Discuss creating gerrit lts releases

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Oct 11, 2017, 12:27:53 PM10/11/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Currently gerrit releases are supported differently sometimes months or a year after release. So i am proposing we make a lts release with a fixed release support and also when the release will not allow any new features.

This would get more users on a securer version of gerrit as they will know when they have to migrate (will have some time to migrate), allowing them to get security fixes or normal fixes.

Though a normal release should become end of life once a new release is created and then at some point pick a new lts release. Maybe a new lts release every 1 year or 1 year and half?

I pick 2.15 as the lts release and then new features should stop being backported once a new release is done.

Reason why this release as there is chatter 3.0 is the next release though not confirmed. That will be a huge migration for large sites such as gerrithub and others.

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2017, 12:40:28 PM10/11/17
to thomasmu...@yahoo.com, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,
we have already stable releases that are supported by the community for at least one year (often even more) and by commercial entities like GerritForge for many more years.

We already do bug fixes and security fix for them.

Do we really need a longer term release?

Feedback from the last Gerrit User Summit was exactly opposite to that: they would like to have more frequent releases to get new featured early on on stable branches.

Where is your requirement coming from? Do you have a real use case?

Luca

Sent from my iPhone

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Oct 11, 2017, 1:13:27 PM10/11/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi, the use case is for organisations that need time to migrate to a newer release like WMF. We had a problem when we upgraded from 2.12 to 2.13 with accounts, causing me and chad to look into a soloution, which is when edwin found a fix :) for one of the issues. The second one you fixed but your commit was abandoned. Also i wasen't meaning to change the process, i was just suggesting we define a lts policy as it's unclear how long a gerrit release will be supported for after a new majour release is done.

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2017, 4:14:20 PM10/11/17

On 11 Oct 2017, at 18:13, thomasmulhall410 via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi, the use case is for organisations that need time to migrate to a newer release like WMF. We had a problem when we upgraded from 2.12 to 2.13 with accounts, causing me and chad to look into a soloution, which is when edwin found a fix :)

We are still supporting 2.13 and you got your fix.

Not sure what a LTS would have given you more than that.

for one of the issues. The second one you fixed but your commit was abandoned. Also i wasen't meaning to change the process, i was just suggesting we define a lts policy as it's unclear how long a gerrit release will be supported for after a new majour release is done.

We typically support latest - 2.

I believe you’ll still see 2.13.x and 2.14.x releases.

Do You need more than that? You can get an Enterprise Support subscription from GerritForge.

What an LTS would do more than that?

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Oct 11, 2017, 4:27:25 PM10/11/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I thought we discontinued support for 2.13?

Luca Milanesio

Oct 12, 2017, 5:26:24 AM10/12/17
to thomasmu...@yahoo.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On 11 Oct 2017, at 21:27, thomasmulhall410 via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I thought we discontinued support for 2.13?

I may have missed the discussion thread on that ...

David Pursehouse

Oct 12, 2017, 6:16:13 AM10/12/17
to Luca Milanesio, thomasmu...@yahoo.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 6:26 PM Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11 Oct 2017, at 21:27, thomasmulhall410 via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I thought we discontinued support for 2.13?

I may have missed the discussion thread on that ...

There wasn't one.  IIRC I commented on a review that while we can accept patches on stable-2.13 I personally do not intend to make any more releases from it.

However there is no reason why another maintainer cannot make a release if they want to.

luca.mi...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2017, 6:26:22 AM10/12/17
to David Pursehouse, thomasmu...@yahoo.com, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On 12 Oct 2017, at 11:15, David Pursehouse <david.pu...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 6:26 PM Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 11 Oct 2017, at 21:27, thomasmulhall410 via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I thought we discontinued support for 2.13?

I may have missed the discussion thread on that ...

There wasn't one.  IIRC I commented on a review that while we can accept patches on stable-2.13 I personally do not intend to make any more releases from it.

However there is no reason why another maintainer cannot make a release if they want to.

The CI will build any fix merged to any stable branch. As long as people are fixing bug to them and they are getting merged, they are “officially supported” IMHO.

Having a formal release or not, is more related to David’s point :-)

thomasmu...@yahoo.com

Oct 12, 2017, 2:51:05 PM10/12/17
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Ah ok. thanks.