Rant about in-lined CSS in Gerrit

lucamilanesio

Feb 11, 2016, 3:29:13 AM2/11/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,
following an animated discussion on Twitter (see [1]) I wanted to do a reality check of what is the current approach for CSS in-lining on PolyGerrit.

If I remember correctly, at the last Gerrit Summit 2015 when presenting PolyGerrit it was said (or written somewhere?) that one of the goals was to make easier CSS restyling / branding of the GUI.

Are we still inlining CSS in PolyGerrit or are we relying on external CSS files?

Thanks for the feedback.

Luca.

Andrew Bonventre

Feb 12, 2016, 7:36:36 PM2/12/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Polymer elements do not use inline styles of the type <a style="color:red;">. The CSS is defined within the element definition: https://gerrit.googlesource.com/gerrit/+/master/polygerrit-ui/app/elements/gr-message.html

In short, inlining styles is a non-issue since they won’t be permitted in PolyGerrit.

Luca Milanesio

Feb 12, 2016, 7:40:11 PM2/12/16
to Andrew Bonventre, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
What about a user trying to style the Polymer elements for branding purposes? Do we have to change the Polymer elements and recompile? Can we use an external alternative CSS instead of the Polymer element styles?

Luca.

Andrew Bonventre

Feb 12, 2016, 7:44:22 PM2/12/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, andy...@google.com
Polymer’s support for styles/theming will support this use-case well — https://www.polymer-project.org/1.0/docs/devguide/styling.html#xscope-styling

Markus Duft

Apr 27, 2017, 10:05:57 AM4/27/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, andy...@google.com
Hey,

Sorry to resurrect this thread :) Is there an example of how I could brand gerrit 2.14 (polymer) with custom colors, logo, etc.? I could not find any (easily digestable) information about this...

Cheers,
Markus

Dave Borowitz

Apr 27, 2017, 10:09:57 AM4/27/17
to Markus Duft, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Andrew Bonventre (Bons)
It's not implemented in PG yet but is still on the roadmap. Follow along at https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=4026

Markus Duft

Apr 27, 2017, 10:32:48 AM4/27/17
to Dave Borowitz, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Andrew Bonventre (Bons)
Wehee, thanks :)