Upgrading DL2/DL3 to next 2.x version trouble

Tom

Oct 22, 2017, 3:48:56 PM10/22/17
to Resol Vbus
I have DL2s, and a DL3 - tried to use the parametrization tool, and got an X for "Checking VBus device version". So - I thought to upgrade the DL2/DL3 to latest version.  I have Automatic Firmware update enabled set to yes (for years) - 2013 is the copyright date on the DL2, and the DL3 has a 2015 date (also update enabled). So automatic update is not working. So I tried "Query firmware update now" - on both devices that yields this error "
ERROR: Operation could not be completed. Unable to download query information (Error Application error/0)"

Anyone have ideas here?

thanks,
Tom

Tom

Oct 22, 2017, 4:17:12 PM10/22/17
to Resol Vbus
So - a bit more on this. The web site the updater is apparently looking for is this one: https://www.vbus.net/api/update
And that returns
Cannot GET /api/update - at least to my browser (Opera).

Also - fails in IE11.

Tom

Daniel Wippermann

Oct 23, 2017, 10:11:36 PM10/23/17
to resol...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

there are several topic in your mail, let me discuss them separately.

Error "Checking VBus device version"

The parameterization tool checks the firmware version of your controller (not the datalogger) against the version it is running as a simulation. These versions must match, otherwise you get a red indicator for "Checking VBus device version". Please update your controller's firmware to match the one in RPT.

Automatic datalogger firmware update

As previously stated on this list the automatic firmware update was permanently disabled due to legal reasons. But you should still be able to perform an update using one of the following ways:

- If your datalogger already has firmware 2.2.0 or above (which it most likely does not have if the copyright year indicated as 2015 is correct) you can upload and apply a newer firmware using the web interface (under "Configuration" / "General").
- If you have physical access to the device you could copy the firmware update files onto an SD card and put that into the device. On a DL3 you will be asked whether you want to install the update. The DL2 will automatically perform the update.
- If the two other options above are not possible you could setup your own update server. The code and instructions for that can be found here: https://github.com/danielwippermann/dl2v2update

Accessing the Firmware Update API using a browser

As you already realized accessing the Firmware Update API using a regular browser does not work. Reason for that is that the datalogger appends additional data to that URL you used (including its serial and what version it is running now). So at least add a "/query" at the end, that brings up a different error. But since it is an API and not really designed to be used manually don't expect great help messages...

I hope that answers your questions.

Best regards,
Daniel

Tom

Oct 25, 2017, 10:25:51 PM10/25/17
to Resol Vbus
Thanks Daniel. I did not realize the automatic updater didn't work. That explains why there have been no updates. I had come to the same conclusion, that " Checking VBus device version" might actually mean "controller" - so I loaded up the SD card with the MX 2.02 (my MX says Version 2 and later on the manual). Turns out this "The update cannot be reversed! After the update to firmware version 2.xx from version 1.12, a downgrade via the SD card will not be possible! "
actually is NOT true. On the same SD I had FWMX109.RSF - and lo! I now have a version 1.09 MX controller. Gone are 10 function blocks, all inputs and module programming, 2 HQMs, 2 HCs, and a weeks worth of tweaking of solar delta T parameters.

If you wanted to help others avoid that frustration - I think if you maintained your DL2/DL3 folder conventions for upgrades - ie Resol>DL2>new version; Resol>DL3>new version; Resol>MX>new version, that would likely help those of us who don't work with these files every day. and given how differently you treat 1.x from 2.x - even creating Resol>MX1 and Resol>MX2 might help. Tomorrow I will try to get back up to version 2, and begin to rebuild all the lost programming.

Upgrading the DL3 - the upgrade firmware download is a 308 megabyte file (larger than the latest iOS upgrade file). After spending an hour downloading it (for whatever reason, I had to press "resume" button every 20 seconds or so) - I discovered the upgrade file was all of 10 megabytes. Perhaps that can be reduced for those seeking to only upgrade their firmware?

Tom

Daniel Wippermann

Oct 26, 2017, 2:21:00 PM10/26/17
to resol...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

sorry to hear about your frustration caused by the accidental downgrade.

If you recently used RPT before it started to complain about the controller version it perhaps has a pretty intact and recent set of MX configuration stored on your PC. You could re-upgrade the MX to 2.02 and just use the "Write settings" command to transfer whatever your PC currently uses in its settings cache to transfer that into the controller. You can additionally write the settings to a SET file from within RPT.

Regarding the 308 MB update file vs. providing a smaller file with only the update: I really, really would like to provide a small file containing only the firmware (and the version including the source code next to it). But for legal reasons RESOL is obliged to ship the whole thing from now on. I'm sorry about that, but I see no alternative. On a different note: I don't really know why you would have to constantly hit resume (that should not have happened).

Best regards,
Daniel

Tom

Oct 27, 2017, 12:53:39 AM10/27/17
to Resol Vbus
Daniel,
Thanks for your kind words. On an extremely positive note, I put MX 1.12 and MX2.02 on the SD Card and the machine fussed and groaned (said update, then did nothing, eject/re-insert, get actual update) then went straight to 2.02!. The real plus was your code for saving the setting file before an upgrade was successful, AND it read from that and restored all my settings (and not the settings from the random project it was using when it took the unexpected detour to 1.xx).

The idea of saving them to the computer is what I have been working on since last Friday - everything is upgraded, and the RPT program actually read the 2,828 settings from the remote MX! (any way to speed that up? at about one a second, it takes 45 minutes). So now I would really very, very much like to save to my computer - as has been the goal from the start. But  "Save Current Settings" gives me a file save dialog, with file type set to "SET.files" - I've tried MX.SET, MX, project, Project.SET - all yield a "Failed to save data" error. Any ideas there? I am, right now, testing to see if RPT obliterates solar controller settings, as it did when I last used it (my projects tend to be at least an hour away, so that is worse than it sounds and really sows deep distrust and, well anger. But that is, I HOPE in the past).

Hopefully we will achieve remote backup and parameterization this time around. I find myself an optimist, but I do get frustrated.

Tom

PS - you have done amazing things with open source on the DLxs - it is a shame when the letter of the law interferes with the intent of the law.