New project creation validation plugin

Hugo Arès

Dec 21, 2016, 11:37:15 AM12/21/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
We would like to open source a plugin we use at Ericsson to allow anyone to create
projects and enforce a project group structure (namespace). Let met explain how
this works and what this plugin does.

What we do is we grant "Create-project" global permissions to "Registered Users"
group and use this plugin enforce a project group structure. It restricts project
creation within this structure to project group owners only.

To start creating a project group structure, the user simply create a root
project, i.e. a project which inherits rights from "All-Projects". Ownership of
this root project, e.g. "some-organization" is given automatically to the user
who created it. From this point on, only the owners of the root project can create
child projects within that structure (some-organization/*).

We enforce the project group structure by preventing root project names from
containing slashes and child projects must start with their immediate parent name:

All-Projects
|--orgA
|  |--orgA/projectA
|  |--orgA/projectB
|--orgB
|  |--orgB/project123
|  |--subOrg
|     |--orgB/subOrg/project456

Internally, we called this plugin "enforce-project-group". Please let me know if
there are any objections to creating this plugin repo, or its name.

Thanks
Hugo

Edwin Kempin

Dec 22, 2016, 2:17:06 AM12/22/16
to Hugo Arès, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Sounds like a useful plugin :)
Not sure about the name though. Without your explanation I wouldn't have guessed the purpose of the plugin from this name.
But I also have no better suggestion...

Thanks
Hugo

Matthias Sohn

Dec 22, 2016, 3:41:48 AM12/22/16
to Edwin Kempin, Hugo Arès, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
+1, sounds interesting

How about the name "project-group-structure" plugin ?

-Matthias

Edwin Kempin

Dec 22, 2016, 3:45:49 AM12/22/16
to Matthias Sohn, Hugo Arès, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
That sounds better to me.

-Matthias

Hugo Arès

Jan 4, 2017, 1:54:26 PM1/4/17