Proposal to implement an optional 'pushurl' for a remote in the manifest file

Steve Rae

Aug 11, 2016, 12:44:37 PM8/11/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I don't know whether this has been discussed previously - my apologies if it has....

It would be beneficial to be able to specify the 'pushurl' in the remote specification section in the manifest file.
This would allow the "fetch" and the "push" URL's to be different - a typical use case is for "fetching" from a local repo using the 'git:' protocol, and "pushing" to a gerrit server with the 'ssh:' protocol....

The attached patch is an attempt to implement this.

Thanks, Steve
0001-implement-optional-pushurl-the-manifest-file.patch

Quentin Neill

Aug 15, 2016, 11:07:07 AM8/15/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
+1 for this feature.

connecting together these remote endpoints completes the round-trip flow of information needed by developers.

Kenny Ho

Aug 15, 2016, 11:56:35 AM8/15/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
We have been using pushInsteadOf (client side .gitconfig) to deal with situation like such as pulling from mirror and pushing to master.

But that's probably not as flexible and clear as your proposal from the manifest perspective.

Kenny

Steve Rae

Aug 15, 2016, 2:37:26 PM8/15/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
yes -- pushInsteadOf does work properly...
However, I would rather update the manifest once, rather than assisting more than 200 developers to get their local .gitconfig correct.....

Steve Rae

Aug 19, 2016, 7:36:12 PM8/19/16
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion