Upgraded Gerrit 2.13.9 and Email Reviewers privilege

Eric Peterson

Apr 20, 2018, 3:42:43 PM4/20/18
to 'Edwin Kempin' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,

We recently upgraded a Gerrit 2.9 server to 2.13.9, and discovered that it is not handling the Email Reviewers privilege as it did previously.

We have a setting to DENY Email Reviewers for a particular group, “Non-Interactive Users”, which includes our Jenkins user. But after the upgrade, we see emails getting sent to the other reviewers when Jenkins makes changes to a review (making a comment, setting Verified +1, etc).

Anyone have any ideas on how to debug this? We’ve tried deleting and re-adding the Jenkins user to the Non-Interactive Users group, deleting and re-adding the DENY condition for Email Reviewers, restarting Gerrit … nothing has worked so far.

Thanks,
Eric

David Ostrovsky

Apr 21, 2018, 3:19:31 AM4/21/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 9:42:43 PM UTC+2, Eric Peterson wrote:
Hi all,

We recently upgraded a Gerrit 2.9 server to 2.13.9, and discovered that it is not handling the Email Reviewers privilege as it did previously.

We have a setting to DENY Email Reviewers for a particular group, “Non-Interactive Users”, which includes our Jenkins user. But after the upgrade, we see emails getting sent to the other reviewers when Jenkins makes changes to a review (making a comment, setting Verified +1, etc).

Anyone have any ideas on how to debug this?

I've instrumented the relevant parts of the code: [1] on 2.13.9
and it works as expected: [2] on my test site. That's for a user
that was granted DENY on "Email Reviewers" capability:

[capability]
emailReviewers = deny group Non-Interactive Users

Eric Peterson

Apr 23, 2018, 7:51:31 AM4/23/18
to Gerrit & Repo Discussion
Hi David,

Thanks for trying this out, since it works for you my guess is that there is something funny with my configuration after the upgrade.

I will see if I can instrument Gerrit the same way, and find out what is going wrong.

Thanks,
Eric