How many active projects is too many

David Shrum

Jul 18, 2017, 3:51:16 PM7/18/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
With the different aspects of Gerrit scaling, one item mentioned in the past in some scaling recommendations was how many active Gerrit projects should be used for a single Gerrit Master.
Is 6,000 to many or pose any risk as that number grows?
Is 10,000 to many?
We have seen that request like ls-projects would want to make sure that the cache size for projects is larger than the actual number of projects.  Or on Gerrit restart, then the number of replication task automatically scheduled if the replication.config setting for replicateOnStartup is true.  What other issues does it cause?

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2017, 3:18:11 AM7/19/17
to David Shrum, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
It really depends on how big they are.
Our average size is around 100Mb and we have over 30K in a single instance.

Luca

Sent from my iPhone

David Shrum

Jul 19, 2017, 9:54:37 AM7/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, dshr...@gmail.com
If I may ask, what Gerrit version are you using?  How many cores and memory for the Gerrit Master, and JVM size?  How many replicas?

scgov...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:35:08 AM7/20/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi David, would you mind sharing  your resources here please. because we have only 2200 in one instance and people are afraid.

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 2:24:39 AM7/20/17

On 19 Jul 2017, at 14:54, David Shrum <dshr...@gmail.com> wrote:

If I may ask, what Gerrit version are you using?

We use Gerrit master branch.

How many cores

32

and memory

128gb

for the Gerrit Master, and JVM size?

70gb

How many replicas?

Around 300, every organisation self organise its own replicas

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 3:18:11 AM UTC-4, lucamilanesio wrote:
It really depends on how big they are.
Our average size is around 100Mb and we have over 30K in a single instance.

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 2:25:32 AM7/20/17
to scgov...@gmail.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Have you tried contacting GerritForge for a system and configuration health check?

Luca

Sent from my iPhone

David Shrum

Jul 20, 2017, 12:53:16 PM7/20/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
20 cores with 64GB memory, 40GB java heap on Gerrit 2.13.5

scgov...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:02:26 PM7/20/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, dshr...@gmail.com
Hi guys, I am glad for your replies.

I have one more question. In my case we have 1 master and 4 slaves. master running on
16cores and 32GB RAM. with 16GB of heap memory. we have 2200 repos right now. with this configuration how many projects we can handle. we are using 2.12.6 version.

We are not using the same database for all the master and mirrors. they have their own databases.
Users are required to add their ssh-keys on each and every instance to perform pull and push operations. so we are finding a way to replicate the ssh keys so that user will add the key into the master and it will replicate to the mirrors. is that possible??

If we use the same database for all master and mirrors, can this issue be resolved?

Please share ur ideas on this.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:08:54 PM7/20/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, dshr...@gmail.com
Hi, gerrit 2.13 migrates the keys to be stored in a git repo. So they are no longer stored in the db. So as they are in the git format (All-Users) it will be replicated.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:10:55 PM7/20/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

I do suggest going with 2.14.2 instead of 2.13.x though.

scgov...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:48:24 PM7/20/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, dshr...@gmail.com
Hi Thomas,
Thank you for the reply. I got it.

 What command can be used to check the ssh-key values of a user. I checked with my test instance. i could find the UIDs but i could not find the ssh-key values there. Is there any specific command to check the values. Like in db it was stored in the tables so we can easily check the keys with corresponding user ids. here in GIT how can we check.

Please reply.

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Jul 20, 2017, 1:59:37 PM7/20/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, dshr...@gmail.com
if you run gerrit 2.13 or 2.14 you can checkout All-Users. then vi .git/config and change refs/heads/* to refs/* then git pull. You should see alot of refs being git cloned. if you check them out, it should store the users preference and ssh key.

Also im not sure if there's an command to check for the ssh key.