Needing guidance/advice

Dustin Platter

Apr 22, 2014, 9:58:06 AM4/22/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Group,

     I am very new to Gerrit and working a project with only one other developer, also new to Gerrit, so I'm hoping someone here can provide some guidance/advice with some of the issues I'm running into. We are currently running Gerrit 2.8.1 on a Windows 2008 Server with a Git repository, on a closed development network. I did a fresh install late last week and was first to log in, so I was added to the Admin group. I added my co-worker using MySQL as well as a few other fixes (added emails manually-no internet, and added 'username:myself' to the account_external_ids table).
     My current issues/question is why can't either of us do the following: Add Groups, Change Project -> General Settings, change Project -> Access setting, or create/delete branches. When doing some research it appears there should be both 'List Groups' and 'Create Group' under the 'People' tab, but only the first is visible. The images I found also showed an input box with a 'Create Group' button, but that's not available to us either. Does this sound like a bug? a bad install? or are we not looking in the correct place?

     Ultimately I think our goal is to have the two developers as Admin's and Project Owners who can approve changes and handle the branches, while limiting the Intern to only code review approval. I would appreciate any help advice you can give cause our boss is pressuring us to make some progress and we are just spinning wheels on this.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 22, 2014, 10:24:18 AM4/22/14
to Dustin Platter, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Seems like your user has no admin permissions.

Try to remove:
/git
/db
/cache
/tmp

... and start from Gerrit init from scratch (using defaults).

The first user registered will be the admin.

Luca.

Edwin Kempin

Apr 22, 2014, 10:28:25 AM4/22/14
to Luca Milanesio, Dustin Platter, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

On 22 Apr 2014, at 14:58, Dustin Platter <dustinpl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Group,

     I am very new to Gerrit and working a project with only one other developer, also new to Gerrit, so I'm hoping someone here can provide some guidance/advice with some of the issues I'm running into. We are currently running Gerrit 2.8.1 on a Windows 2008 Server with a Git repository, on a closed development network. I did a fresh install late last week and was first to log in, so I was added to the Admin group. I added my co-worker using MySQL as well as a few other fixes (added emails manually-no internet, and added 'username:myself' to the account_external_ids table).
Why did you do this directly in the database using MySQL? It is likely that there is an inconsistency and this is why nobody has admin permissions now.
I would start from scratch as Luca suggested and then use the Gerrit UI to add your co-worker to the admin group. If you need to add email addresses without confirmation use the SSH set-account command [1] instead of doing manual updates in the database.

[1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/cmd-set-account.html

Dustin Platter

Apr 22, 2014, 10:40:48 AM4/22/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Luca Milanesio, Dustin Platter
I will try a re-install of Gerrit this morning and let you know what the results are.

The reason I used MySQL is because I noticed that no one appeared to be assigned in the account_group_members table, and my entry in account_external_ids did not match my co-workers (who was having more success at the time).

With regards to adding email, I'm not exactly sure where that command is suppose to be entered? Should that be run in a command line on the Development Server where Gerrit is installed? If so does it matter the directory I'm in when I run it?
     What exactly is the meaning of " cat ~/.ssh/id_watcher.pub | ssh -p 29418 review.example.com gerrit"? There is no description of which tags are what?

Thanks for the quick responses. It's really appreciated
Cyber

Dustin Platter

Gitian

Apr 22, 2014, 4:27:00 PM4/22/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com

I am a Git beginner, I am trying to download the code from cloud and server. I am always getting the following error message,

FATAL: R any VRSH/.../LINUX/android/abi/cpp xyz_id_rsa DENIED by fallthru
(or you mis-spelled the reponame)
error: Cannot fetch LINUX/android/abi/cpp

Git and Ubuntu are installed properly. bin and environment paths are set.

The following steps were followed to download the code:

~/SV/.repo $ curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo
~/SV/.repo $ ~/bin/repo init -u g...@xyzcorp.com:VS/manifests.git
~/SV/.repo $ repo sync

Fetching project LINUX/android/abi/cpp
FATAL: R any VRSH/.../LINUX/android/abi/cpp xyz_1_id_rsa DENIED by fallthru
(or you mis-spelled the reponame)
FATAL: R any VRSH/.../LINUX/android/abi/cpp xyz_id_rsa DENIED by fallthru
(or you mis-spelled the reponame)
error: Cannot fetch LINUX/android/abi/cpp
Please help me in resolving the above problem.

Dustin Platter

Apr 22, 2014, 4:38:28 PM4/22/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Luca Milanesio, Dustin Platter
Okay,
     So I have re-installed Gerrit (twice) and am unable to get it to successfully start. I've listed my settings below. The two error messages I've found that I believe are relevant are 'Error filterstart' and 'Cannot create ReviewDB....Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'. I've spent the last 5-6 hours trying to track down the cause of this but I've yet to resolve it. Any advice/suggestion?

Settings

Git Location: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Bonobo.Git.Server\App_Data\Repositories

Database type: mysql

Server Hostname: localhost
Server port: 3306
Database name: RviewDB            //also tried myDB
Database user: gerrit                   //also tried sandbox

Auth method: HTTP
custom HTTP header: n

SMTP hostname: localhost
SMTP port: default
SMTP encryption: none
SMTP username:

Run as: jenkins
Java runtime: D:\Java\jre7
Copy C:...gerrit.war: Y

Liston on address: *
Listen on Port: 29418

Behind reverse proxy: n
Use SSL: n
Listen on address: 8081
Canonical URL: myIPaddress:8081/gerrit

Dustin Platter

Apr 22, 2014, 4:41:19 PM4/22/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Gitian,

     I can not provide any help as I am new. But I would ask that you post your own topic for help as your question is not related to the topic at hand. Also, posting off topic questions within another persons thread leads to multiple conversation occurring at the same time that are in fact unrelated (thread-hijacking).

Thanks and best of luck

Dustin Platter

Apr 23, 2014, 3:58:16 PM4/23/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Any advice? Gerrit is currently dead in the water, and I've run out of ideas to try. I tried research the error message, but it's not very detailed as to what is wrong and I haven't found any solutions. I'd like to get this working and make some progress I can report back to my boss.

David Ostrovsky

Apr 23, 2014, 4:08:07 PM4/23/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com

Am Mittwoch, 23. April 2014 21:58:16 UTC+2 schrieb Dustin Platter:
Any advice?

1. Try on a sane OS first: (e. g. Linux) and on H2 instead of MySQL.
You need 5 min. to set it up and running.

2. Replace H2 with MySQL or better with PostgreSQL.

3. Replace the sane OS with the one you've told us you are using.

[Optional] Skip step number 3.

Dustin Platter

Apr 23, 2014, 4:10:40 PM4/23/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
I don't have the option of re-installing the OS as the rest of our environment and apps are up and running.

With regards to using H2, what steps are different there? How would I go about doing that? I know MySQL is installed, and I know the steps to grant user access permission but I'm not sure how I would do this with H2 (or what H2 even is).

Luca Milanesio

Apr 23, 2014, 4:11:43 PM4/23/14
to Dustin Platter, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dustin,
why don't you try a fully packaged distribution to get started ?

For instance:

Alternatively you can try Gerrit as a service on:

If you want to learn on how to set-up and use Gerrit with simple steps, I do suggest the book:

Gerrit set-up is not rocket science ... but requires some know-how on Git, DBMS and Java. Documentation is improving as well on a daily basis, with now a full text search box.

HTH.

Luca.

On 23 Apr 2014, at 20:58, Dustin Platter <dustinpl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any advice? Gerrit is currently dead in the water, and I've run out of ideas to try. I tried research the error message, but it's not very detailed as to what is wrong and I haven't found any solutions. I'd like to get this working and make some progress I can report back to my boss.

Dustin Platter

Apr 23, 2014, 4:23:32 PM4/23/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Dustin Platter
Thanks for the response.

What is the difference between the .war file I install from and the packaged distribution? Honestly trying to educate myself to better understand the difference. I will give the .msi a try though and see if it improves my results.

I am not able to use the gerrithub service as we are working on a closed development environment, so the system has no internet.

I will see about the book. Currently we have been using http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-42271 to get it setup. Unfortunately though setting up/maintaining Gerrit is just one of the many things I'm expected to learn and handle with this position. (we are doing server set ups, databases, programming, testing, and documentation). So it's alot on my plate.

Dustin Platter

Apr 23, 2014, 4:26:01 PM4/23/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Dustin Platter
Sorry to do a second follow up. But it looks like GerritForge requires a license, is that correct? My boss is pretty insistent we use all free ware in order to keep cost down (never-mind, that it takes us forever to get things setup)

Luca Milanesio

Apr 23, 2014, 4:31:35 PM4/23/14
to Dustin Platter, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
GerritForge requires a license for support: if you do not want any support then you do not need any license at all.

Gerrit is Apache 2.0 and 100% OpenSource, but "open" does not mean "free": support is never free as you typically spend time (that costs money) or pay someone to spend time on your behalf (that costs money as well) :-)

Luca.

On 23 Apr 2014, at 21:26, Dustin Platter <dustinpl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry to do a second follow up. But it looks like GerritForge requires a license, is that correct? My boss is pretty insistent we use all free ware in order to keep cost down (never-mind, that it takes us forever to get things setup)

Luca Milanesio

Apr 23, 2014, 4:33:40 PM4/23/14
to Dustin Platter, repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to mention ... books are not free either :-) It seems that Amazon charges for it ;-)

But documentation is fairly extensive, so you can go through it and follow the set-up step-by-step.

HTH.

Luca.

Edwin Kempin

Apr 24, 2014, 1:48:05 AM4/24/14
to Dustin Platter, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
Okay,
     So I have re-installed Gerrit (twice) and am unable to get it to successfully start. I've listed my settings below. The two error messages I've found that I believe are relevant are 'Error filterstart' and 'Cannot create ReviewDB....Cannot create JDBC driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'. I've spent the last 5-6 hours trying to track down the cause of this but I've yet to resolve it. Any advice/suggestion?

Settings

Git Location: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Bonobo.Git.Server\App_Data\Repositories

Database type: mysql

Server Hostname: localhost
Server port: 3306
Database name: RviewDB            //also tried myDB
ReviewDB? Do you have this typo just in the mail?
Not sure if the case matters, but by default this is called 'reviewdb'

Database user: gerrit                   //also tried sandbox
The default username for the database is 'gerrit2', but this of course depends on how you have set up the database.

Dustin Platter

Apr 24, 2014, 8:50:33 AM4/24/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Dustin Platter, Luca Milanesio
Edwin,

Yes, that typo was only in this forum. During install I've used both 'ReviewDB', 'reviewDB', and 'reviewdb' non of which works. It seems that despite what case I type it in during creation, certain areas ignore the case.

I've never heard anything about using a default login. According to the site I followed, we provide the username/password to use (which I've tried with both our gerrit and sandbox users).

Edwin Kempin

Apr 24, 2014, 8:56:43 AM4/24/14
to Dustin Platter, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
What I meant was that all examples in the database setup guide [1] are based on a 'gerrit2' user. Not sure if you followed this guide.

[1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/database-setup.html

Dustin Platter

Apr 24, 2014, 9:01:25 AM4/24/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com, Dustin Platter, Luca Milanesio
They guide my co-worker and I have been following is "http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-42271". However, it does contain the same steps for creating a new database, users, granting access etc. I believe as long as you are consistent with the username/password you use it should be fine (I don't believe it matters if its gerrit2, gerrit, sandbox, or myuser).

Edwin Kempin

Apr 24, 2014, 9:12:17 AM4/24/14
to Dustin Platter, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio
They guide my co-worker and I have been following is "http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-42271". However, it does contain the same steps for creating a new database, users, granting access etc. I believe as long as you are consistent with the username/password you use it should be fine (I don't believe it matters if its gerrit2, gerrit, sandbox, or myuser).
Sure, which username is used doesn't matter as long as it is consistent. Just wanted to make sure that it is consistent in your setup.

Dustin Platter

May 6, 2014, 2:52:37 PM5/6/14
to repo-d...@googlegroups.com
Just posting an update here for anyone that may experience this problem in the future.

Several re-installs failed to fix the issue. The two things we were able to do, that resolved the issue were:
  • Fix all references to the database (apparently there was on instance with different capitalization)
  • Remove the 'All Projects' folder from Git server (this will get rebuilt later)
Hope that helps