Can HA Plugin and Replication Plugin use together?

Wenbo Duan

Jun 18, 2018, 7:22:44 PM6/18/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

Gerrit HA Plugin sharing the git repositories using a shared file system, but there is not suitable NFS in my production environment.

Instead of NFS, I want to use Replication Plugin to sync git repositories, and use HA Plugin sync secondary indexes.
Can HA Plugin and Replication Plugin use together? Is this solution feasible?

Thanks & Regards,
Wenbo

Saša Živkov

Jun 19, 2018, 11:00:20 AM6/19/18
to dwb...@gmail.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:22 AM Wenbo Duan <dwb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Gerrit HA Plugin sharing the git repositories using a shared file system, but there is not suitable NFS in my production environment.

Instead of NFS, I want to use Replication Plugin to sync git repositories, and use HA Plugin sync secondary indexes.
Can HA Plugin and Replication Plugin use together?

I don't believe that is would work smoothly. For example, when a new change is uploaded
the message to (re)index that change on the other node will very likely reach the other node
before the change itself is replicated.

Is this solution feasible?

IMHO, no, not with how HA plugin and replication work today.

Thanks & Regards,
Wenbo

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2018, 11:14:49 AM6/19/18
to Saša Živkov, dwb...@gmail.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Jun 2018, at 16:00, Saša Živkov <ziv...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 1:22 AM Wenbo Duan <dwb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Gerrit HA Plugin sharing the git repositories using a shared file system, but there is not suitable NFS in my production environment.

Instead of NFS, I want to use Replication Plugin to sync git repositories, and use HA Plugin sync secondary indexes.
Can HA Plugin and Replication Plugin use together?

I don't believe that is would work smoothly. For example, when a new change is uploaded
the message to (re)index that change on the other node will very likely reach the other node
before the change itself is replicated.

However, with the changes on review under the stable-2.15 branch it could work.

We check the TS of the change and the SHA1 of the target branch. Until they match on the failover node, the reindex is rescheduled and retried.

Even with NFS, propagation doesn’t happen in real time anyway, unless you disable caching altogether.

Is this solution feasible?

IMHO, no, not with how HA plugin and replication work today.

Yes, but we had discussion previously to extend the plugin to cover multi-site in the future. But agreed, it is not today’s situation of the plugin’s supported features.