IntelliJ Plugin for Gerrit

u.wo...@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2013, 3:30:01 PM9/24/13
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi

If you use any product which is based on the IntelliJ platform (e.g. IntelliJ IDEA), you can use the gerrit-intellij-plugin [1] developed by me. It's still in early development state, but you should be able to use it for daily work. The plugin is developed on GitHub [2] and licenced unter Apache Licence - feel free to fork it and send me pull requests. Also, please report any issues to the GitHub issue tracker (even usabilty issues if you do not get it working or something like that ;) ).

Bye
urs

Mark Derricutt

Sep 24, 2013, 7:03:20 PM9/24/13
to u.wo...@gmail.com, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
If I could buy you a crate of beer I would!

Early days I see - but looks like a good start.

Initial thoughts ( and I'll probably raise these on github ):

* Reviews should be filtered by open project, maybe eventually configured by adding a Gerrit Facet to an associated module ( hopefully auto detected somehow as well ).
* EAP 13 support pls ;-)  ( I already see tickets related to the stack traces I was about to report )
* Saved searches

Mark

On 25/09/2013, at 7:30 AM, u.wo...@gmail.com wrote:

If you use any product which is based on the IntelliJ platform (e.g. IntelliJ IDEA), you can use the gerrit-intellij-plugin [1] developed by me. It's still in early development state, but you should be able to use it for daily work. The plugin is developed on GitHub [2] and licenced unter Apache Licence - feel free to fork it and send me pull requests. Also, please report any issues to the GitHub issue tracker (even usabilty issues if you do not get it working or something like that ;) ).

-- Mark Derricutt ( ma...@talios.com )
 — google+: http://gplus.to/talios

signature.asc

Urs Wolfer

Sep 26, 2013, 2:20:45 PM9/26/13
to Mark Derricutt, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Mark, thanks for your feedback.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 1:03 AM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:
If I could buy you a crate of beer I would!

Early days I see - but looks like a good start.

Initial thoughts ( and I'll probably raise these on github ):

* Reviews should be filtered by open project, maybe eventually configured by adding a Gerrit Facet to an associated module ( hopefully auto detected somehow as well ).

There is a pull request pending for adding this filter feature. The list will show changes from all projects which are currently set up in IntelliJ. Also, multi module (more than one Git repo in one IntelliJ project) support is work in progress.

* EAP 13 support pls ;-)  ( I already see tickets related to the stack traces I was about to report )
* Saved searches

Bye
urs

Alex Blewitt

Sep 26, 2013, 3:06:44 PM9/26/13
to Urs Wolfer, Mark Derricutt, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Please put a license file in and/or document what license the code is under, so that contributions/pull requests acknowledge and grant rights. I believe both Gerrit and IntelliJ use Apache as their license.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone 5

Urs Wolfer

Oct 6, 2013, 8:43:40 AM10/6/13
to Mark Derricutt, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
I have just published a new version the plugin which supports some of the most requested features:

* support for IntelliJ 13 EAP
* support for multi-VCS-projects
* filter changes (only changes from currently open projects will be displayed)

Also keep in mind that this plugin supports any product based on the IntelliJ platform:
IntelliJ IDEA, IntelliJ IDEA CE, RubyMine, WebStorm, PhpStorm, PyCharm, PyCharm CE, AppCode, Android Studio

Bye
urs

Mark Derricutt

Oct 6, 2013, 9:18:59 PM10/6/13
to Urs Wolfer, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
On 7/10/2013, at 1:43 AM, Urs Wolfer <u.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:

* support for IntelliJ 13 EAP
* support for multi-VCS-projects
* filter changes (only changes from currently open projects will be displayed)

Urs, after updating the plugin I find I don't get any reviews showing up anymore in my multi-module project, how does one configure which projects should be shown/included? Does the plugin just map IDEA module name to Gerrit project name or something ( tho changing module names to match don't seem to help - we have projects named "dev/something" ).
signature.asc

Urs Wolfer

Oct 7, 2013, 2:14:17 AM10/7/13
On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:
On 7/10/2013, at 1:43 AM, Urs Wolfer <u.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:

* support for IntelliJ 13 EAP
* support for multi-VCS-projects
* filter changes (only changes from currently open projects will be displayed)

Urs, after updating the plugin I find I don't get any reviews showing up anymore in my multi-module project, how does one configure which projects should be shown/included? Does the plugin just map IDEA module name to Gerrit project name or something ( tho changing module names to match don't seem to help - we have projects named "dev/something" ).

