Gerrit Training Material

Edwin Kempin

Jan 18, 2013, 11:21:41 AM1/18/13
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

at SAP we are doing a lot of trainings for users that are new to Git
and Gerrit. We normally do a 1 day hands-on workshop where participants
learn how to work with EGit and Gerrit. There are exercises so that
everybody can get familiar with the tools and the workflows.
The basic Git and Gerrit concepts are explained in details and
additionally background information about code review and best
practices are provided.

We have now made this training material and other Gerrit related
presentations available in a new Gerrit project called
'training/gerrit' [1,2]. We hope that this is of value for others and
want to invited everyone who is interested to help us to improve the
training material over time. Maybe you even have already training
material that you would like to share.

There is a second new project 'training/sample' [3] which contains the
sample application that is used as basis for the exercises of the
Git/Gerrit workshop.

Edwin

[1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/admin/projects/training/gerrit
[2] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/41390
[3] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/admin/projects/training/sample

Shawn Pearce

Jan 18, 2013, 12:24:06 PM1/18/13
to Edwin Kempin, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
This is very cool. Thank you for making it more widely available!

Edwin Kempin

Jan 18, 2013, 12:56:38 PM1/18/13
to Ido Carmel, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On Jan 18, 2013 6:50 PM, "Ido Carmel" <ica...@appdynamics.com> wrote:

> (Oops! Sending to the list this time)
>
> Thank you, Edwin! This will be very helpful to our still-mostly-new-to-Gerrit team.
>
> I noticed that I can't clone the training repo, though. I can go to [2], click on individual files, and see their contents, but when I try to clone I immediately get an error:
>
> slaver:/tmp$ git clone https://gerrit.googlesource.com/training/gerrit
> Cloning into 'gerrit'...
> warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.
>
> Cloning the main gerrit project and training/sample works fine.
>
> Any idea what I might doing wrong?
This is because the project is still empty, the initial commit is still in review [1]. You can use the fetch command from the change screen to get it into your local repository.

[1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/41390/

> Thanks!
>
> iDoc

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Edwin Kempin <edwin....@gmail.com> wrote:

Ido Carmel

Ido Carmel

Jan 18, 2013, 2:02:28 PM1/18/13
to Edwin Kempin, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Oh yeah! That worked. Thanks!

iDoc

Chad Horohoe

Jan 18, 2013, 2:15:34 PM1/18/13
to Edwin Kempin, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
This is awesome. I've forwarded it on to my users.

-Chad

szwed

May 6, 2013, 6:47:45 PM5/6/13
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Edwin Kempin
Hi All,

I've just shared the documentation under the following link: http://gerrit-training.scmforge.com/

Enjoy  :)

Regards,
--
Piotr Szwed

Edwin Kempin

May 7, 2013, 3:45:45 AM5/7/13
to szwed, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
I've now added a link to the training material at [1] to the Gerrit homepage [2].
At the bottom you will find the new 'Training' link.
Thanks Piotr for setting up the build [3] and hosting this!!

[1]  http://gerrit-training.scmforge.com/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/
[3] http://jenkins.scmforge.com/job/Gerrit_Training_Documentation_CI/

Saša Živkov

May 8, 2013, 11:41:20 AM5/8/13
to szwed, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Edwin Kempin
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM, szwed <psz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I've just shared the documentation under the following link: http://gerrit-training.scmforge.com/

This page only shows 4 folders and 2 files. Clicking on any of them shows a "Not Found" response.
Is this broken?

--
---

Piotr Szwed

May 8, 2013, 11:44:09 AM5/8/13
to Saša Živkov, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Edwin Kempin
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM, szwed <psz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I've just shared the documentation under the following link: http://gerrit-training.scmforge.com/

This page only shows 4 folders and 2 files. Clicking on any of them shows a "Not Found" response.
Is this broken?

Did you tried to flush your browser's cache?

Saša Živkov

May 8, 2013, 11:49:39 AM5/8/13
to Piotr Szwed, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Edwin Kempin
On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Piotr Szwed <psz...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM, szwed <psz...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I've just shared the documentation under the following link: http://gerrit-training.scmforge.com/

This page only shows 4 folders and 2 files. Clicking on any of them shows a "Not Found" response.
Is this broken?

