Gerrit 2.14 Release & Branch Cut

Patrick Hiesel

Mar 13, 2017, 5:41:24 AM3/13/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,

I am currently looking at two things that would make this a good time to release Gerrit 2.14:
1) Email ingestion is done and we wanted to have this in the next release for sure.
2) We are working on deprecating drafts as well as introducing private changes and work-in-progress changes and wanted to make a release before merging any larger user-visible changes.

If there are no objections I can offer to do the 2.14 release myself (hopefully with many community contributions ;)). I would propose, that we cut the release branch on:

Monday, 03/20/2017 10 am CET

And create 2.14-RC0 and keep it around for a week or two to see if any we discover any release-blockers and release the 'stable' version (hopefully) within two weeks after that.

Since I am not a maintainer, I'll probably ask Edwin (or David P/David O) to perform the steps where I lack permission.

Happy to get your opinion on this!

Thanks,
Patrick

David Pursehouse

Mar 13, 2017, 7:31:27 AM3/13/17
to Patrick Hiesel, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 6:41 PM 'Patrick Hiesel' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I am currently looking at two things that would make this a good time to release Gerrit 2.14:
1) Email ingestion is done and we wanted to have this in the next release for sure.
2) We are working on deprecating drafts as well as introducing private changes and work-in-progress changes and wanted to make a release before merging any larger user-visible changes.

If there are no objections I can offer to do the 2.14 release myself (hopefully with many community contributions ;)).

The part that would really benefit from other contributions is writing the release notes.  This was one of the motivations to move them out of the core gerrit project to the homepage project.  The initial version for 2.14 was already merged [1] and published [2].

I would propose, that we cut the release branch on:

Monday, 03/20/2017 10 am CET

And create 2.14-RC0 and keep it around for a week or two to see if any we discover any release-blockers and release the 'stable' version (hopefully) within two weeks after that.

Sounds like a plan.  Shall we use the "blocking-2.14" label/hashtag to track issues/changes that we need to get in before branching/tagging?

Since I am not a maintainer, I'll probably ask Edwin (or David P/David O) to perform the steps where I lack permission.

I can help with this, but not on Monday which is a public holiday over here.

Happy to get your opinion on this!

Thanks,
Patrick

Matthew Webber

Mar 13, 2017, 7:40:16 AM3/13/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I downloaded the latest snapshot (gerrit-war-2.14-20170209.055347-1.war), and found a couple of things that need fixing.
I attempted to upgrade from 2.13.6 (the latest release), and the init operation gave me these prompts:

Install plugin commit-message-length-validator version v2.13.5-4-gefdb87d [y/N]?
Install plugin download-commands version v2.13.5-9-g8357e94 [Y/n]?
download-commands v2.13.6 is already installed, overwrite it [Y/n]? y
Install plugin replication version v2.13.5-26-g305c864 [Y/n]?
replication v2.13.6 is already installed, overwrite it [Y/n]?

You can see the problem there ..

I'm happy to retest when the Release Candidate, or another snapshot, is available.

Matthew

David Pursehouse

Mar 13, 2017, 7:53:47 AM3/13/17
to Matthew Webber, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM Matthew Webber <mat...@unsolvable.org> wrote:
I downloaded the latest snapshot (gerrit-war-2.14-20170209.055347-1.war), and found a couple of things that need fixing.

That snapshot is from 9th February which was before 2.13.6 was released.  I have not built another one since then, but there was some talk about having the CI do it.

I attempted to upgrade from 2.13.6 (the latest release), and the init operation gave me these prompts:

Install plugin commit-message-length-validator version v2.13.5-4-gefdb87d [y/N]?
Install plugin download-commands version v2.13.5-9-g8357e94 [Y/n]?
download-commands v2.13.6 is already installed, overwrite it [Y/n]? y
Install plugin replication version v2.13.5-26-g305c864 [Y/n]?
replication v2.13.6 is already installed, overwrite it [Y/n]?

You can see the problem there ..

It's because the plugins were built before 2.13.6 was released, hence the 2.13.5-xx-gxxxxxxx versions which comes from git describe.

I don't expect this to be a problem with the 2.14 release candidate build, or even with another snapshot if one gets built in the meantime.

I'm happy to retest when the Release Candidate, or another snapshot, is available.

Matthew

David Pursehouse

Mar 13, 2017, 8:04:23 AM3/13/17
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:53 PM David Pursehouse <david.pu...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 8:40 PM Matthew Webber <mat...@unsolvable.org> wrote:
I downloaded the latest snapshot (gerrit-war-2.14-20170209.055347-1.war), and found a couple of things that need fixing.

That snapshot is from 9th February which was before 2.13.6 was released.  I have not built another one since then, but there was some talk about having the CI do it.

Please try again with gerrit-war-2.14-20170313.120136-3.war which is built off the current head of master (68a23fcfb3).

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2017, 2:36:09 PM3/13/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi, im wondering if we could include two or three of my polygerrit fixes for prefixed urls please in gerrit 2.14?

Those fixes will allow me to try and get wikimedia to enable the beta polygerrit ui through a cookie.

Matthew Webber

Mar 14, 2017, 6:00:09 AM3/14/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, mat...@unsolvable.org
On Monday, 13 March 2017 12:04:23 UTC, David Pursehouse wrote:
Please try again with gerrit-war-2.14-20170313.120136-3.war which is built off the current head of master (68a23fcfb3)

That installs ok. I tested both as a fresh install, and as an upgrade from 2.13.6.
The web page footer still refers to 2.13:
"Powered by Gerrit Code Review (2.13.6-3140-g68a23fcfb3) | New UI | Press '?' to view keyboard shortcuts"
which I presume will get fixed in the RC.

I was a little surprised to see that upgrading just from 2.13.6 to 2.14.snapshot went through a lot of schema changes:
Upgrading schema to 130 ...
Upgrading schema to 131 ...
all the way to
Upgrading schema to 142 ...
I presume that's expected?

Matthew

David Pursehouse

Mar 14, 2017, 6:47:09 AM3/14/17
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 7:00 PM Matthew Webber <mat...@unsolvable.org> wrote:
On Monday, 13 March 2017 12:04:23 UTC, David Pursehouse wrote:
Please try again with gerrit-war-2.14-20170313.120136-3.war which is built off the current head of master (68a23fcfb3)

That installs ok. I tested both as a fresh install, and as an upgrade from 2.13.6.
The web page footer still refers to 2.13:
"Powered by Gerrit Code Review (2.13.6-3140-g68a23fcfb3) | New UI | Press '?' to view keyboard shortcuts"
which I presume will get fixed in the RC.

This is expected.  The version string is taken from `git describe` and the head of master when I built that snapshot was 3140 commits ahead of the latest tag, which is 2.13.6.

I was a little surprised to see that upgrading just from 2.13.6 to 2.14.snapshot went through a lot of schema changes:
Upgrading schema to 130 ...
Upgrading schema to 131 ...
all the way to
Upgrading schema to 142 ...
I presume that's expected?

Yes, it's expected.  As you can see above there have been a lot of commits on master since 2.13.6 (actually more like since stable-2.13 was cut) so it's not too surprising that there have been schema changes.

$ git diff v2.13.6..origin/master gerrit-server/src/main/java/com/google/gerrit/server/schema/SchemaVersion.java | grep Schema_
-  public static final Class<Schema_129> C = Schema_129.class;
+  public static final Class<Schema_142> C = Schema_142.class;

Patrick Hiesel

Mar 14, 2017, 10:01:54 AM3/14/17
to David Pursehouse, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 12:31 PM, David Pursehouse <david.pu...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Cool, thanks for mentioning that.

I would propose, that we cut the release branch on:

Monday, 03/20/2017 10 am CET

And create 2.14-RC0 and keep it around for a week or two to see if any we discover any release-blockers and release the 'stable' version (hopefully) within two weeks after that.

Sounds like a plan.  Shall we use the "blocking-2.14" label/hashtag to track issues/changes that we need to get in before branching/tagging?

I think it would make sense!

Since I am not a maintainer, I'll probably ask Edwin (or David P/David O) to perform the steps where I lack permission.

I can help with this, but not on Monday which is a public holiday over here.

Cool, I can start with it on Monday and you join on Tuesday. I assume it will be a process lasting over a couple of days anyway.

Happy to get your opinion on this!

Thanks,
Patrick

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 14, 2017, 4:24:13 PM3/14/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Could we get this https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/95673/ merfed for the 2.14 release please? needed for the newer mariadb connector. No changes needed internally in gerrit i think but a new gwtorm release will be needed.

David Ostrovsky

Mar 14, 2017, 5:32:18 PM3/14/17

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:24:13 PM UTC+1, thomasmu...@yahoo.com wrote:
Could we get this https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/95673/ merfed for the 2.14 release please? needed for the newer mariadb connector. No changes needed internally in gerrit i think but a new gwtorm release will be needed.

I'm confused. Wouldn't gwtorm support for MariaDB connector be a no-op
without support for this dialect in gerrit core? As I tried to explain you in the
reviews for gwtorm and gerrit-core changes, and that's still my understanding
of your use case, you don't really need MariaDB dialect support, all you want
is to use different driver with MySQL database:

  Gerrit => Gwtorm MySQL-Dialect => MariaDB-driver => MySQL-Database

All you need is to switch to a different driver. So basically you put mariadb
connector into <gerrit_site>/lib directory and add this line in gerrit.config file:

  database.driver = org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver

Can't you make it already work on 2.13.x gerrit release that Wikimedia is using?
As Dave pointed out in the last comment to: [1], he wouldn't object to merge
MariaDB support in gerrit. I just don't understand why it's needed.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 14, 2017, 6:26:42 PM3/14/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
No, there 1.5.9 release broke it so that mysql driver can be in the same path as mariadb one. See release notes at https://github.com/MariaDB/mariadb-connector-j/releases/tag/1.5.9

Notice "CONJ-423 : Permit to have MySQL driver and MariaDB driver in same classpath"

That one broke it so you carn't do jdbc:mariadb anymore with the gwtorm change. But what you can do is jdbc:mysql with the mariadb driver and that works. I had this problem when i upgraded to 1.5.9 last week. It was complaning about no dialect for jdbc:mariadb.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 14, 2017, 6:43:52 PM3/14/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Using this

        driver = org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver

        hostname = localhost

        database = reviewdb

        username = root

        url = jdbc:mariadb://localhost/reviewdb?sessionVariables=character_set_client=utf8mb4,character_set_results=utf8mb4,character_set_connection=utf8mb4,collation_connection=utf8mb4_unicode_ci,collation_database=utf8mb4_unicode_ci,collation_server=utf8mb4_unicode_ci

        type = jdbc

results in this error

[2017-03-14 22:38:51,703] [main] ERROR com.google.gerrit.pgm.Daemon : Unable to start daemon

com.google.gerrit.common.Die: No dialect known for jdbc:mariadb://localhost/reviewdb?sessionVariables=character_set_client=utf8mb4,character_set_results=utf8mb4,character_set_connection=utf8mb4,collation_connection=utf8mb4_unicode_ci,collation_database=utf8mb4_unicode_ci,collation_server=utf8mb4_unicode_ci

at com.google.gerrit.pgm.util.AbstractProgram.die(AbstractProgram.java:84)

at com.google.gerrit.pgm.util.SiteProgram.createDbInjector(SiteProgram.java:221)

at com.google.gerrit.pgm.Daemon.start(Daemon.java:296)

at com.google.gerrit.pgm.Daemon.run(Daemon.java:229)

at com.google.gerrit.pgm.util.AbstractProgram.main(AbstractProgram.java:61)

at com.google.gerrit.launcher.GerritLauncher.invokeProgram(GerritLauncher.java:203)

at com.google.gerrit.launcher.GerritLauncher.mainImpl(GerritLauncher.java:108)

at com.google.gerrit.launcher.GerritLauncher.main(GerritLauncher.java:63)

at Main.main(Main.java:24)

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: DbInjector failed

... 12 more

Caused by: com.google.inject.CreationException: Unable to create injector, see the following errors:

But doing

        driver = org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver

        hostname = localhost

        database = reviewdb

        username = root

        url = jdbc:mysql://localhost/reviewdb?sessionVariables=character_set_client=utf8mb4,character_set_results=utf8mb4,character_set_connection=utf8mb4,collation_connection=utf8mb4_unicode_ci,collation_database=utf8mb4_unicode_ci,collation_server=utf8mb4_unicode_ci

        type = jdbc

Works.

Since mysql has a dialect in gwtorm and mariadb dosen't. By that i mean jdbc:mysql is in gwtorm and jdbc:mariadb isen't Since 1.5.9 it now does the required behavour that we wanted in the first place. But also broke our workaround in the process. So now we need mariadb in the gwtorm otherwise if you have the mysql connector it may get confussed and use just the mysql connector.

David Ostrovsky

Mar 14, 2017, 6:55:29 PM3/14/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Reading the issue you pointed to: [1], I don't understand, why it shouldn't use the MariaDB driver,
with MySQL on the same classpath (can't your remove the MySQL driver from <gerrit_path>/lib in the first place?):

"So when MySQL AND MariaDB drivers are on same classpath, DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:mysql://localhost/db?user=root&disableMariaDbDriver") will always return a connection using MySQL driver"

You havn't provided the "disableMariaDbDriver" in the connection string, right? So what extactly doesn't work?
Have you debugged and tracked down what is going on?

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 14, 2017, 6:59:42 PM3/14/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Nope i haven't tryed to debug as i presume it's because it's missing jdbc:mariadb in gwtorm. They seem to have fixed it so it behaves as how we wanted it to be in the first place. Instead of jdbc:mariadb thinking it's jdbc:mysql.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 14, 2017, 7:02:38 PM3/14/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I've just tested with my gwtorm change and that fixes it. So i can presume now that they corrected the behavour.

David Ostrovsky

Mar 14, 2017, 7:10:15 PM3/14/17

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 11:59:42 PM UTC+1, thomasmu...@yahoo.com wrote:
Nope i haven't tryed to debug as i presume it's because it's missing jdbc:mariadb in gwtorm. They seem to have fixed it so it behaves as how we wanted it to be in the first place. Instead of jdbc:mariadb thinking it's jdbc:mysql.

My question is what the problem is with using:

 url =  jdbc:mysql://localhost/reviewdb
 driver = org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver

with the new MariaDB 1.5.9 driver. What doesnt work, without changing gwtorm?

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 14, 2017, 7:40:04 PM3/14/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
that part works, it's this

url = jdbc:mariadb://localhost/reviewdb

part that doesen't. That part works in 1.5.8 but dosen't in 1.5.9. Using my gwtorm change. Doing that works in 1.5.9.

David Ostrovsky

Mar 15, 2017, 1:52:02 AM3/15/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 12:40:04 AM UTC+1, thomasmu...@yahoo.com wrote:
that part works, it's this

url = jdbc:mariadb://localhost/reviewdb

part that doesen't. That part works in 1.5.8 but dosen't in 1.5.9. Using my gwtorm change. Doing that works in 1.5.9.

What doesn't work? Let's stop spamming this thread and move
this discussion to the issue tracker. I just wrote this issue [1].

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 15, 2017, 6:49:25 AM3/15/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks, and sorry.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 19, 2017, 11:37:21 AM3/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
This https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/99004/ and https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/99673/ are ready to be included in the gerrit 2.14 release. Could someone merge them please? (polygerrit fixes)

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 19, 2017, 1:28:56 PM3/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I may have found a blocking bug for this release, see https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=5817

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 21, 2017, 12:17:42 PM3/21/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I've made https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/99004/ and https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/99673/ a blocking to this release as well polygerrit is now exposed in gerrit 2.14 which means users will want to try it out even if it is beta. It is also enabled by default so having a broken polygerrit ui on a prefixed url will not be good. I've tested these patches throughly on https://gerrit-new.wmflabs.org/r/?polygerrit=1 It dosen't fix everything but it fixes almost all cases which is better then leaving it broken for the 2.14 release. I've also noted a big increase in performance in using polygerrit on the website compared to using gwt. This also includes cherry picking. (This is no match to what prod users performance might look like if they have a large base of users.)

Matthew Webber

Mar 21, 2017, 12:49:34 PM3/21/17

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 4:17:42 PM UTC, thomasmu...@yahoo.com wrote:
I've also noted a big increase in performance in using polygerrit on the website compared to using gwt.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but do you mean performance got better (response time decreased) moving to polygerrit, or performance got worse (response time increased)?
Thanks!

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 21, 2017, 1:20:49 PM3/21/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
The performance got better. I notice things loading quickly. Though on wikimedia's prod gerrit site things may be different.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 21, 2017, 3:26:28 PM3/21/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
It took 5-10 seconds to load a change with gwt on gerrit-new.wmflabs.org. Takes 0-1 second on polygerrit.

Patrick Hiesel

Mar 23, 2017, 6:28:00 AM3/23/17
to David Pursehouse, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,

we have created the branch for stable-2.14 this morning.

I have seen that there are quite some library upgrades in progress and Edwin and David P recently brought up that we should release with all our libraries being up-to-date. One way to do this could be to make the upgrades on stable-2.14 and then merge the branch into master.

I would create the first RC next week when the majority of upgrades is merged.

Happy to hear your feedback on this plan.

Thanks!
Patrick

Gustaf Lundh

Mar 23, 2017, 6:44:13 AM3/23/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, hie...@google.com
> Sounds like a plan.  Shall we use the "blocking-2.14" label/hashtag to track issues/changes that we need to get in before branching/tagging?

On that note, should the Hashtags-support get into polygerrit before 2.14?

/Gustaf

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 12:31:27 PM UTC+1, David Pursehouse wrote:
[...]

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 23, 2017, 6:57:20 AM3/23/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I've cherry picked https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/100912/ and https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/100913/ onto the stable-2.14 branch waiting for review / merge please.

Edwin Kempin

Mar 23, 2017, 6:59:03 AM3/23/17
to Gustaf Lundh, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Patrick Hiesel
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Gustaf Lundh <gustaf...@axis.com> wrote:
> Sounds like a plan.  Shall we use the "blocking-2.14" label/hashtag to track issues/changes that we need to get in before branching/tagging?

On that note, should the Hashtags-support get into polygerrit before 2.14?
I don't think that anything in PolyGerrit should block the 2.14 release.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Mar 23, 2017, 7:02:17 AM3/23/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Oh but if polygerrit breaks on a prefixed URL it should be fixed. Which I have done.

David Pursehouse

Mar 23, 2017, 7:20:11 AM3/23/17
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 7:27 PM Patrick Hiesel <hie...@google.com> wrote:
Hi all,

we have created the branch for stable-2.14 this morning.

I have seen that there are quite some library upgrades in progress and Edwin and David P recently brought up that we should release with all our libraries being up-to-date. One way to do this could be to make the upgrades on stable-2.14 and then merge the branch into master.

SGTM.  I've already cherry-picked some of my changes across, starting with the ones we definitely need.  The rest can probably be left on master.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Patrick Hiesel

Apr 5, 2017, 11:48:53 AM4/5/17
to David Pursehouse, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,

thank you very much for all the contributions to the stable-2.14 release so far!!

When looking at Gerrit, I only see one open change for stable-2.14 and no changes marked with our blocking hashtag (yay!).

I would create the artifacts for RC0 on Monday if this state doesn't change significantly until then and double check that the release notes make sense.

As always, I am happy to get your input and reports of any blockers.

Thanks!
Patrick

Patrick Hiesel

Apr 11, 2017, 10:32:39 AM4/11/17
to David Pursehouse, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,

I am happy to announce that Gerrit 2.14-rc0 has been created and published to Maven Central. It should appear there within the next two hours.

- Patrick

Luca Milanesio

Apr 11, 2017, 10:34:31 AM4/11/17
to Patrick Hiesel, David Pursehouse, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Great news Patrick, Ver. 2.14 is the first one where we officially support (side-by-side of course) the new PolyGerrit UX, which is *amazing* !
Are we targeting the pre-hackathon dates to release the 2.14.0 ?

Luca.

---

Patrick Hiesel

Apr 11, 2017, 10:43:03 AM4/11/17
to Luca Milanesio, David Pursehouse, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I was thinking we could do RC1 next week and 2.14.0 during the hackathon then, but I am happy to do otherwise!

Patrick Hiesel

Apr 19, 2017, 2:49:00 AM4/19/17
to Luca Milanesio, David Pursehouse, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,

has anyone tested 2.14-RC0 in the wild yet? If so, did you detect any problems?

I would also be interested in positive reports as they increase confidence in the release :)

Thanks!
Patrick

Makson Lee

Apr 19, 2017, 8:27:59 AM4/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com, david.pu...@gmail.com
one of our custom plugin implemented in groovy doesn't work after upgraded to 2.14-rc0.

java.lang.AbstractMethodError
        at com
.google.gerrit.server.plugins.AutoRegisterModules.exportInitJs(AutoRegisterModules.java:133)
        at com
.google.gerrit.server.plugins.AutoRegisterModules.scan(AutoRegisterModules.java:127)
        at com
.google.gerrit.server.plugins.AutoRegisterModules.discover(AutoRegisterModules.java:83)
        at com
.google.gerrit.server.plugins.ServerPlugin.startPlugin(ServerPlugin.java:202)
        at com
.google.gerrit.server.plugins.ServerPlugin.start(ServerPlugin.java:188)
        at com
.google.gerrit.server.plugins.PluginLoader.runPlugin(PluginLoader.java:527)
        at com
.google.gerrit.server.plugins.PluginLoader.rescan(PluginLoader.java:455)
        at com
.google.gerrit.server.plugins.PluginLoader.start(PluginLoader.java:360)
        at com
.google.gerrit.lifecycle.LifecycleManager.start(LifecycleManager.java:92)
        at com
.google.gerrit.pgm.Daemon.start(Daemon.java:320)

        at com
.google.gerrit.pgm.Daemon.run(Daemon.java:229)
        at com
.google.gerrit.pgm.util.AbstractProgram.main(AbstractProgram.java:61)
        at sun
.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun
.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun
.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java
.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

        at com
.google.gerrit.launcher.GerritLauncher.invokeProgram(GerritLauncher.java:204)

        at com
.google.gerrit.launcher.GerritLauncher.mainImpl(GerritLauncher.java:108)
        at com
.google.gerrit.launcher.GerritLauncher.main(GerritLauncher.java:63)
        at
Main.main(Main.java:24)

Luca Milanesio

Apr 19, 2017, 8:45:02 AM4/19/17
to Makson Lee, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, david.pu...@gmail.com
Hi Markson,
I believe Patrick was referring to Gerrit itself.

With regards to plugins, I believe that a number of them would need some porting and adaptation.

Luca.

Makson Lee

Apr 19, 2017, 9:08:39 AM4/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, cdle...@gmail.com, david.pu...@gmail.com
got it, sorry for bothering, gerrit 2.14-rc0 itself is so far so good.

Reyad Attiyat

Apr 19, 2017, 2:21:43 PM4/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com, david.pu...@gmail.com
I have been running the release candidate for a couple weeks on one server and it works great. No problems to report!

Luca Milanesio

Apr 19, 2017, 3:19:56 PM4/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, David Pursehouse, Reyad Attiyat
There was actually an issue today with the OAuth + HTTP authentication.

Previously, the configuration of OAuth did not imply any change in the HTTP authentication, which was based on Digest Auth.
Now all the HTTP auth runs on Basic Auth and this OAuth requires the provider to resolve it rather than Gerrit.

By setting auth.gitBasicAuthPolicy = HTTP the problem was resolved.

This is possibly something we want to ask the user during the init phase: do you want to use OAuth or Gerrit for Git/HTTP authentication?

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 19, 2017, 3:33:17 PM4/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, David Pursehouse, Reyad Attiyat
Created an issue at [1], going to fix it now on stable-2.14.
Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 19, 2017, 3:59:52 PM4/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, David Pursehouse, Reyad Attiyat

James Hartig

Apr 21, 2017, 2:46:18 AM4/21/17
to Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, David Pursehouse, Reyad Attiyat
I'm noticing an issue with 2.14 that after login, I'm redirected to "Not found". Might be related to https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=3966 but here's what happens:
1. Goto gerrit logged out
2. URL is redirected to /q/status:open
3. Click "Sign in" (I'm using OAuth for login)
4. URL is //q/status:open# which shows "Not Found"

--
James Hartig
Software Engineer specializing in Javascript, PHP, and MongoDB

Twitter: @jameshartig

Patrick Hiesel

Apr 24, 2017, 9:16:57 AM4/24/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com, david.pu...@gmail.com, reyad....@gmail.com, james...@gmail.com
Hi James,

thanks for your report. Unfortunately I can't reproduce the issue you described. I tried both OpenId and OAuth (using the OAuth2 plugin with Google as the ID provider).

