Re: Indesign Drag and Drop Feature

Allison Stec

Dec 17, 2012, 12:40:51 PM12/17/12
to ResourceSpace
I don't know about drag and drop, but there is this option that would bring you to a file's location:

// make preview direct links go directly to filestore rather than through download.php
// (note that filestore must be served through the web server for this to work.)
$direct_link_previews_filestore false;

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Thomas Binder <tho...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello @ all,
i'm new here and i never used the program resourcespace before.
My question is: Is it possible to Drag and Drop Pictures, who are in the ressourcespace database into a Indesign file?
We want to use ressourcespace as picture library and want to drag and drop the pictures directly into indesign without downloading. Is there any option or plugin for this feature?

Thank you for help
Thomas

Jeff Harmon

Dec 17, 2012, 12:46:26 PM12/17/12
to resour...@googlegroups.com, resour...@googlegroups.com
There's no way to do that. In fact, that is probably not even possible, though a Java applet could prove me wrong. Your best bet if this is important would be to hire an InDesign plugin developer. We will probably go that direction ourselves this year.

Jeff

--
Jeff Harmon
Chief Executive Officer

Main Office:  +1 415-399-9921
Mobile:  +1 510-710-9590

Tom

Dec 17, 2012, 4:21:23 PM12/17/12
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

it is possible to implement such a feature. We have implemented it as a mac application for our
web application https://doctivity.io. You can see a video at youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzVXGRja6-I)
that shows how it works.
We could build a similar app and a plugin for ResourceSpace so that you just click a
button or a link in ResourceSpace and the file gets opened in your indesign (and may even be automatically
updated in ResourceSpace when you save it - if you like).

Tom

Jeff Harmon

Dec 17, 2012, 4:49:44 PM12/17/12
to ResourceSpace
If you read my post carefully, I was saying it's not possible as is, but that it could be done with a plugin for InDesign.  Are you saying something different?  There has to be a bridge between InDesign and ResourceSpace; it can't just automagically happen.  Building another desktop app in this case would not be as efficient as building an InDesign plugin, though that model works for your application.

Cheers,
Jeff

Tom

Dec 17, 2012, 5:15:34 PM12/17/12
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

I actually didn't intend to reply to your post but to Thomas' post, sorry for that.
I also haven't misunderstood your post.
Yet, I disagree that an InDesign plugin is necessarily the best solution. It depends on what Thomas
really needs.

Dan Huby

Dec 18, 2012, 4:50:34 AM12/18/12
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Tight desktop integration is an area where any web application will currently struggle. There are good reasons why web applications are not allowed to interact with other applications running on your system. As Jeff has said, a Java application may get around these restrictions but it is not going to be trivial to implement, and Java is seen as an outdated solution for web use now (it typically does not work on smart phones and tablets, for example).

Some DAM systems have a stronger focus on integration into a production workflow, and these are usually native applications. One I saw recently that very tightly integrates with the Adobe suite is Elvis DAM (http://www.elvisdam.com).  It is not cheap though at $6,000 per year for just 3 concurrent users. On the other hand though, it has no web front end at all so publicising and sharing assets is a weak point, however this is a strong point for ResourceSpace.

Native 'helper' applications could be one solution which I believe is what Tom is suggesting. Another option may be a hybrid solution where something like Elvis is used in production by a small number of users, but is linked via the Elvis and ResourceSpace APIs to a more widely used ResourceSpace system for searching / sharing / retrieval.

I hope that's helpful.

Dan

David Mac (new)

Dec 18, 2012, 10:06:44 AM12/18/12
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas

If you are using static sync, and are working on a mac, then the view in finder plugin will open a finder window and highlight the file, which you can then drag and drop into Indesign.

If you are working on a mac, I am also developing a "Place In Indesign" plugin which will place the image in the centre of the current page in the Indesign document.

Please email me if you wish to try this as it's still experimental.

Regards

David

Jeff Harmon

Dec 18, 2012, 10:37:51 AM12/18/12
to resour...@googlegroups.com, resour...@googlegroups.com
I suspect that if you're on the same network as the server you might be able to execute a command line from PHP that would run an AppleScript that could interact with InDesign local to the user, with some finagling and variables set...?

Jeff Harmon
Chief Executive Officer
Colorhythm LLC

Main Office:  +1 415-399-9921
Mobile:  +1 510-710-9590

David Mac (new)

Dec 18, 2012, 10:57:41 AM12/18/12
to resour...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff, that's similar to the approach I've taken.

I just need to do some more testing before adding it to the plugins repository.

Regards

David

Janice S

Aug 17, 2015, 5:27:02 AM8/17/15
to ResourceSpace
Hi David,
Is this plugin still something that's being worked on? Or is it available somewhere? We are looking for an InDesign plugin as well although we use PC's, not Macs. Please let me know :)
thanks.
Janice

David Mac (new)

Aug 17, 2015, 10:17:21 AM8/17/15
to ResourceSpace
Hi Janice

I haven't done any work on this for a long time and it's Mac only unfortunately.

Sorry about  that.

Regards

David