Mark, thanks for reporting this issue. As you have assumed, it is related to the '/' in the project name (see also issue #8 on GitHub). I have just pushed a hotfix release (0.3.1). Will add some tests to verify it won't break again later.

Hope this fixes your issue.

Bye
urs

Urs Wolfer

Apr 12, 2014, 12:42:44 PM4/12/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
The gerrit-intellij-plugin is quite mature now. If you had issues with older versions or missed features, please try it again.

It also provides now an advanced Git push dialog where you can push to Gerrit directly (along with many other features).

If you use the plugin and miss some functionality, please open an issue at the GitHub project:
https://github.com/uwolfer/gerrit-intellij-plugin

Btw, is there some place on the Gerrit website where you would like to list such IDE plugins? I think that would simplify finding it for many user.

Bye
urs

Luca Milanesio

Apr 12, 2014, 1:34:48 PM4/12/14
to Urs Wolfer, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
What about gerrit-review.googlesource.com ?
Unfortunately you've decided to use GitHub and not Gerrit for sharing your work :-( ... what about using then GerritHub.io at least to get reviews and contributions ?

Luca.

Urs Wolfer

Apr 15, 2014, 1:09:10 PM4/15/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Urs Wolfer
On Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:34:48 PM UTC+2, lucamilanesio wrote:

Since it is not an extension / plugin for Gerrit (it's a "client" for Gerrit), I'm not sure if that would be the right place.

Unfortunately you've decided to use GitHub and not Gerrit for sharing your work :-( ... what about using then GerritHub.io at least to get reviews and contributions ?

I have seen GerritHub.io before. Looks really interesting. Since it is at the moment almost a one men project, code review could not be really used. As soon as there are other active developers, I will re-evaluate to use GerritHub.io.

Bye
urs

Luca Milanesio

Apr 15, 2014, 1:16:08 PM4/15/14
On 15 Apr 2014, at 18:09, Urs Wolfer <u.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:34:48 PM UTC+2, lucamilanesio wrote:

Since it is not an extension / plugin for Gerrit (it's a "client" for Gerrit), I'm not sure if that would be the right place.

We were actually discussing this over the last Gerrit User Summit / Hackathon @Mountain View - CA in March 2014: we may actually be interested in refactor the work by breaking it down to:
- Gerrit REST client API for Java
- Gerrit plugin for IntelliJ

The REST client API would then evolve together with Gerrit ... and potentially other projects may be using it.

Unfortunately you've decided to use GitHub and not Gerrit for sharing your work :-( ... what about using then GerritHub.io at least to get reviews and contributions ?

I have seen GerritHub.io before. Looks really interesting. Since it is at the moment almost a one men project,

You may not be alone anymore :-)

code review could not be really used. As soon as there are other active developers, I will re-evaluate to use GerritHub.io.

Urs Wolfer

Apr 15, 2014, 1:29:16 PM4/15/14
On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:16:08 PM UTC+2, lucamilanesio wrote:

On 15 Apr 2014, at 18:09, Urs Wolfer <u.wo...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:34:48 PM UTC+2, lucamilanesio wrote:

Since it is not an extension / plugin for Gerrit (it's a "client" for Gerrit), I'm not sure if that would be the right place.

We were actually discussing this over the last Gerrit User Summit / Hackathon @Mountain View - CA in March 2014: we may actually be interested in refactor the work by breaking it down to:
- Gerrit REST client API for Java
- Gerrit plugin for IntelliJ

The REST client API would then evolve together with Gerrit ... and potentially other projects may be using it.

As I have written in another thread: I really support splitting into these two parts as well. I think I will look into it quite soon.

Unfortunately you've decided to use GitHub and not Gerrit for sharing your work :-( ... what about using then GerritHub.io at least to get reviews and contributions ?

I have seen GerritHub.io before. Looks really interesting. Since it is at the moment almost a one men project,

You may not be alone anymore :-)

code review could not be really used. As soon as there are other active developers, I will re-evaluate to use GerritHub.io.

I think this would be the perfect place for the "Gerrit REST client API for Java" once I have done the split. But first, I will just refactor the existing code so things will use a clean interface internally.

Bye
urs