[Announce] Checks API are now fully integrated with Jenkins on gerrit-ci.gerritforge.com

Luca Milanesio

Jan 10, 2020, 8:12:37 PM1/10/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
Hi, Gerrit maintainers and contributors,
I am glad to announce that thanks to the efforts of Thomas and David during the last Hackathon in Sunnyvale, the Gerrit-CI (gerrit-ci.gerritforge.com) is now fully integrated with the Checks API:
• Checkers are queries for discovering changes that need validation
• Checker status is updated when a build is scheduled
• Checker result is sent back to the Checks API and displayed in the change screen
• Checker's build log is linked
• Re-run on the Checks GUI is now re-scheduling a new build

The result of the integration is a more intuitive control of the overall change process *and* also is speeding up (from minutes to a few seconds) the time to discover new changes to build.

Thanks to the Google Team for having introduced the Checks plugin; thanks to the rest of the community to have adopted and integrated with our Gerrit-CI.

P.S. Looking forward to seeing Checks also live with Zuul :-)

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Jan 12, 2020, 4:37:04 AM1/12/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
@Gerrit maintainers & contributors: soon we need also to discuss when to get rid of the “Verified +1” and give Checks full control on the verification process, including the integration with the submit rules.

I believe there are a couple of gaps:
1. Ability to override the CI when needed
2. Ability to send the verification manually
3. Ability to control the Checks API via ACLs (currently it is only a global capability)

Any other gaps?

David Ostrovsky

Jan 17, 2020, 11:40:48 AM1/17/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2020 10:37:04 UTC+1 schrieb lucamilanesio:
4. Combined label is not rendered on dash board and change list screen: [1].
5. copyAllScoresIfNoCodeChange = true, similar to labels.

Luca Milanesio

Jan 17, 2020, 7:07:26 PM1/17/20
to David Ostrovsky, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks @David for the feedback.

Any other gaps?
Luca.

David Ostrovsky

Jan 18, 2020, 5:39:27 AM1/18/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Turns out Gal Paikin has already implemented that feature in: [2],
(thanks for that!). But it is still pending for review.

David Ostrovsky

Jan 18, 2020, 6:02:13 AM1/18/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Am Sonntag, 12. Januar 2020 10:37:04 UTC+1 schrieb lucamilanesio:

> On 11 Jan 2020, at 01:12, Luca Milanesio <luca.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, Gerrit maintainers and contributors,
> I am glad to announce that thanks to the efforts of Thomas and David during the last Hackathon in Sunnyvale, the Gerrit-CI (gerrit-ci.gerritforge.com) is now fully integrated with the Checks API:
>         • Checkers are queries for discovering changes that need validation
>         • Checker status is updated when a build is scheduled
>         • Checker result is sent back to the Checks API and displayed in the change screen
>         • Checker's build log is linked
>         • Re-run on the Checks GUI is now re-scheduling a new build
>
> The result of the integration is a more intuitive control of the overall change process *and* also is speeding up (from minutes to a few seconds) the time to discover new changes to build.
>
> Thanks to the Google Team for having introduced the Checks plugin; thanks to the rest of the community to have adopted and integrated with our Gerrit-CI.

@Gerrit maintainers & contributors: soon we need also to discuss when to get rid of the “Verified +1” and give Checks full control on the verification process, including the integration with the submit rules.

I activated the integration with the submit rules in: [3]. If you ask me
the only feature we are missing to get rid of Verified and Code-Style
labels is the missing combined checkers score on dashboards and
change list screen.

However, given that the check scores are not integrated with secondary
index, there is no replacement for the queries using label predicates,
e.g. this query:

"status:open label:Verified-1 label:Code-Review+2"

couldn't be expressed as:

"status:open checks:blocking label:Code-Review+2"