Did you tried to flush your browser's cache?
Yes, and it helped :-)

Bruce Zu

May 9, 2013, 11:34:09 AM5/9/13
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, szwed
Thanks a lot! I will send these links to my users
/Bruce

mani chandel

Jul 30, 2013, 4:53:19 AM7/30/13
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edwin,

My name is Mani and I am working for TATA Consultancy services in India.
I am new to GIT and Gerrit and want to learn aboout it.

Can you please let me know where and how can I avail an instructor led training on Gerrit.
Also please let me know the cost and no. of days and dates of training (if possible).
It is urgently required for our project.

Your quick response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Mani

Luca Milanesio

Jul 30, 2013, 6:44:33 AM7/30/13
to mani chandel, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
I know that CollabNet Inc. (www.collab.net) provides professional training in India.

We (GerritForge www.gerritforge.com) do training as well but not on-site in India.

Hope this helps.

Luca.

Edwin Kempin

Jul 30, 2013, 6:53:44 AM7/30/13
to Luca Milanesio, mani chandel, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mani,

I can't offer you any training. Trainings I do are SAP internal and at the moment we don't have any public courses.
The training material (slides and exercises) is open sourced [1] and you may find it helpful.
You may check the offers that Luca pointed out. Not sure if anybody else is offering public trainings on Gerrit.
You may also pay attention to Eclipse Conferences, at EclipseCon Gerrit workshops are sometimes offered.

Best regards,
Edwin

[1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/admin/projects/training/gerrit

Luca Milanesio

Jul 30, 2013, 7:01:58 AM7/30/13
to Edwin Kempin, mani chandel, repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Discussion
Some additional Git and Gerrit resources for self-training are on Slide-Share:

... and many more on SlideShare as well from Matthias Sohn http://www.slideshare.net/msohn/

A book is going to be available for sale as well next month:

Hope this helps.

Luca.

mani chandel

Jul 30, 2013, 2:23:07 PM7/30/13
to Luca Milanesio, Edwin Kempin, repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Discussion
Hi Luca/ Edwin,

Thanks so much for the information.
I went through the website link of www.collab.net  but was able to see only GIT and Subversion training.
I am more specifically looking for a training on Gerrit Code Review, so I have submitted my request to them.
Now I am waiting for their response.

Can you please let me know if there are any trainings available in Europe for Gerrit Code Review.
Coz if it available then we can try to avail that as well.

Thanks so much for your co-operation.

Thanks and Regards,
Mani

Luca Milanesio

Jul 30, 2013, 6:20:18 PM7/30/13
to mani chandel, Edwin Kempin, repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Discussion
Hi Mani,
GerritForge provides professional services in Europe, USA and Canada, please follow-up with sa...@gerritforge.com for more information.
I have introduced you to the CollabNet sales manager in India, so that you can have some options for on-site training.

On the mailing list the maximum we can do is to point you to free resources: let us know if you found any of them of your interest and useful for your needs.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards.
---
Luca Milanesio
Lu...@Milanesio.org
Skype: lucamilanesio

mani chandel

Jul 31, 2013, 1:49:19 AM7/31/13
to Luca Milanesio, Edwin Kempin, repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Discussion
Hi Luca,

Thanks for all the information.
I have dropped a mail to sa...@gerritforge.com asking the details of trainings in europe.
Also, have dropped a mail to Collabnet Manager so we can further discuss the requirements with her.

I am also going through the material that you have provided for self training and it seems to be quite helpful.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Really appreciate it.

Regards,
Mani

mani chandel

Aug 6, 2013, 6:15:41 AM8/6/13
to Luca Milanesio, Edwin Kempin, repo-discuss@googlegroups.com Discussion
Hi All,
I have a query regarding Gerrit contributor's agreement.

We found on Gerrit review website that one need to have an agreement before one contribute's to Gerrit code review.
With reference to below link -
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/dev-contributing.html
We have two type of the agreements, one for Individual and other for corporate contributor.

Does anyone know if the agreements are needed by both individual as well as corporate for this OpenSource community development. Or will only the individual agreement suffice.
Thanks and Regards,
Mani

David Pursehouse

Aug 6, 2013, 7:22:08 AM8/6/13
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
On 08/06/2013 07:15 PM, mani chandel wrote:
> Does anyone know if the agreements are needed by both individual as well
> as corporate for this OpenSource community development. Or will only the
> individual agreement suffice.
> Thanks and Regards,
> Mani

You only need one of them.

If you're contributing on behalf of your employer it's probably best to
do the corporate license agreement.