GitHub plugin not giving anonymous read-only access

Justin Clift

Apr 22, 2015, 1:35:44 AM4/22/15
to Repo Discuss
Hi all,

Over the last few days we switched our Gerrit instance from using
OpenID, to using the GitHub plugin.

One unexpected difference between the two, is that unauthenticated
users no longer seem to have access. eg there's no "read only"
mode for people who aren't logged in

Is a lack of read-access for anonymous users a known issue with
the GitHub plugin, or is it likely just a config problem on our
end?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
GlusterFS - http://www.gluster.org

Luca Milanesio

Apr 22, 2015, 1:55:46 AM4/22/15
to Justin Clift, Repo Discuss
Have you tried to set auth.loginUrl=/login?
(See https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-gerrit.html#auth)

HTH

Luca

Sent from my iPhone
> --

Luca Milanesio

Apr 22, 2015, 3:18:20 AM4/22/15
to Justin Clift, Repo Discuss
Possibly worth making a change on the InitStep to guide through this setting: something like “do you want to allow anonymous browsing? [Y/n]”

Luca.

> On 22 Apr 2015, at 08:15, Justin Clift <jus...@gluster.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks Luca! Yep, that worked. Awesome. :)
>
> + Justin

Luca Milanesio

Apr 22, 2015, 3:26:16 AM4/22/15
to Justin Clift, Repo Discuss
It is more a suggestion: it is quite common when setting up security to allow (or deny) anonymous browsing.

The historical HTTP auth setting for this is quite implicit: the “fact of having a login URL” implies that you need to login explicitly, otherwise you are always requested to be authenticated with an HTTP header.
There is a rationale behind the “auth.loginUrl” but it is not straightforward the direct consequence.

Luca.

> On 22 Apr 2015, at 08:20, Justin Clift <jus...@gluster.org> wrote:
>
> Is that a general observation thing, or a suggestion for a setting we should
> be tweaking?
>
> It sort of sounds like a general observation about "Running 'init' should
> ask about this, as most people won't know about it."
>
> If so, **YES**. :)

Justin Clift

Apr 22, 2015, 3:28:59 AM4/22/15
to Luca Milanesio, Repo Discuss