[Announce] Gerrit User Summit & Hackathon 2017 - Save the date *REMINDER*

Luca Milanesio

Jul 27, 2017, 9:38:32 AM7/27/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
Hi Gerrit Community,
the clocking is ticking, and the Gerrit User Summit 2017 is ONLY two months away.

Gerrit user Summit will be held in London (UK), October 2nd-3rd, at CodeNode - SkillsMatter.

Participate actively and ask to talk:
The Gerrit Call for Papers is open [3] from now until 31st of July. If you are interested in speaking, please submit a talk proposal.
There are not yet enough proposals of talks (see https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/q/status:open+project:summit/2017) so PLEASE COME FORWARD and post your talk.

There are still places available, Register for Gerrit User Summit 2017 NOW, at:

The event will have a single track and 12+ sessions to help users get the most business value out of Gerrit Code Review. They will be for every level of user proficiency, from beginners to advanced Gerrit masters!

Become a Sponsor:
There are a limited number of corporate and commercial sponsorships that are now available. Learn more about sponsoring the Gerrit User Summit at [4].

Save the date: Mark your calendars! Gerrit User Summit will take place October  2nd - 3rd.

Register for Gerrit User Summit 2017 NOW: thanks to our sponsors, the summit is completely FREE, but seats are limited.

-----

Gerrit User Summit & Hackathon 2017 is organized by the Gerrit Community and sponsored by:

Matthew Webber

Aug 24, 2017, 9:53:00 AM8/24/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com
On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 2:38:32 PM UTC+1, lucamilanesio wrote:
Hi Gerrit Community,
the clocking is ticking, and the Gerrit User Summit 2017 is ONLY two months away.

Gerrit user Summit will be held in London (UK), October 2nd-3rd, at CodeNode - SkillsMatter.

I've got my ticket, but the schedule still has placeholders rather than a list of talks. There have been a few talk proposals (here), but not many ...

So, who is going, and who has a talk proposal?

(Before you ask, no I won't be giving a talk myself! Happy to network and share ideas though).

Matthew

lucamilanesio

Aug 24, 2017, 10:27:16 AM8/24/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com
Hi Matthew,
thank you for your reminder :-)

I will definitely post a couple of extra talks, a replay of the ones I am going to do at the Jenkins World in SFO:
- Gerrit CI - How we did it, lessons learned and a brand new Gerrit plugin for Jenkins
- Data mining Gerrit - Gerrit analytics plugin is growing, but more data can be gathered all around for an End-to-End monitoring and analytics

I know for sure that the CollabNet guys had something in mind, Martin is pending approval for his trip and present their multi-master experience and ... Googlers should give us some update on where we are with PolyGerrit and NoteDb isn't it?

*Two things to remind*:
- We *can* the ability to record audio/video if you *like* us to record the talk, you don't have to.
- If you cannot attend but you want to present, we can organize a "remote presentation" as well. If you are on the other side of the planet, we'll try to find the right time-zone to give you space.

Any feedback? We need ASAP the initial draft of the talks, otherwise will be difficult to attract other Gerrit Users to attend the Summit :-(

Luca.

Dave Borowitz

Aug 24, 2017, 10:58:58 AM8/24/17
to lucamilanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Throwing out some talk ideas that some Googlers might want to talk about:
* Gerrit 3.0 update, aka Hello NoteDb
* What's new in Gerrit? Overview of new features in 2.14/2.15 that may entice you to upgrade.
* Gerrit at Google: Multi-master, multi-tenant, crazy database/index/cache backends. Lessons learned. Similar to talks Shawn and others have given in the past, but we are always acquiring fun new anecdotes.
* Findings from UX research/experience by the PG team
* Panel Q&A with Gerrit maintainers

The only talk I'm personally committing to give is the Gerrit 3.0 one. I think it would be nice if we have some other team members presenting, but I'm not promising anything because I literally just wrote this list off the top of my head without consulting anyone.

If anybody has things they would *like* to hear about, but don't consider themselves experts on, feel free to speak up :).

Luca Milanesio

Aug 24, 2017, 11:24:01 AM8/24/17
to Dave Borowitz, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Cool,

We are only 1 month to go ... and Matthew is absolutely right, we should be putting the agenda now, even if there are some gaps or placeholders left.
Thanks a lot !

Luca.

Alice Kober-Sotzek

Aug 27, 2017, 2:15:55 PM8/27/17
to Luca Milanesio, Dave Borowitz, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I could demonstrate and say a few words about highlighting the diff hunks due to rebase if that sounds interesting to you.

Luca Milanesio

Aug 27, 2017, 2:18:34 PM8/27/17
to Alice Kober-Sotzek, Dave Borowitz, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
That would be awesome, I believe lots of people do not really know the new features PolyGerrit UX.

