create change button

jo...@norricorp.f9.co.uk

Apr 5, 2017, 3:45:45 AM4/5/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,
I have been reading the docs on the above - I had not noticed it previously (I have a had a year off Gerrit) - at https://gerrit-documentation.storage.googleapis.com/Documentation/2.13.7/user-inline-edit.html. I just wanted to check I had understood it.
So this feature allows me to make changes to code within Gerrit on the server rather than on my local repository? And so no need to push changes up?
And this has to be on an existing branch?

I was hoping when I first saw the dialog that it would create the branch for me if it was a new branch but the error message says not.

Looking at the User Guide doc (by the way, docs have improved hugely over the past few years) under "Developing multiple features in parallel", the recommendation is to use feature branches. So create feature branch locally, do work and then push change up to corresponding magic branch? I have been using Gitlab recently where the feature branch is created centrally and then pulled down to local and worked from there.

So I am interested to know in what situation the "create change" button is used. Is it literally a typo type change?

Regards,

Saša Živkov

Apr 5, 2017, 3:56:22 AM4/5/17
to jo...@norricorp.f9.co.uk, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 9:45 AM, <jo...@norricorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
Hi,
I have been reading the docs on the above - I had not noticed it previously (I have a had a year off Gerrit) - at https://gerrit-documentation.storage.googleapis.com/Documentation/2.13.7/user-inline-edit.html. I just wanted to check I had understood it.
So this feature allows me to make changes to code within Gerrit on the server rather than on my local repository?
Yes
And so no need to push changes up?
Yes.

And this has to be on an existing branch?
You have to start from an existing branch but the created change will technically have its own change branch, like any other change in Gerrit.
When the new change gets submitted it gets merged into the target branch.

---