Upgrade from 4.6.3726 to 7.0.644

Patrick

Mar 25, 2015, 7:30:18 AM3/25/15
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

a client of mine has asked me if I could upgrade his resourcespace installation from 4.6.3726 to the latest version because some of his users have problems downloading files using the evil Internet Explorer.
I have only limited experience with resourcespace but I am an experienced php developer with a lot of experience using other systems (TYPO3, xtcmodified, etc.).
Here is my strategy for doing the upgrade:
- create a complete copy of the RS installation and the database
- compare the RS core files with a clean download of the same version to make sure that no modifications to the core have been made
- do the upgrade by copying all files from the latest build into the copy of the RS installation
- test if everything works as expected

Is there anything else I have to think about? Are there any changes to the database which must be done manualy?
Do you think that will be problems because of the huge version gap between 4.6 and 7.0? Would it be better to go from 4.6 to 5 or 6 first and then do the upgrade to 7.0?

Best regards,
Patrick.

Jennifer Morgan

Apr 15, 2015, 11:41:53 AM4/15/15
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hey Patrick,

I had a similar request come through regarding upgrading resourcespace from an older, deprecated version. Something I wound up having to keep in mind that may apply to you: different batch uploads. We were using Flash and the Java batch uploader. The newer version does not seem to package both as separate options for batch uploads. Best way to increase performance speeds: separate out web application front end from a combined media & MySQL database server with a lot of RAM on both servers and a very good network connection. You could also mitigate it so that you have the createpreviews.php set to false on upload in your config.php file, then have it running as a job on a crontab (Linux) every few minutes. Just stage it up since the database is still going to be in Latin1; do the rsync for the files; do the re-index. You should be fine going from 4.6.3726 to v 7.

Regards,

Jennifer