Gerrit Online Reindex

dhruva kumar

Jul 13, 2015, 5:55:09 AM7/13/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade Gerrit 2.10 to 2.11.1.

Gerrit is hosted on Tomcat 7 and is using MySQL 5.6 on Windows 7. The documentation of Gerrit 2.11 mentions that if the index version of LUCENE is 11 [which is the same in my case], online reindexing could be used to reduce the downtime of Gerrit.

While running java -jar gerrit-2.11.war init -d <gerrit_site>, I still get the prompt to run reindex before launching Gerrit.

  • How do I reindex online?
I have a huge list of Git repos with years of closed reviews and also many open reviews. I do not want to spend hours reindexing gerrit offline.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dhruva

Hugo Arès

Jul 13, 2015, 9:25:43 AM7/13/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
When Gerrit start, it will start online reindexer automatically, you do not need reindex offline. You should see this line in the logs: Starting online reindex from schema version 11 to 14.

Hugo

dhruva kumar

Jul 14, 2015, 3:38:26 AM7/14/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hugo,

Where could I find log file which states about re-indexing?
I've verified under $gerrit_site/logs/ , I couldn't able to find any information on online re-index from those log files.

Thanks!

Edwin Kempin

Jul 14, 2015, 3:39:26 AM7/14/15
to dhruva kumar, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi Hugo,

Where could I find log file which states about re-indexing?
I've verified under $gerrit_site/logs/ , I couldn't able to find any information on online re-index from those log files.
This log message should appear in $gerrit_site/logs/error_log

Thanks!

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 5:55:09 AM UTC-4, dhruva kumar wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning to upgrade Gerrit 2.10 to 2.11.1.

Gerrit is hosted on Tomcat 7 and is using MySQL 5.6 on Windows 7. The documentation of Gerrit 2.11 mentions that if the index version of LUCENE is 11 [which is the same in my case], online reindexing could be used to reduce the downtime of Gerrit.

While running java -jar gerrit-2.11.war init -d <gerrit_site>, I still get the prompt to run reindex before launching Gerrit.

  • How do I reindex online?
I have a huge list of Git repos with years of closed reviews and also many open reviews. I do not want to spend hours reindexing gerrit offline.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dhruva

Hugo Arès

Jul 14, 2015, 7:54:55 AM7/14/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, dhruva...@gmail.com
Since you are running gerrit in tomcat, any log that would end up in $gerrit_site/logs/error_log are going in catalina log: $tomcat_base/logs/catalina.out