How to enable reviewers-by-blame

euphxenos

Dec 15, 2017, 6:49:24 PM12/15/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
We're using Gerrit 2.14.1.  I'm trying to use the reviewers-by-blame plugin.  I downloaded the jar file from Gerritforge, added it to my plugins directory, and restarted.  A gerrit plugin ls shows that it is enabled.  From what I see in the configuration info in the docs, there doesn't appear to be anything else I need to do to enable it.  When I try pushing in for review a change to a file with a rich history of changes for git blame to look at, no reviewers get added.  No error messages appear in the log.  I also tried adding this to the project's project.config (it just sets a value to its default, but now there's something in the project.config that explicitly references the plugin):

[plugin "reviewers-by-blame"]
maxReviewers = 3

Is there something I need to add to gerrit.config as well?

My expectation was that when I pushed the change in for review, that reviewers-by-blame would look at the git blame information for the files in the change, and add up to three reviewers based on what it saw in git blame.  Is there something else I have to do to get reviewers-by-blame to take action on an incoming review?

thanks,
--Andrew

Saša Živkov

Dec 17, 2017, 7:19:50 PM12/17/17
to euphxenos, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:49 AM, euphxenos <euph...@gmail.com> wrote:
We're using Gerrit 2.14.1.  I'm trying to use the reviewers-by-blame plugin.  I downloaded the jar file from Gerritforge, added it to my plugins directory, and restarted.  A gerrit plugin ls shows that it is enabled.  From what I see in the configuration info in the docs, there doesn't appear to be anything else I need to do to enable it.  When I try pushing in for review a change to a file with a rich history of changes for git blame to look at, no reviewers get added.  No error messages appear in the log.

Have you checked if the plugin was successfully loaded when Gerrit started?
From the UI choose: Plugins > Installed and check if reviewers-by-blame is listed there.

I also tried adding this to the project's project.config (it just sets a value to its default, but now there's something in the project.config that explicitly references the plugin):

[plugin "reviewers-by-blame"]
maxReviewers = 3

Is there something I need to add to gerrit.config as well?

My expectation was that when I pushed the change in for review, that reviewers-by-blame would look at the git blame information for the files in the change, and add up to three reviewers based on what it saw in git blame.  Is there something else I have to do to get reviewers-by-blame to take action on an incoming review?

thanks,
--Andrew

euphxenos

Dec 18, 2017, 1:34:41 AM12/18/17

On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 4:19:50 PM UTC-8, zivkov wrote:

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:49 AM, euphxenos <euph...@gmail.com> wrote:
We're using Gerrit 2.14.1.  I'm trying to use the reviewers-by-blame plugin.  I downloaded the jar file from Gerritforge, added it to my plugins directory, and restarted.  A gerrit plugin ls shows that it is enabled.  From what I see in the configuration info in the docs, there doesn't appear to be anything else I need to do to enable it.  When I try pushing in for review a change to a file with a rich history of changes for git blame to look at, no reviewers get added.  No error messages appear in the log.

Have you checked if the plugin was successfully loaded when Gerrit started?
From the UI choose: Plugins > Installed and check if reviewers-by-blame is listed there.

Yes, When I check in Plugins -> Installed in the UI, it's listed as Enabled (just like all the other plugins).

--Andrew

I also tried adding this to the project's project.config (it just sets a value to its default, but now there's something in the project.config that explicitly references the plugin):

[plugin "reviewers-by-blame"]
maxReviewers = 3

Is there something I need to add to gerrit.config as well?

My expectation was that when I pushed the change in for review, that reviewers-by-blame would look at the git blame information for the files in the change, and add up to three reviewers based on what it saw in git blame.  Is there something else I have to do to get reviewers-by-blame to take action on an incoming review?

thanks,
--Andrew

David Pursehouse

Dec 18, 2017, 3:18:03 AM12/18/17
to euphxenos, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Per [1] the plugin won't add reviewers if the lines touched are all by the change owner.

Can you build the plugin with that change and run it with debug logging enabled to see if that's the case?

Eagle Liang

Sep 19, 2018, 2:19:19 AM9/19/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi Andrew,
How is the problem? I met the same problem on gerrit 2.15. have no ideal about it.