Change displaying ready to submit when not

Darragh Bailey

May 3, 2016, 8:07:40 AM5/3/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Hi,

I was looking at the latest release 2.12.2 to review draft support and whether previous visibility problems experienced that we found impacted users were still relevant.

Specifically, that if a change had a draft pushed for it subsequently, where the current user did not have access to view the draft it was not apparent in that change that it was no longer the latest, which appears to have very nicely been solved by displaying 'Not Current' beside the change number:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fjKlIa0NUlg/VyiIlrn4hSI/AAAAAAAAPDg/mHPzD2PTC6A8Lh2ozyCtkdhhqwolx69SACLcB/s1600/not-current.jpg

The extra hint of the yellow circle to indicate outdated is also much appreciated.

However when I check a change that depends on the one that has added the hidden draft, it still indicates that it is ready to be submitted, yet the submit button is gray'ed out and a mouse over indicates that one of the parents changes is not submittable.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_nna_jP9kMk/VyiJv6pQLlI/AAAAAAAAPDw/udB-QXEQuoAyubwUKNa2kbFqbC7yy3K0gCLcB/s1600/ready-to-submit.jpg

Seems like it would be useful to have a similar message as 'Not Current' appear, maybe something like, 'Parent Not Current' in order to provide a hint that it's the parent commit that is not submittable?

Since the submit capability already checks to see if the change is blocked by other changes not being ready or other hidden changes not being ready, I wonder if this is a bug rather than a feature request? Since the 'Ready to Submit' message in the title is incorrect.

Secondly, I wonder if it's possible to disable certain label voting in this case? A quick look at the facts available suggest it's unlikely.

The benefit for users in the case I'm looking at, is that none of them would have direct access to perform the submit, that is all handled by CI (zuul + jenkins), so seeing a message in UI telling them that the change is not ready due to some reason would make drafts much less likely to cause confusion. Of course updating the CI tooling to add sensible comments when it detects this case would also help.

--
Darragh Bailey