Gerrit for Gmail Chrome extension

Chung Wu

Feb 14, 2018, 2:06:01 PM2/14/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,

I've been working on a Chrome extension that turns Gmail into a mini-Gerrit client, and makes your Gerrit emails more useful and actionable.  From within Gmail, you can view colored-diffs and threaded discussions, add comments or respond to comments, and approve and merge commits.  It's something that our team has found very useful in reducing the friction for reviewing small changes, so I thought I'd share it more broadly here!  I would love feedback and welcome contributions :-)

You can find more info here, and install the Chrome extension or the Firefox Add-on.

Here are some screenshots, taken of actual Gerrit emails from the Gerrit repo; sorry for those inadvertently featured here! :-p

Change emails: shows colored diffs, and you can comment on line changes directly.
diffs

Comment emails: shows threaded discussions, and you can reply to comments directly.

Threadlist view: shows Gerrit status for each email, so you can easily tell which ones you need to pay attention to.
threadlist

Thanks!

Chung

Luca Milanesio

Feb 15, 2018, 6:22:46 PM2/15/18
to Chung Wu, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
*REALLY COOL* !!! Thanks for sharing it :-)

> On 14 Feb 2018, at 19:06, Chung Wu <chu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've been working on a Chrome extension that turns Gmail into a mini-Gerrit client, and makes your Gerrit emails more useful and actionable. From within Gmail, you can view colored-diffs and threaded discussions, add comments or respond to comments, and approve and merge commits. It's something that our team has found very useful in reducing the friction for reviewing small changes, so I thought I'd share it more broadly here! I would love feedback and welcome contributions :-)
>
> You can find more info here, and install the Chrome extension or the Firefox Add-on.
>
> Here are some screenshots, taken of actual Gerrit emails from the Gerrit repo; sorry for those inadvertently featured here! :-p
>
> Change emails: shows colored diffs, and you can comment on line changes directly.
>

> Comment emails: shows threaded discussions, and you can reply to comments directly.
>

> Threadlist view: shows Gerrit status for each email, so you can easily tell which ones you need to pay attention to.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Chung
>

> --

Luca Milanesio

Feb 15, 2018, 6:31:25 PM2/15/18
to Chung Wu, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I've installed on my Chrome browser, set https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com ... and then went to my GMail ... but without any luck.
The extension seems to keep on being disabled :-(

Any magic setting to define?

Luca.

Chung Wu

Feb 16, 2018, 11:03:56 AM2/16/18
to Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Turned out to be a bug on the options page. I've pushed out an update that fixes the bug and also hopefully makes the onboarding process a little friendlier. Thanks!

Chung

On Feb 15, 2018 3:31 PM, "Luca Milanesio" <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've installed on my Chrome browser, set https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com ... and then went to my GMail ... but without any luck.
The extension seems to keep on being disabled :-(

Any magic setting to define?

Luca.

> On 15 Feb 2018, at 23:22, Luca Milanesio <Luca.Mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *REALLY COOL* !!! Thanks for sharing it :-)
>
>> On 14 Feb 2018, at 19:06, Chung Wu <chu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been working on a Chrome extension that turns Gmail into a mini-Gerrit client, and makes your Gerrit emails more useful and actionable.  From within Gmail, you can view colored-diffs and threaded discussions, add comments or respond to comments, and approve and merge commits.  It's something that our team has found very useful in reducing the friction for reviewing small changes, so I thought I'd share it more broadly here!  I would love feedback and welcome contributions :-)
>>
>> You can find more info here, and install the Chrome extension or the Firefox Add-on.
>>
>> Here are some screenshots, taken of actual Gerrit emails from the Gerrit repo; sorry for those inadvertently featured here! :-p
>>
>> Change emails: shows colored diffs, and you can comment on line changes directly.
>>

>> Comment emails: shows threaded discussions, and you can reply to comments directly.
>>

>> Threadlist view: shows Gerrit status for each email, so you can easily tell which ones you need to pay attention to.
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Chung
>>

>> --
>> --

>> More info at http://groups.google.com/group/repo-discuss?hl=en
>>
>> ---

Luca Milanesio

Feb 16, 2018, 11:20:03 AM2/16/18
to Chung Wu, Luca Milanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Just posted my first feedback using the Chrome extension and worked fine.

