What is equivalent in GIT Gerrit to a Clearcase UCM VOB is it git submodules ?

Mai Waly

Aug 10, 2016, 5:13:39 AM8/10/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
What is equivalent in GIT Gerrit to a Clearcase UCM VOB is it git submodules ?

please help

Gaurav Negi

Aug 10, 2016, 9:57:54 AM8/10/16
to Mai Waly, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
There is no mapping between Clearcase and Git.
Clearcase is based on client server architecture while GIT is distributed.

Clearcase UCM vob only contains metadata information and its component VOBs has actual data.
That is not the case of GIt sub modules.
Top git repo contains data and also has directory(ies) as sub module that point to a static commit in another repo.

Clearcase UCM vob, You can define a global branch/label that will be available in all component VOBs, that is not the case with GIT.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2016, at 2:08 AM, Mai Waly <mai....@gmail.com> wrote:

What is equivalent in GIT Gerrit to a Clearcase UCM VOB is it git submodules ?

please help

Mai Waly

Aug 11, 2016, 3:38:11 PM8/11/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, mai....@gmail.com
Kindly advise how to map an exsiting UCM vob to git repository
Shall we have a repo / component

David Ostrovsky

Aug 12, 2016, 1:18:53 AM8/12/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca@gerritforge.com Milanesio

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 9:38:11 PM UTC+2, Mai Waly wrote:
Kindly advise how to map an exsiting UCM vob to git repository

There is no map between ClearCase UCM Poject VOB and Component VOB
to GIT. No physical and no logical.

ClearCase UCM is usually implemented as a link between two applications:
ClearCase and ClearQuest. To migrate this to GIT would mean:

1. migrate the history (whole or partially) to GIT
2. shut down ClearCase or use it in maintenance mode only to consult the whole
    history, when only partial history was migrated to GIT
3.1 migrate the issue tracker to another system that currently supported by Gerrit
    and shut down ClearQuest
3.2 write gerrit-its-clearquest plugin that would allow to connect Gerrit to the existing
    ClearQuest instance (I'm not aware, if one exists already, @Luca you?)

Check these slides: [1]. There are also number of companies that provide
enterprise support around Gerrit in generall and helping with such migrations
in particular.

Mai Waly

Aug 12, 2016, 3:15:59 PM8/12/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, lu...@gerritforge.com

if we dont need history

so we create a new baseline from CC and Check it out then Check it in in new GIT repository right

as if i have each component as a separate repo there will be no top of trunk for each component

Gaurav Negi

Aug 12, 2016, 3:41:06 PM8/12/16
to Mai Waly, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I think best idea would be to have GIT submodules model.

1. Created a GIT REPO say repo pvob, equivalent to UCM PVOB.
2. pvob repo will contain no data, just the directories that are sub-moduled repos.
3. Create a repo for every component VOBs. Each repo will be submodule to repo pvob.
5. In pvob create branches as per releases and map submodules branches to it.

4. Please note, GIT submodule in top repo points to a static point in submodule repo. So put a mechanism to update those accordingly.

5. In UCM, you are bound to go with their own branching way, like a project, and it has its integration branch and further dev branches. You can, but not bound to adopt the same branching model in GIT.

6. I doubt if you can retain the whole history. I would suggest, take a good point in UCM and migrate that to GIT.

Thanks
-Gaurav

Gaurav Negi

Aug 12, 2016, 3:43:18 PM8/12/16
to Mai Waly, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Another thing, there is a concept of activity in UCM Clearcase (that combines multiple files and directories that you are changing in one go).
You donot need to do anything with it, as GIT versions based on commits. That commit will be equivalent to activity.

Gaurav Negi

Aug 12, 2016, 3:45:43 PM8/12/16
to David Ostrovsky, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca@gerritforge.com Milanesio
//ClearCase UCM is usually implemented as a link between two applications:
ClearCase and ClearQuest.

Thats not true. In UCM,
UCM CC and CQ integration is activities are created in CQ and being used in UCM CC.
However you can create activities locally in UCM also.

That concept of activity in UCM is because Clearcase versioning is file by file and version by version.
GIT automatically have commits versioning. So migration from UCM CC to GIT, donot need to worry about that.

Thanks
-Gaurva

Mai Waly

Aug 12, 2016, 3:49:27 PM8/12/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thats what i ment from the begining :)

That submodule can some how map a UCM pvob with each component in GIT

Thanks for your help

Marc De Boeck

Aug 14, 2016, 10:58:54 AM8/14/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
We come from a ClearCase UCM environment and use "repo" to manage multiple git repositories. The manifest file of "repo" is somewhat similar to the pvob, while each of our ClearCase components has become a separate GIT-repository.
I find the "repo"-tool and its manifest file much easier to manage than git submodules. You only have to edit one xml-file to manage the repositories. But repo can be difficult to learn: there is not much documentation and the error message it produces are not clear. Because of its name, it is also difficult to google for it.

Marc

Mai Waly

Aug 14, 2016, 3:11:17 PM8/14/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks alot
But we have just got the info that google will drop support of got repo and repalce it by submodules

So again seems only submodules is the only way :)

David Pursehouse

Aug 14, 2016, 9:39:00 PM8/14/16
to Gaurav Negi, Mai Waly, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 4:41 AM Gaurav Negi <gaura...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think best idea would be to have GIT submodules model.

1. Created a GIT REPO say repo pvob, equivalent to UCM PVOB.
2. pvob repo will contain no data, just the directories that are sub-moduled repos.
3. Create a repo for every component VOBs. Each repo will be submodule to repo pvob.
5. In pvob create branches as per releases and map submodules branches to it.

4. Please note, GIT submodule in top repo points to a static point in submodule repo. So put a mechanism to update those accordingly.

If you're using submodules with repositories hosted by Gerrit, you can make use of the submodule subscription feature [1] to have Gerrit automatically update the superproject when changes are merged on a submodule.

Gaurav Negi

Aug 15, 2016, 2:11:13 PM8/15/16
to David Pursehouse, Mai Waly, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
//If you're using submodules with repositories hosted by Gerrit, you can make use of the submodule subscription feature [1] to have Gerrit automatically update the superproject when changes are merged on a submodule.

Thats very nice info. Thanks David.
I remember someone said (I think Luca) in last Gerrit Conf. about the same
"ready in Gerrit, but not in GIT". Didnot realize it would mean about it.

In my previous company I automated update in super repo  via hooks.

Thanks
-Gaurav

Mai Waly

Aug 15, 2016, 2:38:02 PM8/15/16