Can we kill "drafts: DELETE"?

Dave Borowitz

Nov 10, 2017, 10:02:42 AM11/10/17
to repo-discuss
Chromium users are saddened by the fact that the default draft handling behavior for PostReview is to delete all pending draft comments:

My question is: why is this even an *option* much less the *default*? Does anybody actually use and/or like this? Can we just kill it instead and make the default KEEP?

Jonathan Nieder

Nov 10, 2017, 12:07:10 PM11/10/17
to Dave Borowitz, repo-discuss
+1. I sent a proof of concept[1] for how to allow this API to evolve if people are relying on it, but I'd be even happier with the option being removed and the default flipping right away.

"drafts": "DELETE" is inherently racy, since if another parallel request creates another draft, the PostReview client has no reason to know it is safe to delete it.

пт, 10 нояб. 2017 г. в 7:02, 'Dave Borowitz' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com>:
Chromium users are saddened by the fact that the default draft handling behavior for PostReview is to delete all pending draft comments:

My question is: why is this even an *option* much less the *default*? Does anybody actually use and/or like this? Can we just kill it instead and make the default KEEP?

Matthias Sohn

Nov 10, 2017, 12:20:25 PM11/10/17
to Dave Borowitz, repo-discuss
+1 to remove this option and make the default KEEP

-Matthias

Dave Borowitz

Nov 14, 2017, 10:03:31 AM11/14/17
to Matthias Sohn, repo-discuss
So far we've got 2 votes for removing the option, and nobody chiming in with any potential use cases. Any more opinions?

David Ostrovsky

Nov 14, 2017, 10:12:11 AM11/14/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Am Dienstag, 14. November 2017 16:03:31 UTC+1 schrieb Dave Borowitz:
So far we've got 2 votes for removing the option, and nobody chiming in with any potential use cases. Any more opinions?

Kill it with fire.

Sven Selberg

Nov 15, 2017, 3:30:35 AM11/15/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
What Mr Ostrovsky said.

lucamilanesio

Nov 15, 2017, 5:46:23 PM11/15/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
+1 to change the default to KEEP.

What was the rationale for having DELETE as default?

Dave Borowitz

Jan 9, 2018, 3:27:26 PM1/9/18
to lucamilanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks as always for your thoroughness, Jonathan, but I have a counterproposal to go ahead and kill it:

Last chance for objections/concrete use cases before we fire ze missiles.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 5:46 PM, lucamilanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 to change the default to KEEP.

What was the rationale for having DELETE as default?

*crickets*