Gerrit notifications grouping in MS Outlook

Igor

Jun 28, 2016, 3:20:11 AM6/28/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hello,

I noticed that Gerrit notifications are grouped correctly by subject into conversations in GMail but not in Outlook. This is probably related more to Outlook settings, but maybe somebody in this group already know how to fix this ...

Thanks,
Igor.

Alex Blewitt

Jun 28, 2016, 4:19:14 AM6/28/16
to Igor, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Notifications in Outlook are grouped by subject if the view settings are set to "Arrange by Date (Conversations)”. If the subject is different then it doesn’t thread in Outlook.

GMail doesn’t use the subject; it probably uses the In-Reply-To header to thread conversations, so that always works even if the subject is changed.

I believe that you can customise the mail templates in the messages that get sent out such that you can harmonise the subjects. If each type (e.g. merged, created, etc.) has a different subject then they won’t thread.

Alex

David Pursehouse

Jun 28, 2016, 4:30:34 AM6/28/16
to Alex Blewitt, Igor, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 5:19 PM Alex Blewitt <alex.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Notifications in Outlook are grouped by subject if the view settings are set to "Arrange by Date (Conversations)”. If the subject is different then it doesn’t thread in Outlook.

Even with the view settings as you describe, it doesn't always group them correctly.

See [1] for example which is a screenshot of my Outlook mail folder containing notifications from gerrit-review.googlesource.com

As you can see, the first one in the list (the selected one) is grouped, but the next one is not grouped together with the other mails related to the same change.

Igor Litmanovich

Jun 28, 2016, 5:31:26 AM6/28/16
to Alex Blewitt, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Actually the subject of Gerrit notifications seems to be the same, I even removed the ellipsis macro from ChangeSubject.vm template to make sure the commit subject is kept as is.

According to [1] Outlook uses something called "Conversation ID" to group messages. I wonder whether it's possible to somehow control its behavior...

Igor

Jul 10, 2016, 4:08:48 AM7/10/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

it turned out that there is a simple way to make Outlook group the conversations - add "RE:" at the beginning of each Gerrit notification subject:

So I have the following in the file etc/mail/ChangeSubject.vm

RE: Change in ${projectName.replaceAll('/.*/', '...')}[$branch.shortName]: #ellipsis(63, $change.subject)