I have to say that *saves so much of my time* to have the labelling of the Change status in my inbox :-)
Thanks again for your awesome idea !!

Luca.

> On 16 Feb 2018, at 16:03, Chung Wu <chu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Turned out to be a bug on the options page. I've pushed out an update that fixes the bug and also hopefully makes the onboarding process a little friendlier. Thanks!
>
> Chung
>
> On Feb 15, 2018 3:31 PM, "Luca Milanesio" <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed on my Chrome browser, set https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com ... and then went to my GMail ... but without any luck.
> The extension seems to keep on being disabled :-(
>
> Any magic setting to define?
>
> Luca.
>
> > On 15 Feb 2018, at 23:22, Luca Milanesio <Luca.Mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > *REALLY COOL* !!! Thanks for sharing it :-)
> >
> >> On 14 Feb 2018, at 19:06, Chung Wu <chu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've been working on a Chrome extension that turns Gmail into a mini-Gerrit client, and makes your Gerrit emails more useful and actionable. From within Gmail, you can view colored-diffs and threaded discussions, add comments or respond to comments, and approve and merge commits. It's something that our team has found very useful in reducing the friction for reviewing small changes, so I thought I'd share it more broadly here! I would love feedback and welcome contributions :-)
> >>
> >> You can find more info here, and install the Chrome extension or the Firefox Add-on.
> >>
> >> Here are some screenshots, taken of actual Gerrit emails from the Gerrit repo; sorry for those inadvertently featured here! :-p
> >>
> >> Change emails: shows colored diffs, and you can comment on line changes directly.
> >>

> >> Comment emails: shows threaded discussions, and you can reply to comments directly.
> >>

> >> Threadlist view: shows Gerrit status for each email, so you can easily tell which ones you need to pay attention to.
> >>

> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Chung
> >>

> >> --

Marcelo Ávila de Oliveira

Feb 20, 2018, 8:53:50 AM2/20/18
to Chung Wu, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I didn't have the same luck... the Gerrit for Gmail extensions seems to keep disabled :-(

--
Marcelo Ávila de Oliveira

Chung Wu

Feb 21, 2018, 12:08:46 AM2/21/18
to Marcelo Ávila de Oliveira, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
We've figured out the problem offline, and I've pushed a few updates to make it more obvious what the problem may be in the UI.  Thanks for the feedback!

Chung

David Pursehouse

Feb 21, 2018, 2:06:19 AM2/21/18
On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 4:06 AM Chung Wu <chu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I've been working on a Chrome extension that turns Gmail into a mini-Gerrit client, and makes your Gerrit emails more useful and actionable.  From within Gmail, you can view colored-diffs and threaded discussions, add comments or respond to comments, and approve and merge commits.  It's something that our team has found very useful in reducing the friction for reviewing small changes, so I thought I'd share it more broadly here!  I would love feedback and welcome contributions :-)

I remembered that Eryk had written a blog post about a Gerrit plugin for Gmail back in 2016, and it turns out it's the same one :)

You can find more info here, and install the Chrome extension or the Firefox Add-on.

Here are some screenshots, taken of actual Gerrit emails from the Gerrit repo; sorry for those inadvertently featured here! :-p

Change emails: shows colored diffs, and you can comment on line changes directly.
diffs

Comment emails: shows threaded discussions, and you can reply to comments directly.

Threadlist view: shows Gerrit status for each email, so you can easily tell which ones you need to pay attention to.
threadlist

Thanks!

Chung

Chung Wu

Chung Wu

Feb 27, 2018, 2:51:55 PM2/27/18
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
By the way, I just added support for Google Inbox to this, if for some reason that is how you roll :-)