Temporarily disable GerritForge CI?

Dave Borowitz

Apr 15, 2016, 2:50:15 PM4/15/16
to repo-discuss, Luca Milanesio
It looks like GerritForge CI has been failing for a few days due to, I dunno, a buck caching bug or something. At this point all its -1s are kind of counterproductive.

Luca, it would be great if you could look at it at some point, but I don't want to put too much pressure on you for this volunteer work you're doing for us :)

In the meantime, what could we do to reduce the noise? Maybe temporarily revoke the user's permission to set Verified?

Michael Zhou

Apr 15, 2016, 4:33:39 PM4/15/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com
Yes I think it's reasonable to disable it until we find a solution.

Quoting Luca from https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/76199/

It isn't the first time that a BUCK change would need to manually emptying out all the ~/.gerritcodereview content. I wonder if I should just do it automatically by checking the git log of a commit.

So that might be it, although IMHO it's really a Buck issue.

lucamilanesio

Apr 15, 2016, 4:40:58 PM4/15/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com
Rather than disabling the CI altogether (a bit drastic !) I would opt for merging a workaround (see [1]).

lucamilanesio

Apr 15, 2016, 4:42:19 PM4/15/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com

lucamilanesio

Apr 19, 2016, 3:02:07 AM4/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com
GerritForge CI seems stable again :-)
As Dave predicted, the overhead of removing the Buck cache is not that high, only around 4 minutes.

We can leave it as-is at the moment, waiting to discover why a fully populated Buck cache causes this JGit compilation error.

Luca.

Michael Zhou

Apr 19, 2016, 3:19:02 AM4/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, luca.mi...@gmail.com
Thanks Luca! In the meantime my change to update Buck (https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/76656/) also fails on the CI only. The CI doesn't use buckd / watchman which is different from my local environment.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 19, 2016, 4:10:42 AM4/19/16
to Michael Zhou, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
True, we don't use buckd / watchman on CI ... does this mean that after your change, the use of them will become mandatory?

Luca.

lucamilanesio

Apr 19, 2016, 4:44:27 AM4/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zhoumoto...@gmail.com
Failure is quite strange:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Raw data claims to come from [lib/jgit/org.eclipse.jgit], but we tried rooting it at [org.eclipse.jgit].
	at com.facebook.buck.parser.ParsePipeline.parseBuildTargetFromRawRule(ParsePipeline.java:556)

Needs some digging into Buck to see what has introduced the problem ...

Luca.

David Ostrovsky

Apr 19, 2016, 4:46:46 AM4/19/16

Am Dienstag, 19. April 2016 10:44:27 UTC+2 schrieb lucamilanesio:
Failure is quite strange:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Raw data claims to come from [lib/jgit/org.eclipse.jgit], but we tried rooting it at [org.eclipse.jgit].
	at com.facebook.buck.parser.ParsePipeline.parseBuildTargetFromRawRule(ParsePipeline.java:556)

Needs some digging into Buck to see what has introduced the problem ...

May be related to cross-cell JGit support we've added recently.

Michael Zhou

Apr 19, 2016, 4:50:01 AM4/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Well it shouldn't be mandatory if the build without buckd passes :)

lucamilanesio

Apr 19, 2016, 5:00:43 AM4/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zhoumoto...@gmail.com

lucamilanesio

Apr 19, 2016, 5:25:37 AM4/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zhoumoto...@gmail.com
Just tried now locally (MacOS X) and it fails *exactly* in the same way as in CI:

$ buck test

Not using buckd because watchman isn't installed.

[-] PROCESSING BUCK FILES...FINISHED 0.3s [100%]

[+] DOWNLOADING... (0.00 B/S, TOTAL: 0.00 B, 0 Artifacts)

[+] BUILDING...5.6s

[2016-04-19 10:23:32.010][error][command:daba45d0-2865-4995-b993-1bcf3e2e1861][tid:01][com.facebook.buck.cli.Main] Uncaught exception at top level

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Raw data claims to come from [lib/jgit/org.eclipse.jgit], but we tried rooting it at [org.eclipse.jgit].

at com.facebook.buck.parser.ParsePipeline.parseBuildTargetFromRawRule(ParsePipeline.java:556)

Please note that isn't the build itself that fails but the *test*.

@Michael have you tried to run it locally without buckd and watchman? (cleaning up your ~/.gerritcodereview and starting with a fresh clone)

lucamilanesio

Apr 19, 2016, 5:29:35 AM4/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zhoumoto...@gmail.com
... and it seems to break *ONLY* with your Buck update. It doesn't fail for other changes.

Possibly a Buck regression introduced with the performance improvement?

Luca.

lucamilanesio

Apr 19, 2016, 5:43:27 AM4/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zhoumoto...@gmail.com
We can discuss this issue but it is not related to the "Temporarily Disable GerritForge CI": does not make sense to disable the CI because a single change has (indirectly) introduced a real regression IMHO :-)
The CI is the thermometer of the fever and *is not* the cause of the illness :-) Not checking your temperature if you are ill isn't the solution to the problem.

Luca.

David Ostrovsky

Apr 19, 2016, 8:00:03 AM4/19/16

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 11:43:27 AM UTC+2, lucamilanesio wrote:
We can discuss this issue but it is not related to the "Temporarily Disable GerritForge CI": does not make sense to disable the CI because a single change has (indirectly) introduced a real regression IMHO :-)
The CI is the thermometer of the fever and *is not* the cause of the illness :-) Not checking your temperature if you are ill isn't the solution to the problem.

I can reproduce the breakage here [1] and you are right, has
nothing to do with this thread: non stable CI.  I think Michael
missed the fact that the breakage only caused by: `buck test`.

David Ostrovsky

Apr 19, 2016, 9:02:09 AM4/19/16

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 2:00:03 PM UTC+2, David Ostrovsky wrote:

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 11:43:27 AM UTC+2, lucamilanesio wrote:
We can discuss this issue but it is not related to the "Temporarily Disable GerritForge CI": does not make sense to disable the CI because a single change has (indirectly) introduced a real regression IMHO :-)
The CI is the thermometer of the fever and *is not* the cause of the illness :-) Not checking your temperature if you are ill isn't the solution to the problem.

I can reproduce the breakage here [1] and you are right, has
nothing to do with this thread: non stable CI.

The commit that broke `buck test` is: [1]. I filed upstream issue: [2].

lucamilanesio

Apr 19, 2016, 9:05:37 AM4/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, zhoumoto...@gmail.com
Thanks David for deep diving into the real cause: so actually the JGit cell separation *is* the original cause that appeared only because of this "extra check" they introduced.
It would be interesting to see their comments to the issue you've just raised :-)

In the meantime ... let's close this topic of "CI being unstable" :-) ... at least for now ;-)

David Ostrovsky