Metrics out of the box?

tsuna

Oct 14, 2016, 3:00:50 AM10/14/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi there,
I’m trying to debug why a Gerrit setup has gotten slower over the past
month or so. Since we/re on 2.13.1, we can use the new metrics stuff.
I’ve read https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/metrics.html
and https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/dev-plugins.html#metrics
and it seems to me like there is nothing available out of the box, one
has to configure a plugin. Am I right? Just trying to figure out
whether I can scrape anything out of our already running instance or
do I need to restart it with a new plugin.

Besides JMX, Elastic Search, and Graphite, is there a plugin that
exposes the metrics in a simple JSON response that I could just curl
directly from Gerrit?

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure

David Pursehouse

Oct 14, 2016, 4:19:40 AM10/14/16
to tsuna, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 4:00 PM tsuna <tsun...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,
I’m trying to debug why a Gerrit setup has gotten slower over the past
month or so.  Since we/re on 2.13.1, we can use the new metrics stuff.
I’ve read https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/metrics.html
and https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/dev-plugins.html#metrics
and it seems to me like there is nothing available out of the box, one
has to configure a plugin.  Am I right?  Just trying to figure out
whether I can scrape anything out of our already running instance or
do I need to restart it with a new plugin.

You need a plugin.  Note that you don't need to restart gerrit when adding a plugin; you can just drop the plugin into the $site/plugins folder and it will automatically load it.

Besides JMX, Elastic Search, and Graphite, is there a plugin that
exposes the metrics in a simple JSON response that I could just curl
directly from Gerrit?

At the moment the simplest solution is probably to install the JMX plugin and use jconsole to view the metrics.

Björn Pedersen

Oct 14, 2016, 4:34:29 AM10/14/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, tsun...@gmail.com

At the moment the simplest solution is probably to install the JMX plugin and use jconsole to view the metrics.

Or jmx-plugin plus javamelody plugin, then you find the metrics under MBeans on the monitoring page.

tsuna

Oct 14, 2016, 5:03:44 PM10/14/16
to Björn Pedersen, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks guys. I took at the metrics over JMX initially but they don’t
really provide much insight into the database accesses. My hunch is
that it got slow because MySQL got slow, but the metrics didn’t seem
to provide data to back up my hunch. The javamelody plugin apparently
has the ability to intercept the queries and get some stats on them,
so I installed that one instead. It did require restarting Gerrit
though, in order for the query interceptor to start working.
> --
> --

Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure