Possible to fetch a specific REST message?

Tim Cox

Sep 16, 2013, 11:20:40 AM9/16/13
to reque...@googlegroups.com
Very new to this, just wondering if it is possible to view a single message in the request bin?

For instance you've sent a POST to it and then would like to use GET to grab it, you can grab the whole page with all of bin items...but it would be helpful if you could grab the last message only (or a single one).

I couldn't find any info on if this is possible, sorry if it is already covered somewhere.

Alternatively, is there another service/way which would do this, without needing to create my own webserver?  Looking for a very simple way to catch POST requests and then be able to GET them.

Any help would be appricated.

John Sheehan

Sep 17, 2013, 1:05:53 AM9/17/13
to reque...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,
In the GET request do you want the request meta data, or the actual content of the request returned as content of the response?

Outside of request bin, you could do this with Runscope Request Capture https://www.runscope.com/docs/request-capture combined with the API: https://www.runscope.com/docs/api/resources/messages

John

Tim Cox

Sep 17, 2013, 7:08:54 AM9/17/13
to reque...@googlegroups.com
John,

Thanks for your response.  Hopefully the Request Capture will be suitable, I will have an experiment with it.

I'm only learning about REST at the moment, but this is what I am trying to achieve:
1. Use xively.com to capture data from a device (it uses PUT/GET to gather data into streams), and to set up some triggers (which generate POST messages)
2. Use requestb.in or runscope to catch the POST messages.
3. Check the site to determine if the POST messages have been sent or not, by using GET messages or similar.
I think it would be possible with Requestb.in but obviously you end up with a lot of extra stuff you don't need if you GET the full bin.

It isn't for a specific application, but to learn a little more about how it works without needing to start setting up webservers and ensuring things are internet visible etc etc.  Attempting to find a clear and simple way to show these messages working together.
The simpler the method the better (security of the data isn't a concern etc).

Will let you know how I get on,
Tim.

Tim Cox

Sep 17, 2013, 7:40:13 AM9/17/13
to reque...@googlegroups.com
PS:  I am mainly interested in the meta data content of the Request itself (I don't think the response is required).

Tim Cox

Sep 17, 2013, 3:32:44 PM9/17/13
to reque...@googlegroups.com
Just to follow this up, I'm able to read the responses from the Runscope request bin.  It would be enough for the use, although would be more helpful if able to read the Request too.
Probably not the simple solution I was after either, but many thanks anyway it is enough to test things out with.

John Sheehan

Sep 17, 2013, 4:57:45 PM9/17/13
to reque...@googlegroups.com
You may also be interested in webscript.io for handling webhooks without setting up your own server

Tim Cox

Sep 19, 2013, 6:34:05 AM9/19/13
to reque...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  Lots of great stuff to experiment with.
Cheers.