repo sync error - fatal: Unable to look up android.git.kernel.org (port 9418) (Name or service not known)

Muthu Ramadoss

Nov 4, 2008, 11:51:09 PM11/4/08
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
platform]$ repo sync
fatal: Unable to look up android.git.kernel.org (port 9418) (Name or
service not known)
error: Cannot fetch platform/build

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Muthu Ramadoss
http://mobeegal.in - mobile search. redefined.

Muthu Ramadoss

Nov 5, 2008, 12:07:48 AM11/5/08
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
The error went away after retrying a few times. There's a warning
being shown at the end of sync, saying new version of repo is
available.

==
platform]$ repo sync
remote: Counting objects: 13, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (7/7), done.
From git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/frameworks/base
ae49995..24847f3 master -> korg/master
info: A new version of repo is available

warn: [repo] commit (or discard) uncommitted changes before sync
==

How do i update to the new version of repo?

http://mobeegal.in - mobile search. redefined.

Shawn Pearce

Nov 5, 2008, 10:29:51 AM11/5/08
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 20:51, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

platform]$ repo sync
fatal: Unable to look up android.git.kernel.org (port 9418) (Name or
service not known)
error: Cannot fetch platform/build

That's a DNS failure on your side.  There's no way kernel.org disappeared.  But I see you also mentioned it went away after a few times, further indicating it was a local failure on your DNS server.

Shawn Pearce

Nov 5, 2008, 10:31:23 AM11/5/08
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 21:07, Muthu Ramadoss <muthu.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

There's a warning
being shown at the end of sync, saying new version of repo is
available.

==
platform]$ repo sync
remote: Counting objects: 13, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (7/7), done.
From git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/frameworks/base
  ae49995..24847f3  master     -> korg/master
info: A new version of repo is available

warn: [repo] commit (or discard) uncommitted changes before sync
==

Huh.  Normally repo is self updating, but your repo thinks you have modified its code, so its aborting the self-update to prevent you from losing your local edits.

  cd .repo/repo

Use "git diff" to look at the local edits.  Discard them with "git reset --hard" if you don't want them anymore.

Once the local edits are either discarded or committed:

  cd ../..
  repo sync

to resume the upgrade process.

Muthu Ramadoss

Nov 10, 2008, 11:24:32 PM11/10/08
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I was about to bump this thread up again, but am seeing Shawn reply to
the problem. Let me try this out, and see if the problem goes away and
report back.

Muthu Ramadoss

Nov 10, 2008, 11:36:29 PM11/10/08
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion