[ANNOUNCE] Gerrit 2.15-rc1

Dave Borowitz

Oct 9, 2017, 5:23:31 PM10/9/17
to repo-discuss

James Hartig

Oct 9, 2017, 10:25:40 PM10/9/17
to Dave Borowitz, repo-discuss
Great! Just switched from 2.14.4 to 2.15-rc1 and ran init and reindex. I assume that moved accounts to NoteDB but not changes. When I tried to mark a WIP change as ready using the "Start Review" button in the UI it errored:

Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/google/gerrit/server/events/DraftPublishedEvent
at com.criteo.gerrit.plugins.automerge.AutomaticMerger.onEvent(AutomaticMerger.java:75)
at com.google.gerrit.common.EventBroker.fireEventForUnrestrictedListeners(EventBroker.java:113)
at com.google.gerrit.common.EventBroker.fireEvent(EventBroker.java:124)
at com.google.gerrit.common.EventBroker.postEvent(EventBroker.java:92)
at com.google.gerrit.server.events.StreamEventsApiListener.onCommentAdded(StreamEventsApiListener.java:405)
at com.google.gerrit.server.extensions.events.CommentAdded.fire(CommentAdded.java:72)
at com.google.gerrit.server.change.PostReview$Op.postUpdate(PostReview.java:887)
at com.google.gerrit.server.update.ReviewDbBatchUpdate.executePostOps(ReviewDbBatchUpdate.java:852)
at com.google.gerrit.server.update.ReviewDbBatchUpdate.execute(ReviewDbBatchUpdate.java:300)
at com.google.gerrit.server.update.ReviewDbBatchUpdate.execute(ReviewDbBatchUpdate.java:361)
at com.google.gerrit.server.update.BatchUpdate.execute(BatchUpdate.java:283)
at com.google.gerrit.server.change.PostReview.apply(PostReview.java:365)
at com.google.gerrit.server.change.PostReview.applyImpl(PostReview.java:216)
at com.google.gerrit.server.change.PostReview.applyImpl(PostReview.java:139)
at com.google.gerrit.server.update.RetryingRestModifyView.lambda$apply$0(RetryingRestModifyView.java:30)
at com.google.gerrit.server.update.RetryHelper.lambda$execute$0(RetryHelper.java:169)
at com.github.rholder.retry.AttemptTimeLimiters$NoAttemptTimeLimit.call(AttemptTimeLimiters.java:78)
at com.github.rholder.retry.Retryer.call(Retryer.java:160)

It did actually mark it as ready when I refreshed. Looking at the stacktrace, I assume this is because autosubmitter plugin hasn't been updated yet for 2.15? Just thought I'd ask.

James Hartig

Oct 9, 2017, 11:25:18 PM10/9/17
to Dave Borowitz, repo-discuss
Additionally, when trying to create a branch (on new or existing projects), I get:
[remote rejected] master -> master (prohibited by Gerrit: create not permitted)

I didn't change any permissions between 2.14 and 2.15. Here are the relevant permissions:
[access "refs/heads/*"]
create = group Registered Users
[access "refs/heads/master"]
exclusiveGroupPermissions = create delete push
create = group Administrators
create = group Project Owners

I'm both the Administrator and Project Owner for this repo. I've tried reindexing and removing/re-adding myself from groups. The same error is returned when I try and create other branches besides master as well.

Edwin Kempin

Oct 10, 2017, 2:27:31 AM10/10/17
to James Hartig, Dave Borowitz, repo-discuss
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:24 AM, James Hartig <faste...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Yes, exactly. Support for draft changes has been removed with Gerrit 2.15 so there is no DraftPublishedEvent anymore. The plugin must be adapted to not depend on this class.

Edwin Kempin

Oct 10, 2017, 2:31:36 AM10/10/17
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 5:24 AM, James Hartig <faste...@gmail.com> wrote:
Additionally, when trying to create a branch (on new or existing projects), I get:
[remote rejected] master -> master (prohibited by Gerrit: create not permitted)

I didn't change any permissions between 2.14 and 2.15. Here are the relevant permissions:
[access "refs/heads/*"]
create = group Registered Users
[access "refs/heads/master"]
exclusiveGroupPermissions = create delete push
create = group Administrators
create = group Project Owners

I'm both the Administrator and Project Owner for this repo. I've tried reindexing and removing/re-adding myself from groups. The same error is returned when I try and create other branches besides master as well.
Likely your push is trying to create the branch on a new commit. In this case you need push permission on the branch for pushing the new commit to it. But then the error message would be confusing :/

James Hartig

Oct 10, 2017, 7:03:19 AM10/10/17
to Edwin Kempin, Dave Borowitz, repo-discuss
I also have push on the branch:

[access "refs/heads/*"]
push = +force group Registered Users
[access "refs/heads/master"]
push = group Administrators
push = group Project Owners

If that's what you mean?

Edwin Kempin

Oct 10, 2017, 7:08:59 AM10/10/17
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:02 PM, James Hartig <faste...@gmail.com> wrote:
I also have push on the branch:

[access "refs/heads/*"]
push = +force group Registered Users
[access "refs/heads/master"]
push = group Administrators
push = group Project Owners

If that's what you mean?
Yes this is what I meant.

Hmm, not sure then. The error message seems to indicate a problem with the 'Create' permission. Maybe this permission is blocked on a parent project?

James Hartig

Oct 10, 2017, 7:17:04 AM10/10/17
to Edwin Kempin, Dave Borowitz, repo-discuss
Is there anything that specifically changed with this with 2.15? The permissions haven't been changed at all since 2.14.

The permissions I shared were on All-Projects and the repo I'm trying to push to inherits directly from that project.

Edwin Kempin

Oct 10, 2017, 7:21:12 AM10/10/17
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:16 PM, James Hartig <faste...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there anything that specifically changed with this with 2.15? The permissions haven't been changed at all since 2.14.
No, but there have been quite some refactorings in this area.
It's hard to reproduce without knowing the full set of permissions of all involved projects. Can you share the complete picture and file this as a bug?

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Oct 10, 2017, 7:28:05 AM10/10/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
You need to upgrade automerger to the latest commit which you can download the plugin from https://gerrit-ci.gerritforge.com/job/plugin-automerger-bazel-master-master/

Makson Lee

Oct 10, 2017, 9:09:57 AM10/10/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Oct 10, 2017, 9:16:20 AM10/10/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Oh i see thanks.

James Hartig

Oct 10, 2017, 9:16:28 AM10/10/17
to Makson Lee, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Yes, I was talking about the autosubmitter, though the folder names are confusing between the 2 plugins.

Additionally, I filed the bug about not being able to create any branches and attached our full config to the bug: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=7385

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Oct 10, 2017, 9:46:57 AM10/10/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Fixed the plugin https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/#/c/plugins/autosubmitter/+/131912/ (Untested but building it works).

Adeodato Simó

Oct 11, 2017, 11:48:57 AM10/11/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Quick note that there’s a typo here, and the link points to 2.15-r0.war, instead of rc1.
SHA1:
0e6620fa64998f9abb3539e8b1ac313022fefa0a

The hashes seem correct for gerrit-2.15-rc1.war.

-d

Dave Borowitz

Oct 11, 2017, 11:50:46 AM10/11/17
to Adeodato Simó, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks for the correction. The correct link is:
https://gerrit-releases.storage.googleapis.com/gerrit-2.15-rc1.war

This download should match the hashes in my original email.

James Hartig

Oct 11, 2017, 5:20:43 PM10/11/17
to thomasmu...@yahoo.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks! I can confirm that your change works. Though instead of currentUser I tried getBotUser() for the submitRuleEvaluatorFactory.

Before 2.15, when autosubmitter merged a change it said "Autosubmitter merged this change". In 2.15 it now attributes the merge to the person who voted last (and caused the merge), instead of autosubmitter. Is that intended?

For example:
In 2.14: Brian adds Code-Review: +2, then autosubmitter merged this change, immediately after
In 2.15: Brian adds Code-Review: +2, then Brian merged this change, immediately after

The autosubmitter code looks like it's using getBotUser() in getRevisionResource() so I'm not sure if this is intended or a bug.

Thanks!