Gerrit + Repo + Jenkins -> Multiple Repository build checks

João Vitor Gomes Rebelo

Aug 19, 2016, 3:15:51 AM8/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

  In my company we have the scenario that our application (RCP/SWT application) uses multiple repositories, which have dependencies between them and must build together
     (Namely its using a PDE Build for the entire product. Feature build is not practical in our scenario)

  I'm searching if there is a way to integrate the multi GIT repositories with Gerrit and a Jenkins Build Validation when our delivery goes into multiple repositories (and may eventually have dependencies).

  I've now seen that Repo tool can somehow coordinate these pushes to multiple repositories, and that Jenkins Gerrit plugin supports using the Repo (eventually with Topics?).

  If this Repo push could produce some event so that Jenkins could understand which branch / ref from each repository to fetch and build it would solve our problem! (which is somehow a common problem without good solutions so far).
     Can anyone confirm if this is somehow true, or if I'm missing something?

  Unfortunately I can't find any concrete documentation online on how to orchestrate these tools and I'm quite lost on it.. anyone can help?

Thanks in advance
 João Rebelo

João Vitor Gomes Rebelo

Aug 19, 2016, 9:41:39 AM8/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi again,

  I''ve also seen that Topics could in part help with this situation.
  As far as I've understood topics are cross repository/project and by activating the submitWholeTopic we could group all the changes in a single submit operations.
    (At least the issue https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/55243/ has been closed with reference to this)

  I guess that now what might be missing is some kind of "special event" so that Jenkins Gerrit plugin can understand all the topic (all repositories and branches/ref for each).

  I've also seen the attempt to implement this using Draft, but last information I find about it is from 2012... I would assume the implementation was abandoned.

sandy aeron

May 28, 2020, 2:26:34 AM5/28/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
hi,
is a working jenkins configuration available for this setup to pull all the dependent gerrit patches with same topic into a single build.
If so, could someone please share the details.
Thank you upfront.
BR,
Sandy.

Yingchun Li

Sep 8, 2022, 2:18:59 AM9/8/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but seems there is still no easy way
to pull the related patches in different repos in Jenkins, did anyone work out
a solution?
There are similar threads in stackoverflow:

johann...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2022, 3:51:07 AM9/9/22
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

As far as I know there is still no good solution to this. A while back I created a "proof of concept" plugin that could do something like this, but it should not be used for anything in production and probably does not work correct.

Regards
Johannes