Thoughts on tracking resource use (marketing purposes)?

Penny Beckwith

Jun 22, 2016, 4:43:29 AM6/22/16
to ResourceSpace
Hello!

Can anyone share their thoughts on how you manage marketing use tracking of images in ResourceSpace?  For example, if you have several users that all have access to the same images and you want to limit repeat image use (having the same photo appear in your newsletter, website and brochure without meaning for that to happen), how would the average user know that a resource has already been used multiple times in recent publication materials?  We have multiple teams that will eventually all have access to the system, but aren't in daily communication with each other.

Is there a plugin that allows the user to leave that kind of information (text, not just the download log) within the download process?  I guess it could be a text field that we ask users to edit, but that seems like an extra step our users are unlikely to remember every time.

Any thoughts on how you have users primarily manage this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Penny

Robert Damrau

Jun 22, 2016, 5:36:46 AM6/22/16
to ResourceSpace
Hello,

you can enable download usage options in your config.php

$download_usage=true;
$download_usage_options
=array("Press","Print","Web","TV","Other");

# Show a download summary on the resource view page.
$download_summary
=true;

Adjust the usage options array to your needs. If anyone downloads a resource he/she has to select an option for intended use.
With $download_summary=true all users will have an usage overview in the resource view.

Penny Beckwith

Sep 28, 2016, 3:28:34 PM9/28/16
to ResourceSpace
Robert - Thanks for this post ages ago.  We recently only enabled this and my follow up question is - can I view the specific notes that were added upon download?  Is it just possible to view a summary of what kind of download was made?

See attached usage history for what we can currently see in the resource view.  The download log screenshot shows what I would like to be able to view.

Thanks all!
Penny
Usage History Summart.JPG
Download log.JPG

adam jawamann

Sep 30, 2016, 5:33:00 AM9/30/16
to ResourceSpace
Maybe,if the resource is used in newspaper,user should malé coolection named as newspaper with for example date of publishing,or other specified info...if everybody create collection where will be photos used in one specific issue magazine,you then see in related collections on resource details page,where was the photo used in time...negative is that user can Řekové photo from collection...

Penny Beckwith

Oct 3, 2016, 12:24:39 PM10/3/16
to ResourceSpace
Thanks for the ideas Adam.  That is one work around we could try it just seems like I'm missing something with what the usage (download) log can actually do.  It seems odd to be able to describe the usage without being able to easily view that description again.

Stuart Bithell

Oct 3, 2016, 4:29:47 PM10/3/16
to ResourceSpace
Hi Penny,

Both usages can be found in the log on the resource tools.

There's a bit of a fundamental problem with the download usage in some cases, which is 'usage' doesn't always match up with downloads. You may want to re-use an asset that you've previously downloaded, and the log doesn't really support that.

A while back, we added a resource usage plugin that allows you to store all usages per resource. It's very similar format wise to the download log, but the usage is available to view in a panel below the resource metadata.

Cheers,

Stuart