Keyboard navigation in PolyGerrit

David Ostrovsky

Jul 14, 2016, 1:20:01 AM7/14/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

So, I took another look on the state of keyboard navigation in PolyGerrit:
almost all major screens: change list, change and diff screens support
the needed keyboard shortcuts.

Beside this missing feature on change list screen: [1], and this bug with
dashboard: [2] we have this annoying problem (also known from GWT
based screen, that got fixed recently): non-recognizing "[" and "]" keys
on west european keyboard layouts in diff screen: [3], [4].

In [4] it was referenced to this Chrome issue: [5] that was closed with the
reference to this GH issue: [6], that mentioned that in recent Chrome and
FF versions key attribute of KeyboardEvent should provide the required
fidelity for pressed keys across different keyboard layouts. We also have
this accepted gerrit issue: [7] that states, that "Since Chrome 51 has
implemented the 'key' field of KeyboardEvent, it allows us to start using it again
for KB shortcuts."

I understand that the core PolyGerrit users and developers don't suffer
from this problem because all is fine with the current code on the english
keyboard layout. However, I would really appreciate if we can find a working
solution ASAP for this problem on non-english keyboard layouts. Thanks!

David Ostrovsky

Dec 2, 2016, 2:00:14 AM12/2/16

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:20:01 AM UTC+2, David Ostrovsky wrote:

So, I took another look on the state of keyboard navigation in PolyGerrit:
almost all major screens: change list, change and diff screens support
the needed keyboard shortcuts.

Beside this missing feature on change list screen: [1]

"n" | "p" (or "]" | "["): Next page of changes / Previous page of changes

This is the last major missing key binding in PolyGerrit UI.

, and this bug with
dashboard: [2] we have this annoying problem (also known from GWT
based screen, that got fixed recently): non-recognizing "[" and "]" keys
on west european keyboard layouts in diff screen: [3], [4].

Thanks, Andrew, for fixing international keyboard layout issue.

Saša Živkov

Dec 2, 2016, 8:53:25 AM12/2/16
to David Ostrovsky, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 8:00 AM, David Ostrovsky <david.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 7:20:01 AM UTC+2, David Ostrovsky wrote:

So, I took another look on the state of keyboard navigation in PolyGerrit:
almost all major screens: change list, change and diff screens support
the needed keyboard shortcuts.

Beside this missing feature on change list screen: [1]

"n" | "p" (or "]" | "["): Next page of changes / Previous page of changes

What I really miss in PolyGerrit are the * and # keys. In GWT UI these keys search for next/previous
occurrence of the word under cursor (like in Vim). This is extremely useful  to find out where
a variable/method/constant/class is used.