Does the issue persist for you? If so, could you please file a bug with more details on how to reproduce it?

Thanks!
Patrick

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:19 PM, David Pursehouse <> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 7:27 PM Patrick Hiesel <> wrote:
Hi all,

we have created the branch for stable-2.14 this morning.

I have seen that there are quite some library upgrades in progress and Edwin and David P recently brought up that we should release with all our libraries being up-to-date. One way to do this could be to make the upgrades on stable-2.14 and then merge the branch into master.

SGTM.  I've already cherry-picked some of my changes across, starting with the ones we definitely need.  The rest can probably be left on master.
I would create the first RC next week when the majority of upgrades is merged.

Happy to hear your feedback on this plan.

Thanks!
Patrick

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Patrick Hiesel <> wrote:

James Hartig

Apr 24, 2017, 10:00:32 AM4/24/17
to Patrick Hiesel, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio, David Pursehouse, Reyad Attiyat
Hey Patrick,

I just tried the latest 2.14 build from gerritforge and I'm not noticing the issue anymore.

Thanks!

patrick mulhall

Apr 24, 2017, 10:07:58 AM4/24/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Are you using polygerrit with a canonical URL like http://example.org/r/ ?

James Hartig

Apr 24, 2017, 10:10:05 AM4/24/17
to patrick mulhall, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
The canonical URL is "https://domain.com/" if that's what you're asking.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:07 AM, patrick mulhall <thomasmu...@btinternet.com> wrote:
Are you using polygerrit with a canonical URL like http://example.org/r/ ?

James Hartig

Patrick Hiesel

Apr 24, 2017, 11:12:42 AM4/24/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, thomasmu...@btinternet.com, james...@gmail.com
Thanks for filing the issue James. I've just released RC1 right before your report came in, so the issue will persist there. We will try to release RC2 tomorrow with the issue fixed and stable 2.14 on Wednesday then.

Thanks!
Patrick

James Hartig

Apr 24, 2017, 1:06:20 PM4/24/17
to Patrick Hiesel, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, patrick mulhall
Trying to use the OAuth Token with git over HTTP doens't appear to be working. I have:
auth.gitBasicAuthPolicy = HTTP

and when a request is made with the correct Cookies HTTP header, gerrit returns 401. Do I need to set auth.gitOAuthProvider? What's the format for the provider-name and plugin-name for google oauth via the "oauth" plugin?

Thanks!

--
James Hartig
Software Engineer specializing in Javascript, PHP, and MongoDB

Twitter: @jameshartig

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Nasser Grainawi

Apr 24, 2017, 2:09:07 PM4/24/17
to thomasmu...@yahoo.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, thomasmu...@btinternet.com, james...@gmail.com
On Apr 24, 2017, at 11:52 AM, thomasmulhall410 via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I wonder should we backport all the elasticsearch patches on master to stable-2.14 before releasing 2.14?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a stable branch?

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Apr 24, 2017, 2:31:42 PM4/24/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, thomasmu...@yahoo.com, thomasmu...@btinternet.com, james...@gmail.com
The elasticsearch changes were meant to be in 2.14 but wasent completed in time.

Martin Fick

Apr 24, 2017, 2:53:01 PM4/24/17
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, thomasmu...@yahoo.com, thomasmu...@btinternet.com, james...@gmail.com
On Monday, April 24, 2017 11:31:42 AM thomasmulhall410 via
Repo and Gerrit Discussion wrote:
> The elasticsearch changes were meant to be in 2.14 but
> wasent completed in time.

(top-posting, difficult to follow...)

If they weren't ready for 2.14 it likely means they aren't
stable and should wait for 2.15.

-Martin

--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code
Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation

James Hartig

Apr 24, 2017, 10:16:58 PM4/24/17
to Patrick Hiesel, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, patrick mulhall
Filed oauth token via gitcookies not working in https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=6070

David Pursehouse

Apr 25, 2017, 1:30:40 AM4/25/17
to Martin Fick, repo-d...@googlegroups.com, thomasmu...@yahoo.com, thomasmu...@btinternet.com, james...@gmail.com
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM Martin Fick <mf...@codeaurora.org> wrote:
On Monday, April 24, 2017 11:31:42 AM thomasmulhall410 via
Repo and Gerrit Discussion wrote:
> The elasticsearch changes were meant to be in 2.14 but
> wasent completed in time.

