymous_login="guest";

# Enable the 'related resources' field when editing resources.
$enable_related_resources=false;

$password_min_length=0; # Minimum length of password
$password_min_alpha=0; # Minimum number of alphabetical characters (a-
z, A-Z) in any case
$password_min_numeric=0; # Minimum number of numeric characters (0-9)
$password_min_uppercase=0; # Minimum number of upper case alphabetical
characters (A-Z)
$password_min_special=0; # Minimum number of 'special' i.e. non
alphanumeric characters (!@$%& etc.)

nondeplume

Nov 15, 2011, 6:12:59 PM11/15/11
to ResourceSpace
i've managed to sort out all my issues - i now have annoymous access
with no login screen from inside my organisation and forced login
access from outside
here is what i did
set up a user called guest in the team centre> manage users screen
added
$anonymous_login="guest";
to the config.php file
put the 'Guest' user in the annoymous group (i missed this first time
- 'Guest' was in the general users group - Doh)
set the annoymous group to be ip filtered to our organisation IP
address in Team centre> system setup> Group management>annoymous>IP
address restriction, with a wildcard (*) for the last part of the IP
address
Done

I set permissions for the annoymous user based on others
recomendations with regard to collections etc and setteled on
"s,f*,F*,e0,c,D,b,p" as i want my users to be able to upload resources
without the hassel of loging in if they are at work

hope this helps others looking to do the same thing

pat