Unnecessary email notification

Jacek Ziora

Jun 13, 2016, 4:15:21 AM6/13/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi!

By default gerrit sends emails when new change is uploaded for review. But I don't want to receive such emails.

I want to receive emails when:
- I was added as reviewer
- I've got a comment

I don't want to receive emails when:
- new change for review was uploaded

Is it possible to do it?

Best regards,
Jacek Ziora

Edwin Kempin

Jun 13, 2016, 4:24:04 AM6/13/16
to Jacek Ziora, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Actually by default you shouldn't receive any emails when new changes are uploaded.
You would only get an email for new changes if
- you watch the project [1]
- if the project owner configured email notifications on project-level [2]
- if you are author or committer of the uploaded commit or
- if some plugin is installed that adds you automatically as reviewer to new changes

Best regards,
Jacek Ziora

Jacek Ziora

Jun 13, 2016, 4:37:26 AM6/13/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, jacek.ad...@gmail.com
Ok, I wasn't precise, sorry.

I am the administrator and during installation I've only turned on emails notifications (I thought that this is just enabling possibility of sending emails).
Users receive emails when they:
- doesn't watch the project
- are an author of commit

So what should I do now, so that users don't get emails even they are authors of commit?

I have one idea:
Go into settings and add this project to watch but uncheck all fields, but I'm not sure if this will work...

Or maybe I shouldn't enable email notifications during installation?

Best regards,
Jacek Ziora

Edwin Kempin

Jun 13, 2016, 4:48:34 AM6/13/16
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Jacek Ziora <jacek.ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, I wasn't precise, sorry.

I am the administrator and during installation I've only turned on emails notifications (I thought that this is just enabling possibility of sending emails).
Users receive emails when they:
- doesn't watch the project
- are an author of commit

So what should I do now, so that users don't get emails even they are authors of commit?
There is no configuration option to disable CCing of commit authors when pushing changes for review.
But if you run latest Gerrit you can control on push of a change who should be notified:

Edwin Kempin

Jun 13, 2016, 5:06:29 AM6/13/16
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Edwin Kempin <eke...@google.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Jacek Ziora <jacek.ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, I wasn't precise, sorry.

I am the administrator and during installation I've only turned on emails notifications (I thought that this is just enabling possibility of sending emails).
Users receive emails when they:
- doesn't watch the project
- are an author of commit

So what should I do now, so that users don't get emails even they are authors of commit?
There is no configuration option to disable CCing of commit authors when pushing changes for review.
But if you run latest Gerrit you can control on push of a change who should be notified:
And there was a fix for this change:

Jacek Ziora

Jun 13, 2016, 8:16:07 AM6/13/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, jacek.ad...@gmail.com
Thanks Edwin!
Now seems to be ok! :)

Best regards,
Jacek Ziora

Jacek Ziora

Jun 29, 2016, 3:05:54 AM6/29/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, jacek.ad...@gmail.com
Hi again!

There is one more email notification that I don't want to get.
When the change is merged, the owner of that change is getting an email about this. How to change this behaviour?
User's setting of watched project is:
-is:submitted (all fields are unmarked)

And the emails are still coming. Do I have to change something in global project settings?

Best regards,
Jacek Ziora

Edwin Kempin

Jun 29, 2016, 3:10:36 AM6/29/16
On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Jacek Ziora <jacek.ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi again!

There is one more email notification that I don't want to get.
When the change is merged, the owner of that change is getting an email about this. How to change this behaviour?
User's setting of watched project is:
-is:submitted (all fields are unmarked)

And the emails are still coming. Do I have to change something in global project settings?
AFAIK a change owner cannot disable this email.
But you may configure a local rule in your mail client to automatically delete these emails.

Jacek Ziora

Jun 29, 2016, 4:02:35 AM6/29/16
to Edwin Kempin, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
OK, thanks for information!