Re: [resol-vbus] Need help troubleshooting a misbehaving DL2

Bruce Arlidge

Jul 12, 2017, 4:31:09 AM7/12/17
to resol...@googlegroups.com
I have just bought a new DL2 from a seller on ebay, it came with firmware version 1.4 on it.  I am having trouble upgrading it and don't know why, I'm following the instructions for prepping the SD card and it copies the logs over but doesnt do the update.  He has 2 more left which I would assume will be from the same batch therefore same firmware.

If you can give me any pointers regarding the firmware I would be very grateful.

Bruce

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:04 PM, Chester Wood <ch...@dewachen.org> wrote:
My DL2 keeps crashing and rebooting. I've had it over 5 years and have installed custom software on it. But to troubleshoot this problem I've deleted /mnt/nand/dl2/sbin/dl2postinit.sh    which should disable all my additions. I set up another machine to ping the DL2's IP and it shows the DL2 will come online for anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes, then go offline for about a minute (while it is presumably rebooting). While online, the red "memory guage" lights on the front panel are lit and the top one is blinking. They are off while rebooting. This repeats for a while but eventually the unit goes offline and stays offline (although in this state the lights are lit and blinking).

I'd like to find out as much as I can about what's wrong with the unit before deciding to replace it. I've done the following to troubleshoot:

1. Press the reset button on the front panel for > 5 and < 10 seconds. This is supposed to delete the data logs. I had a similar problem a couple of months ago and this seemed to fix it. But looking at the log directory, I still see a lot of old files from 5 or more years ago. The "gauge" currently shows the memory is less than half full.

2. While the unit is up, log in via ssh and reboot to make sure to get a clean reboot. No help.

3. Press the reset button for > 10 seconds. This is supposed to do a factory reset. It does not appear to do so because a factory reset should wipe out my root login password but I can still log in.

My suspicions for what is wrong:

1. A power surge may have damaged the unit because we had a series of power outages last week. But this does not explain the similar problems a couple of months ago when there were no outages, and the problem disappeared for a while.

2. I may have worn out the flash memory. For a few years I was imprudently storing log files there. I mostly stopped this but may have exceeded the write-cycle limitations on the device. I get a few JFFS errors on startup (log file here).

The device runs firmware version 1.4.4 (201008190854). If I have to replace it, I hope I can find one running 1.4 since most of  my custom software's written in Ruby and I'm told ruby was removed in 2.0.

chetstone

Jul 12, 2017, 6:44:27 PM7/12/17
to Resol Vbus
Bruce,

Thanks for the link to the UK ebay listing. That's less than half the price I'm seeing it for on eBay or amazon here in the US. I've asked the seller if he can ship to the US. We shall see.

Sorry I can't help with the upgrade. I have seen some threads regarding the upgrade in this forum --- I presume you've looked at those...