Nested git repos in Gerrit

Sheik Farzand

Apr 20, 2018, 2:47:38 AM4/20/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi,

Can anyone give me an insight about "what is nested git repo?" How is it different from submodules?

Thanks

Gert van Dijk

Apr 20, 2018, 4:30:33 AM4/20/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Where did you read about "nested git repo"? Please provide a link for context.

David Pursehouse

Apr 20, 2018, 4:44:04 AM4/20/18
to Gert van Dijk, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I think in this context a nested repo is when you would have a git repositories nested in the file system, for example:

and then a nested repository like:

Sheik Farzand

Apr 20, 2018, 7:15:28 AM4/20/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi Gert and David,

I have a requirement for a project. I was told to use nested git repos. One top level project and inside this top level project, i need to have multiple child repos as nested git repos.
I googled "nested git repos" below is one of the link i got from google search.
https://victorliew.quora.com/Nested-Git-Repository-is-love-1

Thanks

Sheik Farzand

Apr 20, 2018, 7:20:18 AM4/20/18

On Friday, April 20, 2018 at 2:14:04 PM UTC+5:30, David Pursehouse wrote:
On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 10:30 AM Gert van Dijk <gert...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Friday, 20 April 2018 08:47:38 UTC+2, Sheik Farzand wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone give me an insight about "what is nested git repo?" How is it different from submodules?

Thanks

Where did you read about "nested git repo"? Please provide a link for context.

I think in this context a nested repo is when you would have a git repositories nested in the file system, for example:

and then a nested repository like:

Hi David,

This is nested filesystem. I am using this type of repos in gerrit. But here even though if i create a repo inside a nested filesystem [eg : git://myserver.com/my-repository/nested]
. The top level filesystem (my-repository) is just a directory and the repo content will be present in (nested.git).

Thanks