Does Gerrit support MS SQL database and Windows OS?

mani chandel

Mar 27, 2015, 6:09:18 AM3/27/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is it possible to run Gerrit Code Review application on Window Operating system
along with Microsoft SQL database ?

Is this OS +  DB recommended and supported by Gerrit?

Thanks.

Luca Milanesio

Mar 27, 2015, 6:34:07 AM3/27/15
to mani chandel, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Windows + Microsoft = never recommended :-)

Alex Blewitt

Mar 27, 2015, 7:29:10 AM3/27/15
to Luca Milanesio, mani chandel, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
You can run Gerrit on windows but the database setup steps and migration are only tested on open source databases like PostgreSQL.

You should be able to make it work if you want to invest time in setting up the database schema and being prepared to make changes necessary to the Orm components if needed.

Alex

Sent from my iPhat 6

Luca Milanesio

Mar 27, 2015, 7:36:30 AM3/27/15
to Alex Blewitt, mani chandel, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanx Alex for the more “official” answer  … I was a bit ironic ;-)

We did the MsSQL porting on a old Gerrit version (including a Windows package installer: http://gerritforge.com/downloads/latest/gerritforge.exe) but that never made until now the headlines of the gerrit changes as the need of it is really specific and most of our clients prefer anyway to stay on Linux with other more popular OpenSource DBs.

Another problem with Windows is to manage the startup / shutdown that honestly doesn’t work so well on Windows unless you use Cygwin.

For the “supported” question, there is support for the Windows version I pointed out before but only for commercial users at the moment. Don’t know if there is enough traction in the Gerrit community to start supporting Gerrit on Windows with MsSQL.

Luca.

mani chandel

Mar 27, 2015, 8:43:15 AM3/27/15
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, alex.b...@gmail.com, mani.c...@gmail.com
Thanks Luca and Alex :)
Do we have any documentation available for installing Gerrit on windows ?

Thanks.

Luca Milanesio

Mar 27, 2015, 9:35:04 AM3/27/15
to mani chandel, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, alex.b...@gmail.com
It is a Windows Installer package … do you documentation to double-click an exe file? :o)

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Mar 27, 2015, 9:43:57 AM3/27/15
to mani chandel, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, alex.b...@gmail.com
… or do you mean installing the “plain” Gerrit war on Windows?

Luca.