(top-posting, difficult to follow...)

If they weren't ready for 2.14 it likely means they aren't
stable and should wait for 2.15.

We discussed this yesterday at the start of the hackathon.

While the majority of the ES implementation is already in 2.14, there are still some issues with it that basically make it not usable.

It was decided that we will push fixes to master during this week, and then if they are not too invasive cherry-pick them to stable-2.14 but *after* the final 2.14 release so they will be in 2.14.1.

-Martin

--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code
Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation

lucamilanesio

Apr 25, 2017, 6:05:56 AM4/25/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, hie...@google.com, thomasmu...@btinternet.com, james...@gmail.com
Hi James,
I believe you have been misled by a bug on the UX, let me explain.

When you configure auth.gitBasicAuthPolicy = HTTP, you delegate the Git/HTTP authentication to Gerrit HTTP generated password validation. You then need to use normal HTTP user/password authentication with Git client (interactively or via .netrc).

The UX however still shows the instructions on how to use Git/OAuth using cookies, which does not apply to your setup.

@DavidO is currently fixing it on stable-2.14.

Hope this clarifies.

Luca
Thanks!
Patrick

James Hartig

Apr 25, 2017, 9:38:12 AM4/25/17
to lucamilanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Patrick Hiesel, patrick mulhall
Hey Luca,

Sorry for the misunderstanding and I appreciate the clarification. If I disable auth.gitBasicAuthPolicy = HTTP and try to use the token in gitcookies, then OAuth throws an exception that I originally (incorrectly) filed here https://github.com/davido/gerrit-oauth-provider/issues/88. Is there no way to use the OAuth tokens via git?

Thanks

--
James Hartig
Software Engineer specializing in Javascript, PHP, and MongoDB

Twitter: @jameshartig

Luca Milanesio

Apr 25, 2017, 9:42:15 AM4/25/17
to James Hartig, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Patrick Hiesel, patrick mulhall
Hi James,
this thread is about Gerrit 2.14 release and blocking issues: was this working before?

My understanding is that OAuth providers (gerrit-oauth) have limited support for Git/HTTP, that's why the HTTP authentication is the default.
This hasn't changed.

Luca.

James Hartig

Apr 25, 2017, 9:44:18 AM4/25/17
to Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Patrick Hiesel, patrick mulhall
I only mentioned it in this thread because it seems like the OAuth tokens were introduced there, I had not seen that option in settings in 2.13, and that's why I was asking for clarification about why they weren't working.

--
James Hartig
Software Engineer specializing in Javascript, PHP, and MongoDB

Twitter: @jameshartig

Luca Milanesio

Apr 25, 2017, 9:47:03 AM4/25/17
to James Hartig, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Patrick Hiesel, patrick mulhall
Hi James,
the OAuth isn't a 2.14 feature (it was introduced back in 2.10.x / 2.11) and the Git/OAuth hasn't implemented yet, with the exception of the CFOAuth provider (CloudFoundry).

We shouldn't then consider it blocking for 2.14, it is just yet another missing feature never implemented :-)

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 25, 2017, 9:56:00 AM4/25/17
to James Hartig, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Patrick Hiesel, patrick mulhall
Hi James,
I re-read your message and I see where the confusion is coming from.

What you saw is a UX bug: the Git/OAuth instructions shown in the user's settings isn't in sync with what Gerrit can do.
That feature hasn't implemented yet, apart from the CFOAuth / CloudFoundry integration.

Hope this clarifies.

Luca.

James Hartig

Apr 25, 2017, 10:03:12 AM4/25/17
to Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Patrick Hiesel, patrick mulhall
Gotcha, I think that is the confusing part as well on my end. I appreciate the clarification and sorry if I took the thread off course.

--
James Hartig
Software Engineer specializing in Javascript, PHP, and MongoDB

Twitter: @jameshartig

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Apr 25, 2017, 3:29:08 PM4/25/17