Luca.

lucamilanesio

Aug 31, 2017, 8:43:19 PM8/31/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, ali...@google.com, dbor...@google.com
Hi all,
I have uploaded for review an initial *DRAFT* schedule:

Please review and provide your feedback ASAP.

We are only one month to go :-)

Luca.

Viktar Donich

Sep 5, 2017, 4:24:44 PM9/5/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, ali...@google.com, dbor...@google.com
I'd be happy to say a few words (or more) about PolyGerrit plugins API support and plans, if that sounds interesting.

WBR, VD.

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2017, 4:37:59 PM9/5/17
to Viktar Donich, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, ali...@google.com, dbor...@google.com
Sure, can you submit a talk proposal?
Would 20' suffice? What about a short demo of what can be done?

Luca

Sent from my iPhone

Alice Kober-Sotzek

Sep 21, 2017, 9:43:45 AM9/21/17
to Luca Milanesio, dpurs...@collab.net, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Am I supposed to demonstrate the new diffing feature as part of What's new in Gerrit 2.14.x? If so, (@David) how much time may I have within the slot?

Luca Milanesio

Sep 21, 2017, 10:05:15 AM9/21/17
to Alice Kober-Sotzek, dpurs...@collab.net, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Why don't you just submit a proposal that includes 15-20' demo on this? Possibly just after the "what's new in Gerrit 2.14" talk?
The Break between 10:45 and 11:30 can be squeezed into 11:00 - 11:30 and cut 15' after the Gerrit 2.14 talk.

How does it sound?

Luca.

Alice Kober-Sotzek

Sep 21, 2017, 10:28:45 AM9/21/17
to Luca Milanesio, dpurs...@collab.net, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
SGTM. I'll prepare a proposal.

David Pursehouse

Sep 21, 2017, 11:01:54 AM9/21/17
to Alice Kober-Sotzek, Luca Milanesio, dpurs...@collab.net, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 10:43 PM 'Alice Kober-Sotzek' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Am I supposed to demonstrate the new diffing feature as part of What's new in Gerrit 2.14.x? If so, (@David) how much time may I have within the slot?

Are you referring to the changes in the improve-diff-for-rebase series [1]?

Those changes are not in the 2.14.x release; they are only included on the master branch and thus will be in 2.15.

There is a What's New in 2.15 presentation from Dave B [2] so you might add your demo as part of that, or in a separate session as Luca suggested if you think there's enough to talk about.

Luca Milanesio

Sep 21, 2017, 11:14:32 AM9/21/17
to David Pursehouse, Alice Kober-Sotzek, dpurs...@collab.net, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Shall we then schedule as follow-up of the What's new in Gerrit 2.15?

Luca.

Alice Kober-Sotzek

Sep 22, 2017, 4:47:17 AM9/22/17
to Luca Milanesio, Dave Borowitz, David Pursehouse, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Oh right. The feature is part of 2.15. Dave, can I have 10 minutes of your slot?

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Sep 22, 2017, 2:00:24 PM9/22/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Why not also setup an irc channel for those that can't make it?

will get even more contributions even if they are not in person.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Sep 22, 2017, 3:28:13 PM9/22/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
what about #gerrit-hackathon or re use #gerrit?

lucamilanesio

Oct 4, 2017, 2:38:35 AM10/4/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks to everyone for attending and actively contributing to the success of the Gerrit User Summit 2017.

For all the speakers, please edit your talk details with links to the slides you have presented to:

We will publish the recordings of the talks *and more importantly* the associated Q&A on YouTube. Once that is done, I'll post a change on the summit/2017 with the videos URLs.

Last but not least, we proposed to the audience a "mid-way" location for next year User Summit between USA and Europe: Canada / Montreal.
Let us know if the location would be convenient for you to reach.

Luca.

Edwin Kempin

Oct 4, 2017, 3:41:55 AM10/4/17
On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 8:38 AM, lucamilanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks to everyone for attending and actively contributing to the success of the Gerrit User Summit 2017.
Luca, big thanks to you for organizing the whole event. It was great!

Dave Borowitz

Oct 4, 2017, 6:15:04 AM10/4/17
to lucamilanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
If it makes things easier, you can also email a file (pdf, ppt, etc.) to someone on the Google Gerrit team, and we can host it on the gerrit-talks GCS bucket.

lucamilanesio

Oct 10, 2017, 11:12:32 AM10/10/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I started sharing the Gerrit User Summit 2017 videos and transcripts. I will publish one talk per week so that people can have the time to review, digest and comment the content :-)
Hopefully, it would become an important reference and inspiration for all the other users of the Gerrit Community that did not manage to come to the summit.

This week video is "Gerrit @Google" by Patrick Hiesel: