"Submit Whole Topic" confusing

Martin Fick

Nov 30, 2015, 10:59:29 AM11/30/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Stefan Beller
I am a bit confused by the "Submit Whole Topic" feature. On
this change:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/71640/9 I get a
grey button labeld "Submit Whole Topic", which doesn't seem
to do anything. Perhaps that button is supposed to be
disabled? Is that what the grey means? If so, it is very
confusing because my browser still changes the mouse pointer
when I hover over it, as if the button is enabled, this
leads me to think that I should be able to click the button?
When I click nothing happens.

If the intent is to disable submit, why make the button show
up in the first place? Is it because the other change in the
topic is not ready?

Thanks for any insights,

-Martin

--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code
Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation

Edwin Kempin

Nov 30, 2015, 11:05:19 AM11/30/15
to Martin Fick, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Stefan Beller
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Martin Fick <mf...@codeaurora.org> wrote:
I am a bit confused by the "Submit Whole Topic" feature.  On
this change:
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/71640/9 I get a
grey button labeld "Submit Whole Topic", which doesn't seem
to do anything.  Perhaps that button is supposed to be
disabled? Is that what the grey means?  If so, it is very
confusing because my browser still changes the mouse pointer
when I hover over it, as if the button is enabled, this
leads me to think that I should be able to click the button?
When I click nothing happens.

If the intent is to disable submit, why make the button show
up in the first place?  Is it because the other change in the
topic is not ready?
It's supposed to be a disabled button and wants to tell you that
this change is ready to be submitted, but other changes of the
not ready yet, and hence the topic cannot be submitted yet.
At least this is how I understood it. I agree that we can still
improve on this UI.

Thanks for any insights,

-Martin

--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code
Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation

David Ostrovsky

Nov 30, 2015, 11:34:11 AM11/30/15
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Am Montag, 30. November 2015 17:05:19 UTC+1 schrieb Edwin Kempin:

[...]

Yes, that's correct. This code is there [1] to make the button visible
but disabled, to activate the tooltip and tell you exactly what the
problem is: [1].

Martin Fick

Nov 30, 2015, 11:59:35 AM11/30/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, David Ostrovsky
On Monday, November 30, 2015 08:34:11 AM David Ostrovsky
wrote:
> Am Montag, 30. November 2015 17:05:19 UTC+1 schrieb Edwin
Kempin:
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Martin Fick
> > <mf...@codeaurora.org>
So maybe there is something wrong with how the disabled
button is being rendered? It seems like it should not
change my pointer to a "hand" when I hover over it if it is
disabled, yet it does?

Also, would it make more sense to indicate this "status" via
the header, and/or the label/prolog area where we display
other reasons a change is not submittable, instead of
hidding it in a tooltip. Generally a tooltip for a button
is expected to explain what the button does, (what it is
used for), not why it is disabled,

Stefan Beller

Nov 30, 2015, 1:12:48 PM11/30/15
to Martin Fick, repo-discuss, David Ostrovsky
I think we put this 'tristate' (disabled button) in when it was new,
to communicate "This change is ready on its own", "but other
changes are not"

As the submitWholeTopic was new we wanted to not confuse the user
by not showing anything at all. As then it would be harder to figure out
what is missing.

Now that submitWholeTopic is not that new any more (in my perception)
we could remove the disabled button and expect the user to figure out
themselves to look in the "Submitted Together" tab checking for all
changes to have a green check mark. Or we could put a text, where
"Ready to submit" is and write the problem there.

> -Martin
>

> --
> The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code
> Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation

Jonathan Nieder

Nov 30, 2015, 1:57:57 PM11/30/15
to Stefan Beller, Martin Fick, repo-discuss, David Ostrovsky
I normally hate modal dialogs, but the button in its disabled state could be a good place for one.

E.g., I click the disabled "Submit Whole Topic" button. A dialog appears saying "I tried to submit the following changes and could not because [...]". When I click "ok", the Submitted Together tab is focused so I can review the appropriate change and try submitting again.

David Pursehouse

Nov 30, 2015, 8:18:55 PM11/30/15
to Jonathan Nieder, Stefan Beller, Martin Fick, repo-discuss, David Ostrovsky
On 12/01/2015 03:57 AM, 'Jonathan Nieder' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion
wrote:
> I normally hate modal dialogs, but the button in its disabled state
> could be a good place for one.
>
> E.g., I click the disabled "Submit Whole Topic" button. A dialog appears
> saying "I tried to submit the following changes and could not because
> [...]". When I click "ok", the Submitted Together tab is focused so I
> can review the appropriate change and try submitting again.

Note that Dariusz has implemented something similar:

https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/q/status:open+project:gerrit+branch:stable-2.12+topic:submit-dialog

This was discussed during the hackathon and the opinion seemed to be
that we shouldn't submit this on stable-2.12

> Le lun. 30 nov. 2015 à 10:12, 'Stefan Beller' via Repo and Gerrit
> Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:repo-d...@googlegroups.com>> a écrit :
>
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Martin Fick <mf...@codeaurora.org
> <mailto:mf...@codeaurora.org>> wrote:
> > On Monday, November 30, 2015 08:34:11 AM David Ostrovsky
> > wrote:
> >> Am Montag, 30. November 2015 17:05:19 UTC+1 schrieb Edwin
> > Kempin:
> <mailto:repo-discuss%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > More info at http://groups.google.com/group/repo-discuss?hl=en
> >
> > ---
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "Repo and Gerrit Discussion" group.
> send an email to repo-discuss...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:repo-discuss%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
> --
>
> --

Dariusz Luksza

Dec 1, 2015, 3:13:13 AM12/1/15
to David Pursehouse, Jonathan Nieder, Stefan Beller, Martin Fick, repo-discuss, David Ostrovsky
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 2:18 AM, David Pursehouse
<david.pu...@sonymobile.com> wrote:
> On 12/01/2015 03:57 AM, 'Jonathan Nieder' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion
> wrote:
>>
>> I normally hate modal dialogs, but the button in its disabled state
>> could be a good place for one.
>>
>> E.g., I click the disabled "Submit Whole Topic" button. A dialog appears
>> saying "I tried to submit the following changes and could not because
>> [...]". When I click "ok", the Submitted Together tab is focused so I
>> can review the appropriate change and try submitting again.
>>

> Note that Dariusz has implemented something similar:
>
> https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/q/status:open+project:gerrit+branch:stable-2.12+topic:submit-dialog
>
> This was discussed during the hackathon and the opinion seemed to be that we
> shouldn't submit this on stable-2.12

Apart from showing what would be submitted together in more verbose
way. It also lets you choose what would you like to submit:
* whole topic
* only this change and its parents

Also whole change set changes the change.submitWholeTopic from boolean
to enum letting you turn it on and off (set it to 'dialog' will show
you the dialog, 'auto' is equivalent to current 'true' state, and
'off' for current 'false' option).
> email to repo-discuss...@googlegroups.com.

Best regards

GSM: +49 017 445 41235
Blog: http://luksza.org http://javablog.pl
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/dariuszluksza

Martin Fick

Dec 4, 2015, 3:55:41 PM12/4/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Stefan Beller, David Ostrovsky
On Monday, November 30, 2015 10:12:42 AM 'Stefan Beller' via
Repo and Gerrit Discussion wrote:

> I think we put this 'tristate' (disabled button) in when
> it was new, to communicate "This change is ready on its
> own", "but other changes are not"
>
> As the submitWholeTopic was new we wanted to not confuse
> the user by not showing anything at all. As then it would
> be harder to figure out what is missing.

The problem is that most users still can't figure it out
because they would require submit permissions to be able to
see the submit button in the first place! So devs do not know
that their change is unsubmittable, on the the project
maintainers know.

> Or we could put a text, where "Ready to submit" is and
write the problem there.

I think that would be a good start. Same for ancestor
issues (any dependency issues),