Gerrit appears to be confused about a change's parents needing to be submitted

euphxenos

Jun 19, 2017, 7:32:45 PM6/19/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
We're on Gerrit 2.13.7.  We have a project in which some other branch gets merged into master, we push that change in for review, give it a +2 review and +1 verification, and Gerrit will not allow this new merge commit to be submitted without its parents.  In "submitted together" a couple of older, abandoned changes are listed.  When I look in the git log for master, I see that both of the commits in those two changes are already present in master.  However, there are also abandoned reviews for those commits on master in Gerrit.  I'm not sure how those changes got into master if their reviews are abandoned.  Since both of those two commits are already reachable from master, why is Gerrit preventing this new merge commit from being submitted?  What do I need to do to convince Gerrit those two changes are already in master so that this merge can be submitted?

thanks,
--Andrew

David Pursehouse

Jun 20, 2017, 12:09:41 AM6/20/17
to euphxenos, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 8:32 AM euphxenos <euph...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

You could try to use the consistency checker to fix those changes:

thanks,
--Andrew

euphxenos

Jun 20, 2017, 1:12:48 AM6/20/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, euph...@gmail.com

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 9:09:41 PM UTC-7, David Pursehouse wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried using the consistency checker on all three changes, but it reported that it didn't find any problems with any of them.

I wonder if we'll need to restore and submit those two abandoned changes to get past this (of course, they both have merge conflicts, since they're both changes that have already been put into master somehow).  Deleting those changes seems like it might be a bad idea, if that caused the commits to be removed from refs/heads.

--Andrew

David Pursehouse

Jun 20, 2017, 1:29:13 AM6/20/17
On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 2:12 PM euphxenos <euph...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Also try to restore the abandoned change and then run the consistency checked on it.

euphxenos

Jun 20, 2017, 8:10:37 PM6/20/17

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 10:29:13 PM UTC-7, David Pursehouse wrote:
[...]

The consistency checker still found no problems, even after they were restored.  We ended up restoring those two reviews, forcing them into drafts, and deleting them.  Then we were able to submit that merge.

thanks,
--Andrew